U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 08:21 AM

605 posts, read 1,140,852 times

Advertisements

Hey all, next summer I am looking at come to Montana for a vacation with my wife. Any recommendations on where to stay and where to go? The state is so big I don't even know where to start lol.

Definitely want to see some of the national parks, do some fishing, etc.

We will be coming from DFW area and most likely flying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 09:13 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,278,650 times
Glacier and Yellowstone are probably a must see and I highly recommend a trip down the Beartooth Hwy from the NE entrance to Yellowstone to Red Lodge MT.
Whatever you decide, you want to do it quick so you can make reservations for the places you are visiting.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:41 PM

4,747 posts, read 4,030,009 times
American Airlines runs direct flights Dallas to Bozeman during summer.

Here's the state tourism site Montana
The state Highway map & info packet they send upon your request is really helpful.

If you want guided fishing trip that needs be booked pretty soon. If fishing on your own there is no hurry. Here's fishing license info.
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Fishing Licenses & Permits

As far as places to stay in Montana, I prefer Hilton Garden Inns but there are only a few so Holiday Inns or Hampton Inns as 2nd choice. There are also funky/nice places to stay if you know specifically where you are going--- post & people will recommend.

But regardless, you do need make your reservations for everything including car rentals within the next month so you can get what you want.

Montana is a road trip type place, so you need a car, map, & cooler full of snacks & drinks. Enjoy your time here.

Last edited by historyfan; 10-18-2017 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 10-18-2017, 08:10 PM

662 posts, read 940,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
American Airlines runs direct flights Dallas to Bozeman during summer.

Here's the state tourism site Montana
The state Highway map & info packet they send upon your request is really helpful.

If you want guided fishing trip that needs be booked pretty soon. If fishing on your own there is no hurry. Here's fishing license info.
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Fishing Licenses & Permits

As far as places to stay in Montana, I prefer Hilton Garden Inns but there are only a few so Holiday Inns or Hampton Inns as 2nd choice. There are also funky/nice places to stay if you know specifically where you are going--- post & people will recommend.

But regardless, you do need make your reservations for everything including car rentals within the next month so you can get what you want.

Montana is a road trip type place, so you need a car, map, & cooler full of snacks & drinks. Enjoy your time here.
Good advice.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:26 PM

7,738 posts, read 9,033,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Hey all, next summer I am looking at come to Montana for a vacation with my wife. Any recommendations on where to stay and where to go? The state is so big I don't even know where to start lol.

Definitely want to see some of the national parks, do some fishing, etc.

We will be coming from DFW area and most likely flying.
How long are you staying? Do you prefer nature or do you also like history?

Old 10-22-2017, 10:09 AM

605 posts, read 1,140,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
How long are you staying? Do you prefer nature or do you also like history?
We will probably stay 5-7 days but I would like to travel around the state quite abit.

I didn't realize that is gets that full during the summer, would I be better off waiting til Sept-Oct and all the kids are back in school that travel during summer break?

Old 10-22-2017, 01:07 PM

7,738 posts, read 9,033,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
We will probably stay 5-7 days but I would like to travel around the state quite abit.

I didn't realize that is gets that full during the summer, would I be better off waiting til Sept-Oct and all the kids are back in school that travel during summer break?
There are definitely fewer people in the fall and it is nice to visit then, but summer is usually when the roads are less likely to have snow and ice in the national parks. Speaking of which, 5 to 7 days will make for a quick visit to Yellowstone and Glacier. If you fly into Kalispell or Bozeman you are going to have a day's drive between the two parks. What I would do is go to Yellowstone and explore a little of southwest Montana and northwest Wyoming. Hit Grand Teton National Park as well. You could do Yellowstone and Glacier in that time frame but you might be on a tight schedule. I would pick one park or the other. Once you do that most of us on here could tell you a bit about the surrounding areas.

Just my $.02.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:45 PM

4,747 posts, read 4,030,009 times
It depends on what you want to see & do. Much of summer activities/attraction/festivals etc are summer only & close at Labor Day. That said, I love Yellowstone park in September, but go before equinox because they is almost always a storm over equinox & deep snow could fall. It can be gorgeous in October, but I would not want you to risk your vacation on weather vagaries.

A week is only enough time to do one or two of the tourist "regions" the travel dept has designated. Montana is big. If you had all summer you could only hit the high spots. Use the scenic byways and get off the interstate to enjoy it. Get that travel packet (or go online) and pick an area or two, then come here for advice.

Keep on mind in Montana we think super heavy traffic is a dozen cars within a mile of driving. So full is relative.

The hotels do fill up and you do not want be stuck going an hour or two more than you want to some night, just because you think you can wing it picking up a room last minute. If you had planned to stay within any national park, that might not be possible unless you have reservations 2 years in advance. But nearby, you should still be able to book something for another month or so.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:40 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,067,346 times
I'd pick whichever park you wish to see, and plan to spend my time in that part of the state. I'd also plan to go in a "shoulder" season, so as to avoid crowds. If you end up going to Yellowstone, Bozeman is a nice place to check out. So are Butte and Helena, if you want to do some driving.

If you go for Glacier-check out the Kalispell and Whitefish areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana