Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 11:49 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,195,784 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever hear the name Rudy Stanko?

In 1998 he got a ticket and sued the state and they got rid of the unlimited speed limits in MT.

Great guy huh? I think his friends call him Stinko (!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 09:22 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,939,377 times
I haven't heard his name thrown out in many years, and I'm sure most Montanans wouldn't know the name if they heard it.

Everyone seems to know that Montana once did not have a set daytime speed limit on the interstates, but they likely have no idea why that changed. They probably blame the feds as opposed to blaming an elected judicial body that sided with some idiot who believed driving in excess of 120 mph was "reasonable and prudent" because of his history as a professional race car driver (or something like that). The MT Supreme Court decision forced the legislature to act.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:12 PM

153 posts, read 200,826 times
Our supreme court blows. Montanans keep voting for more of the same on the bench; oh well.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb going fishing View Post
Our supreme court blows. Montanans keep voting for more of the same on the bench; oh well.
Horrible, isn't it? The overwhelming majority of Montanans are too complacent to change it, of course we know that, but for my own part I never, ever vote for an incumbent justice against their opponent, nor do I ever vote to retain a justice.

What else can you do, really?

Old 12-15-2017, 10:52 AM

745 posts, read 1,284,828 times
Why is it in my and my family's interest that teenagers, drunks and angry drivers should be allowed to drive at speeds much more likely to endanger my health and safety?

Old 12-15-2017, 04:31 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
The Feds did say no more matching funds for highway construction to MT unless enacted the 55 mph energy conservation limit. I would have to look up old newspapers to give you specific reference.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:46 AM

138 posts, read 266,398 times
nothing wrong with reasonable speed limits. Nobody needs to go over 80 on the interstate... and in many cases, 75 is too high from ID line to west of Deer Lodge. I don't like the Govt regulating everything, but too many stupid people out there that don't know how to drive safely as it is.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:03 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
The Feds did say no more matching funds for highway construction to MT unless enacted the 55 mph energy conservation limit. I would have to look up old newspapers to give you specific reference.
You are right. The feds are the ones, that caused Montana to have speed limits. And they used no federal money for roads and highways, unless Montana limited the speed limits within the state. Montana responded by setting speed limits on roads and highways. The state highway budget could not do otherwise.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:18 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
FWIW, it hit Wyoming too (damn tyrants).

I remember getting a $5 "waste of natural resources" ticket for 182 in a 55. We had a couple mile section of road blocked off with a LEO buddy running radar. My roommate hit 198, just couldn't hit 2-tons. Ahh... wasted youth

Old 01-06-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You are right. The feds are the ones, that caused Montana to have speed limits. And they used no federal money for roads and highways, unless Montana limited the speed limits within the state. Montana responded by setting speed limits on roads and highways. The state highway budget could not do otherwise.
Well, 55 mph was the speed limit imposed on all 50 states under federal legislation that set a national maximum speed limit in the mid-70s. The rule was eliminated during the Clinton administration, and the Montana legislature gave us the “reasonable and prudent” standard in 95’, which was repealed in 99’ after the state Supreme Court ruled in favor of Rudy Stanko.

So the feds weren’t mandating our speed limit in 1999, guys.

And I’m not saying that a non-numerical speed limit was a great idea, not in retrospect, and I think it would’ve been replaced with a numerical speed limit by now anyway.

Just saying, for those who might think that our way of life (or whatever) was assaulted by this change, don’t point fingers at D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: