U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:35 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,569 posts, read 11,494,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
I had a friend who use to stay in Kalispell, Montana but didnt stay there no longer than 3 years. When she first arrived in Kalispell she was walking along the banks and along come this man jumping out his boat and told her to leave. Well she asked why, he told her she was too pale and if she want to stay she must live in Miles City. That was the oddest than she ever heard, and ofcourse she was offended. About the 2nd year I came to visit and was nearly driven off the road by a bunch of man in their late 60's... since it was a pickup truck there was out 6 sitting in the back enjoying the air. Wait it doesnt stop there, a close neighbor of hers who stayed about 2 miles down always came at least 3 times a month crossing their her backyard. Then would tie her dog to the tree in her backyard and off to work the woman went. Whats wrong with that? About the 11th time the lady never came back and got the dog... She's leaving Montana now, it's not a state for her. If you havent visited it first, I will recommand to do so. I like to visit there, but from whats told I dont know if staying is a option.
A friend she made there told her to move to Miles City and perhaps come back to visit Kalispell, it may be the same gentleman who told her to move to Kalispell as well.
Didn't happen....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 05:10 PM

50 posts, read 129,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliP View Post
we now live in minnesota, but we are thinking of moving to montana, I have already looked up small towns on the internet, we are looking to move near a small town with a pop of 1000 or less. What we'd really like is to find a moutain home, or somewhere close Does anyone have any ideas for me? Like a 45 minute to an hour to get to town. Yes we are looking for no neighbors We would like to have a place where we can grow a garden, flowers gardens etc. We do have animals that would be coming with us, 2 dogs, 4 cats, yes they are all recent on vacines!!!

I myself am ready to sell all my stuff except for the personal stuff and move tomorrow!!! But my other half wants to take a little more time If anybody has any ideas for us please let me know. It's just time for a real big change, and I'm ready for that!!!

ChiliP
We have lived in Montana for 5 years and moved from northern Wisconsin. You sound like us a few years ago. First of all, do visit Montana in all seasons. Summer is not a good indicator of what life is like in Montana the rest of the year. Montana does have winter like Minnesota, in some areas. Generally, winters are milder here than in Minnesota. Again, generally. Most people who have lived here complain about the hard winters, but for us who have lived in the Midwest, winters are mild here. If you plan on living far from town, make sure you have at least one 4 wheel drive vehicle. A plow truck is also handy if you live out a ways. Montana is not as rich with jobs like Minnesota, so locate near work if you still need to work, or look at working online. If you could tell me where you are in Minnesota, I could help you make some other parallels. From our perspective, we love Montana because there is a lot less humidity and a lot fewer mosquitos, unless you live right on the water.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:23 PM

139 posts, read 314,640 times
Beware when using the Census Bureau for population numbers.
For example, Hamilton Montana is said to have a population of 3,705, but that number is far from correct, even in 2000 when the last census took place. I've found that if you get the zip code and use it in your population search, you'll come up with a more accurate number. Hamilton is 59840 and the population of 59840 is 15,815. Which, I think is still pretty low. You also have to take into concideration that the population in Western Montana is exploding, so all of these numbers may be low.

How firm is that 1000 population figure? You'd be hard pressed to find a community in the mountains with that low of a population. Someone here mentioned Darby: Population of 2875....and growing.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:46 AM

17,638 posts, read 22,090,280 times
We have a troll. These things did'nt happen. Good discusion, but didn't happen. Don't feed the troll.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:21 AM

4 posts, read 6,058 times
Default Snowed In!! :] :]

Hey everyone thanx for all the info, it really helps. We just got over 2 feet of snow here this weekend and we had it all just about gone too!
What do we do for a living? My other half is a psychologist, and I also work part time for a psychologist, and at the Humane Society 5 days a week as well. So yes we do have to work for a living. Still haven't won the lottery, so we are still working
To me montana sounds a lot like MN, minus the moutains, bad weather, bad roads, know all about that. Thats the one thing we like about MT we don't have here, the rest of it sounds about the same.
So we would like to live by the water, trees around us, with moutains in the background. We don't want to live in the open, we like the tree's helps block the wind. Have a great day everyone.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,058 times
We live in Grands Rapids, thats about an hour and a half from Duluth. So if thats helps.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:16 PM

49 posts, read 72,464 times
Default Red Lodge under 2000 full time residents

Red Lodge is the place! Good luck.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:21 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,569 posts, read 11,494,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countess1166 View Post
Red Lodge is the place! Good luck.
Which real estate agency do you work for?

Old 11-02-2008, 07:43 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,417,858 times
I thought maybe in honor of Halloween all these old threads were coming back to life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana