U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 05:20 AM

7,663 posts, read 8,950,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
What won't you see elsewhere?

Montanans!
You can find Montanans outside of the state. They tend to find each other. I work with a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:45 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,568,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
You can find Montanans outside of the state. They tend to find each other. I work with a few.
I now envision an enclave in the oil patch, with a sign proclaiming "Little Montana".

Old 10-06-2017, 10:23 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,763,319 times
Quote:
I now envision an enclave in the oil patch, with a sign proclaiming "Little Montana".
You should see the Montana reunion picnic in the Seattle area they have every year.

Montana isn't just a physical location on the map, it's more of an ideal or dream. Those that love the state have it deeply ingrained into their spirit. It never leaves. Even those that lived here and hate it for whatever reason, can't forget it or just leave it as proven over and over by NDak15.

I had to live in some very unsavory places (to my mind) when in the Navy. I'd never go back to New Orleans, San Diego or Seattle by choice, but I don't go to their threads and troll them because once I left, I harbored no hatred for them.
Montana however inspires deep emotional effects of love or hate.

For those that have never lived here, it's a mystical almost otherworldly place they see as a wild Utopia in their mind. It's a dream that may have little in common with reality, but it's how they perceive it. A wild land of severe weather, boundless wildlife, breathtaking beauty and strong independent people that still have morals and values other places have lost. Some if that is true, but we also have few jobs, high priced real estate, and share problems of drugs and crime with the rest of the country.

There's a lot of things that make Montana special, but what Montana has that no place else has are the people who love it and make it far more than just a place to live. Their love converts Montana from just another mundane map coordinate into Home.

You don't have to look for what Montana has that other places don't, because Montana is always with you deep in your bones.
Yeah that's a romantic way to look at it, but it's what makes Montana special. Montanans who make it special and are the real reason it's such a unique place to live. ��

Old 10-06-2017, 01:28 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,568,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
You don't have to look for what Montana has that other places don't, because Montana is always with you deep in your bones.
When I moved back from SoCal (by way of a year in Boise) -- as I drove across the Montana border for the first time in 28 years, I had that head-to-toe frisson that tells you -- this is right. This is home.

With 20-20 hindsight, I'd have done better to tough it out here, but youth and flyover economics aren't the wisest combination.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:58 PM

7,663 posts, read 8,950,244 times
Quote:
I think a lot of those places likely qualify as Little Montana. Once you get west of the Missouri you feel like you're in Eastern Montana as it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
You should see the Montana reunion picnic in the Seattle area they have every year.

Montana isn't just a physical location on the map, it's more of an ideal or dream. Those that love the state have it deeply ingrained into their spirit. It never leaves. Even those that lived here and hate it for whatever reason, can't forget it or just leave it as proven over and over by NDak15.

I had to live in some very unsavory places (to my mind) when in the Navy. I'd never go back to New Orleans, San Diego or Seattle by choice, but I don't go to their threads and troll them because once I left, I harbored no hatred for them.
Montana however inspires deep emotional effects of love or hate.

For those that have never lived here, it's a mystical almost otherworldly place they see as a wild Utopia in their mind. It's a dream that may have little in common with reality, but it's how they perceive it. A wild land of severe weather, boundless wildlife, breathtaking beauty and strong independent people that still have morals and values other places have lost. Some if that is true, but we also have few jobs, high priced real estate, and share problems of drugs and crime with the rest of the country.

There's a lot of things that make Montana special, but what Montana has that no place else has are the people who love it and make it far more than just a place to live. Their love converts Montana from just another mundane map coordinate into Home.

Yeah that's a romantic way to look at it, but it's what makes Montana special. Montanans who make it special and are the real reason it's such a unique place to live. ��
Interesting response. While I rarely agree with you, I do agree that it is impossible to forget it and it has certainly shaped who I am. And Montanans do seem to somehow find each other no matter where they move.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:03 PM

593 posts, read 198,224 times
grizzly bears that enjoy the taste of human flesh,
Alaskan grizzlys prefer salmon

Old 10-06-2017, 09:19 PM

2,902 posts, read 4,044,690 times
The scenery in Montana is nice.....the people is what makes Montana special.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:31 PM

6,045 posts, read 2,790,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
The high likelihood you will hit a deer with your vehicle.
The probability of that is MUCH higher in the southeastern US.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:48 PM

343 posts, read 255,201 times
Hey we have man-eating grizzly bears, too. I get a kick out of the concept of
"problem bears". My dream job is driving problem bears around.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:03 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,962,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The probability of that is MUCH higher in the southeastern US.
I was thinking of the recent article in Billings Gazette where State Farm insurance reported West Virginia 1st & Montana was 2nd for number of vehicle claims caused by hitting deer. If you live in MT, it would be unusual if you have never hit a deer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or