U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 02:00 AM

4,515 posts, read 4,468,018 times

Advertisements

Whitefish will tend to have some more to much more expensive rentals and real estate than Kalispell but there is always a range. I am told the market is tight, maybe about as tight as it ever has been.

Whitefish will probably have more people from elsewhere and more rich people.

Whether you live in Kalispell, Whitefish and elsewhere in the area, you can partake in social activities in both. They are close enough.

I don't think CityData is likely to produce dating leads but being outgoing is generally a good idea. Carry that into real life. Make an in with neighbors, folks at a bar, church, gun range, snowmobile club, whatever then met their friends, family, co-workers and see who's around and has similar interests. Just got to start and then go thru layers.

I dunno the exact numbers but I think there might be 500 - 1000 Grizzlies in state and probably at least 5-10 times as many black bears. There will be sightings pretty regularly and a few problems per week or month somewhere but if you keep your trash secure and make noise on trail (and try to travel with others) the odds are you won't have problems. But the number of people who do is probably rising.

Rattlesnakes are out there but I wouldn't consider them a common at the house problem.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-11-2017 at 02:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 02:35 AM

13 posts, read 10,670 times
Great advice @NW Crow.

Another thing I was wondering is do you guys have ice fishing in Montana? I've always wanted to try it and that would be another fun hobby during the winter.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:36 PM

7,978 posts, read 9,486,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan724 View Post
Thanks y'all for the responses! After doing some more research, I think I like Kalispell and Whitefish. Which of these two towns would be best in your opinion for a single guy in his lower thirties looking to find a good woman to settle down with and raise a family, ( any single ladies in here ) and start a business? Much difference in cost of living and housing prices? Things to do downtown?

Off topic but just curious what NFL team do most Montana folks pull for? I like the Redskins myself, do local native Americans not take kindly to Redskins gear being worn around town?
Both of them have a high cost of living, not sure which is cheaper. Whitefish is more of a resort so maybe there. I wouldn't count on a good dating scene in either town just due to their sizes. People in Montana tend to be Seahawks or Broncos fans. You're likely okay with a Redskins jersey. Plus that area doesn't have as big of a Native population as say Polson.

Quote:
Another question I just thought of, are there lots of Grizzly and Black bear roming around where people live in the flat head valley? What about rattle snakes, ever see any under your house in the crawl space?
There are both species. You're less likely to see a grizzly closer to town. If you're hiking bring bear spray. Be aware also that many people live in bear country their entire lives and rarely or never see them. I don't think rattlesnakes are as common there as they are on the eastern plains, maybe someone else can chime in.

Quote:
Great advice @NW Crow.

Another thing I was wondering is do you guys have ice fishing in Montana? I've always wanted to try it and that would be another fun hobby during the winter.
Yes, there is ice fishing in Montana. I'm not sure the best spots though.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:29 PM

Between Southwest and Northwest Montana, which is more scenic? Cold? Friendlier people?

Old 12-11-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Between Southwest and Northwest Montana, which is more scenic? Cold? Friendlier people?
Both are scenic, northwest more so. I like the people in southwest much more.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Both are scenic, northwest more so. I like the people in southwest much more.
Why do you like the people in the Southwest more? More friendly and outgoing?

Old 12-12-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Why do you like the people in the Southwest more? More friendly and outgoing?
I don't like the northwest as it's a mix of ultra liberals and ultra conservatives with a whole lot of complaining from both. I lived in that area and left after less than a year and that was a big part of it. Also lots of pretentiousness. Southwest Montana is more welcoming of outsiders, although Bozeman is also pretentious. Just sharing my experiences, do with it what you will.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:01 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,077,490 times
Quote:
Thanks y'all for the responses! After doing some more research, I think I like Kalispell and Whitefish. Which of these two towns would be best in your opinion for a single guy in his lower thirties looking to find a good woman to settle down with and raise a family, ( any single ladies in here ) and start a business? Much difference in cost of living and housing prices? Things to do downtown?

Off topic but just curious what NFL team do most Montana folks pull for? I like the Redskins myself, do local native Americans not take kindly to Redskins gear being worn around town?
Both are expensive, personally, Libby is a fantastic little town that I really like.
Who cares about millionaires playing a kids game??? I've never heard the local Indians that I know ever bring up the subject.

Quote:
Another question I just thought of, are there lots of Grizzly and Black bear roming around where people live in the flat head valley? What about rattle snakes, ever see any under your house in the crawl space?
Lots of bears of both species, you need to pay attention outside city limits. Not too many rattlers in the NW, but in the SW around Dillon or Ennis, there are plenty. East of the divide we have prairie rattlers. Not real big, not aggressive, and you only really have to watch for them during the warm months. They're reptiles, so exothermic. The hibernate when it gets cold.

Quote:
Great advice @NW Crow.

Ice fishing is great! Lots of fish and species depending on where you go. Go with someone that can read the ice. You don't want to take a cold bath in January when it's below zero.

Quote:
The small towns are great. Love Thompson Falls, Nixon, Troy area. People here are friendly, but a lot of Scandinavian and German heritage, so a lot more reserved than what you may be used to. Takes a while for folks to warm up.
Good people all over the state, most out of staters are concentrated in the larger towns, so results may vary.

Mostly, it depends on you. You take folks for who the are, don't be judgemental of folks that don't share your politics, you'll be fine. Try to convince them they're idiots because they didn't vote for Obama or did vote for Trump, you will likely not fit in well.
Many people here value things like living their life their way, not having some govt official looking over their shoulder, and raising their kids with morals to be worth a lot more than money.

It's a different place than the rest of the country. Spend some time here, travel, talk to folks, take time to really get to know us before you dive in.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:43 AM

1,454 posts, read 3,716,926 times
This link pretty much means the secret is out and you'd better bring plenty of $$$ or have a credit score of close to 800 ... and what we lack in sales tax is more than made up for in property taxes etc. It's no longer 'inexpensive' to live here (was it ever?). Rental market is very tight as well.

Right now we've been locked into a week of gray/gloomy weather ... if you like sun this isn't the place to be in the Winter. The indigenous people would often vacate the 'Valley of the Dark' this time of year. Some folks still do ... typically they are the wealthy ones who don't need to work anymore and have 2nd homes in CA, AZ, etc.

Kelley's Market Trends: November Residential Sales - Flathead Beacon

Old 12-13-2017, 04:06 PM

4,515 posts, read 4,468,018 times
Ice fishing links best ice fishing montana - Google Search

Read up. Get a fishing license. Go out and talk to some folks doing it for tips. Bring something to share (drink or food of choice). Learn what ice conditions are safe vs sketchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or