U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 06:23 AM

65 posts, read 96,521 times

Advertisements

Ok I am very torn on Missoula or Bozeman. I would love to hear some opinions from locals. Originally I was looking into moving to Washington state. Due to my responses on that post I have decided on Montana. So I started applying around the state and wound up with two Job offers. One in Missoula and one in Bozeman. The Bozeman job has a higher locality pay because its a more expensive city. (Previous forum post I found on this topic were from 2013 or older too old to judge). Oddly enough I am not much of a skier I just love having the snow around and playing with my dog in it at dog parks and whatnot. Spent a lot of time in the Northern midwest and got spoiled by it. I just cant ever move back to Humidity.

So I am moving from Salt Lake City UT. (So Missoula inversions will not bother me I am use to it) I LOVE long cold snowy winters. I also LOVE the outdoors. I am always hiking with my dog. Going to off-leash dog parks ect ect. It will be just me and my dog moving. So onto my questions.

1) Which city gets longer winters and gets more snow now a days? (In town. Not resort wise)
2) which has cooler summers? By how much?
3) Which is more dog friendly?
4) Which city would be better for a 36yo single male?

Honestly winter is my favorite season and I LOVE snow. So that will be one of the biggest deciding factors here. I also love my mountain views.

PS> I will be renting to start out.

I would love advice from some locals. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by cwwjr1681; 12-30-2017 at 06:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 09:53 AM

4,739 posts, read 4,019,318 times
Since you're not a skier & are ok with gray days in winter, definitely take Missoula.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Since you're not a skier & are ok with gray days in winter, definitely take Missoula.
Reasoning? Just curious... Basically if the snowfall is the same but Missoula is more dog friendly? Thats obviously a slide for Missoula, but if Bozeman gets a TON of more snow? Thats a slide for Bozeman. I like snow being on the ground all winter.

Opinions like are what I need to hear

Last edited by cwwjr1681; 12-30-2017 at 11:35 AM..

Old 12-30-2017, 11:16 AM

7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times
I'd take Bozeman. Closer to Yellowstone National Park.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:36 PM

19,505 posts, read 17,748,691 times
I am researching several areas in Montana and Bozeman has twice as much snow on average as Missoula according to Wikipedia. I have also noticed that Bozeman has a bunch of dog parks. I would pick Bozeman over Missoula if you can afford it.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I am researching several areas in Montana and Bozeman has twice as much snow on average as Missoula according to Wikipedia. I have also noticed that Bozeman has a bunch of dog parks. I would pick Bozeman over Missoula if you can afford it.
Yeah I never trust that information when it comes to rain or snow results. I have lived all over the nation and in my opinion those stats more tell you what's possible not what actually happens. Especially when snowfall is concerned because there are a lot of factors.

For example it may snow more often and Bozeman but the snow May melt 3 hours from the drop like it does here in Salt Lake City. Where in Missoula due to the fact that they have so many grey overcast winter days it may stick around longer and accumulate more. This Statistics may just be wrong also. For example statistic wise Appleton Wisconsin gets 43 inches of snow a year. But when I lived there they got 2x to 3x that. It doesn't seem the statistics factored in lake effect snow

I am hoping someone that has lived in both cities will respond and share their opinion on the things mentioned in the OP.

Last edited by cwwjr1681; 12-30-2017 at 07:44 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 08:54 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,019,318 times
I do not live in either town, but I spend many days in each every year.

Missoula has at least 20,000 more people than Bozeman (plus Belgrade) does. That means more potential partners for a 36 yr old single.

It's not far to Glacier Park or Flathead Lake (or Spokane if you need city stuff).

Montana is dog friendly.
I'm not sure which town is actually more dog friendly. Missoula does have a dog park along the river.

Snow & where it hits varies greatly from year to year. Missoula has a longer growing season, which would make me guess fewer snow on ground days.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:56 PM

148 posts, read 123,113 times
Bozeman absolutely clobbers Missoula when it comes to snowfall. Bozeman averages about twice the snow of Missoula, as someone mentioned previously. Bozeman is the snowiest large town in the state.

I've lived in Bozeman before. It holds snowcover through the winter, typically. Sometimes it's just a crusty 3 or 4 inches, but that counts. Missoula does not normally hold snowcover through the winter.

Bozeman also has way better skiing.

One last thing -- the Gallatin Valley has pretty distinct microclimates. As you move south and east, you get more snow -- the areas at the far southeastern end of the valley average about 110-120" per year. Meanwhile, Manhattan and Three Forks average maybe 30". Within the Bzn city limits as well, you get more snow the further south and east you go. Gallatin Canyon gets a ton of snow as well (well over 100"/yr).

Here are the statistics on Bozeman and Missoula.

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?mt1044

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?mt5745

Bozeman currently has 17 inches of snow on the ground and MSU has recorded 78 inches so far (!!). However, this winter has been snowier than average.

Last edited by brb going fishing; 12-30-2017 at 09:16 PM..

Old 12-31-2017, 12:49 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,046,220 times
Western Regional Climate Center is probably the best source for snowfall info, just read the fine print about missing data and adjust. The average snowdepth info helps understand how you'll experience winter. But again, be aware of missing data and adjust up, a little or a lot depending on the quality of the data. A lot of other sites use this data but don't make disclaimers.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:51 AM

I realize that Bozeman does get snow 2x-3x more often as many of you have said. The question is does the snow stick around on the ground longer in Missoula due to the lack of sun and often overcast? It may snow more often in Bozeman yes. It also may melt faster. I like having snow on the ground 95% of the winter. (this is really important to me). Also having pretty much a guarantee of a white Christmas is pretty important too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or