U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:17 AM

989 posts, read 3,128,122 times

Advertisements

We sure are getting hotter than what we use to get, it was not long ago that 80's were normal. I can take the heat but the smoke and haze that comes with it is bothersome.
By the way, what is that haze we get in the Helena valley? Its not just smoke because I see it before fire season starts some years, I have wondered if it has to do with the lakes an the evaporate level or something... anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 02:18 AM

or maybe its fine dust... ?

Old 03-22-2008, 07:32 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,476,406 times
Fine dust = Montana smog.....

Old 03-29-2008, 09:20 PM

13 posts, read 39,608 times
Default Work in Helena

My husband is in the commercial tire business (i.e. road service of truck tires & off-road), and we've found a couple of tire service companies in the yellow pages in Helena. Can anyone give us some additional info for the Helena area?

We were also wondering about the neighborhoods. We'd like to rent a small house with a yard that's affordable ($700-$850). Thanks for any help any of you gan give.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:53 AM

6 posts, read 13,775 times
I've been in Helena for 34 years and love it here. The climate is fairly arid. We get very little rain, about 11 inches per year, because we are in the shadow of the mountains. That means that when the storms come in from the west they usually drop their moisture on the west side of the mountains in order to get over the mountains, then don't have much left for helena. Personally, I love it because it means we get lots of sunshine.

As for gardening, the growing season runs from late may to early september so you need to pick crops that will mature in that time frame. You will also be watering a lot. If you are on city water this can add up cost wise.

Speaking of water, we generally have great water here. Especially the well water. The down side is you have to go quite deep to find water.

If you have been reading the newspaper you probably already know about the cost of housing. It really depends on what your expectations are. Keep in mind that what you see advertised in the paper tends to be the higher end houses for sale. There are still houses in the 1,000 sq foot range under 200k. Which I think is attrocious, but that's what they are asking. When someone quotes you a sq ft size always ask how they figured that. Many houses here have full basements but the sq footage will be figured only on the main floor. For instance, my house is classed as a 1,000 sq foot house, but with my full basement it actually has 2,000 sq ft of living space. Just something to be aware of.

Job wise you should be in pretty good shape. The state govt is always looking for accounting folks. You will probably be making about 22,000 per year without a degree. With a bachelors degree you should be in the 24k to 30 k range, depending on experience.

I know nothing about the tire business so can't help there. I'd guess 10 bucks per hour, but that's just a guess.

Yes it does get hot here in the summer, but the plus side is that it always cools down nicely at night.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,116 times
Default Helena is a great start...

I am not sure from where in Alabama you would be transferring but I came here just over three years ago. We officially grew up in Florida. However, we made a home in Montana after living in Alaska, Wisconsin, and Missouri.
As far as raising a family here, yes, there is not a lot of electronic or high-tech entertainment, but if you want to hike, fish, camp, or picnic Helena is great because you can do it all in less than a 20 minute drive. I have never had to worry about my kids going in to a public restroom with me standing outside the door, or playing in the backyard and fear someone will take them. There is crime everywhere but not like most other places. When there is a murder, it is BIG news. Since I have lived here, I can count on one hand the number of murders in Helena. When we lived in Missouri, there were two or three a night on the news.
There is a plethora of outdoor activities so close to Helena that you can stay active in all seasons. The weather here is so different from anything you have experienced. Yeah, it can get to be 113 here without an issue, but in the shade you can still breathe (try that in the south). If you want to be active in that heat, you have to be smart like planning your activity at the cooler hours. We have sun and light until almost 11 pm in the summer and as early as 4:30 am. I think there are plenty of hours to get your outside time in during the summer. Winters can get cold! You just prepare ahead of time.
I think you can definately make the transition without any issues. Jobs can be the hard part, just like anywhere else, getting hired can be more about who you know than what you know. Being the capitol, we have an abundance of state jobs. Blue collar work can be found but it is not the greatest of pay. If you do not wish for the Taj Mahal, you can certainly afford to live here and find decent housing. I think rent is a little high, but that is becuase of the college and government need for it here in town.
I encourage you to run not walk from the south. (This coming from a true southern girl) I know this will upset many native Montanans but you can have such a better quality of life here, just don't come here trying to change it and appreciate the land for its beauty not potential capital gains.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:57 PM

139 posts, read 420,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
The average hi/lo temps for Helena in July are 83/52.

For last July it was more like 95/60. August was 81/51 (normal). July was the only hot month last summer. Most people from outside Montana would find only one month of heat to be wonderful.
We had triple-digit heat for two months straight, last summer, July and August. It didn't just affect Helena, either, I had to work in Great Falls for the month of August and travelled back and forth (through the smoke of the many fires that month) and the temps were pretty much the same for the whole area...I saw a temp of 125 in Great Falls that month.

But, on the flip-side of that, I am now going to school in Havre and we saw 30 below zero here with windchills pushing 60 below. My cousin told me that it got pretty cold in Helena during that Arctic snap, but I don't recall how cold it got.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:28 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,381,069 times
The last year or two were bad for fires. Not really the norm. But it really kicked up the last couple years and wrecked havoc all over Western Montana and North Western Wyoming.

My cousin is a flame jumper and has been for 20 years. Last year just about got him to quit. He said that he's getting too old for that stuff. They even sent him down to California twice and he worked out of there for a couple months. But the fires got bad in Montana and he got called back.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 04-06-2008, 03:08 PM

The summer smoke we have been getting lately really sucks. I'm hoping all this snow this winter will prevent some of those fires; I am also hopeful it will give strength to the evergreens so they can fight off those beetles that have been causing so much trouble in this area.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:04 PM

139 posts, read 420,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
The summer smoke we have been getting lately really sucks. I'm hoping all this snow this winter will prevent some of those fires; I am also hopeful it will give strength to the evergreens so they can fight off those beetles that have been causing so much trouble in this area.
Yeah, Eastern Montana is gonna get walluped with the fires, this summer, I'm afraid. We've only got 18% snow pack in the Bears Paw and there have already been a couple of fires down by Gerldine. I suppose I might be spending my weekends in the Bitterroot this summer, to get away from the smoke.
Good luck to you 'Rooters and the fires...I'm serious about coming there to get a reprieve if it gets too bad up here....so don't none of you arsonist hooligans go starting any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana