U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 7,900 times

Advertisements

we now live in minnesota, but we are thinking of moving to montana, I have already looked up small towns on the internet, we are looking to move near a small town with a pop of 1000 or less. What we'd really like is to find a moutain home, or somewhere close Does anyone have any ideas for me? Like a 45 minute to an hour to get to town. Yes we are looking for no neighbors We would like to have a place where we can grow a garden, flowers gardens etc. We do have animals that would be coming with us, 2 dogs, 4 cats, yes they are all recent on vacines!!!

I myself am ready to sell all my stuff except for the personal stuff and move tomorrow!!! But my other half wants to take a little more time If anybody has any ideas for us please let me know. It's just time for a real big change, and I'm ready for that!!!

ChiliP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 09:52 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,163,488 times
You'll want to visit a few times during several different seasons before moving here for good. Many people have an idyllic view of Montana, move here, and leave within a few years because the weather is too gray, the snow is too dirt-colored in the winters, the roads are bad, etc, etc, etc. I wouldn't suggest using population as a guide to small towns but instead to visit several towns and then decide if you really like living in a small place.....

Old 03-23-2008, 10:22 AM

4 posts, read 7,900 times
Igmagone, thanx for the info, but I do know we want to live by a small town. We are both getting peopled out. I know all about the snow and the crappy roads, we live in minnesota. But are the winters there as long as they are here in MN? And how cold does it get? I understand the cost of living is a little different than here. But we don't want to move to MT to get rich or change anything, just a big change for us. We do plan on making a few trips there and checking it out. I have an Uncle that moved there from here, and he loves it, and he's not moving back here!! Do you live in MT? Have any suggestions for the small towns?? What about the growing season there, how many months do you have? We only have about 3, we don't usually plant until the first of June, that way theres no chance of frost!!
So if you have any ideas or suggestions, I'm more than happy to listen to them. Thanx and have a great day!!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:24 PM

11 posts, read 35,250 times
The further North you go the more overcast it gets i.e. Kalispell; Eastern MT is fairly flat and prone to high wind, blizzard conditions. We looked at towns North of Billings and prices were the most affordable there and still had a mountain-like atmosphere i.e. Roundup, but very small. Heading West on the interstate from Billings about 30 miles will get you into high winds and blizzard conditions again, especially around the Big Timber area all the way to Livingston. The roads become totally impassable at a moments notice-I know first hand from being stranded on 3 different occasions in Big Timber,
Livingston and West Yellowstone. I was told, and believe it, when they say the wind follows the Yellowstone River corridor-like a freight train! Bozeman is a really neat college town at 4200' elevation with milder winters, mostly, than the surrounding areas.
Land and home prices West of Bozeman decrease the further you go towards Butte.
Try Three Forks, Belgrade, Manhattan. The Stevenville/Hamilton area in the Bitterroot Valley has a nice feel to it but, winter roads are still winter roads. Not sure about gardens at the higher altitudes-not impossible, but difficult. A greenhouse-type structure seems the most favorable because of the great sunny days. Think solar for the house also. We had a passive solar 1980's era house in Wyoming that worked GREAT! Good luck and wish I were going back to the mountains too from Texas!
(Here because my husband is a Texan...but, can't complain about the weather most of the year).

Old 03-24-2008, 08:21 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,163,488 times
ChiliP, it's really hard to make a reasonable suggestion without some more information from you. Many people will start with what they do for a living and what kind of jobs in Montana you'd like to do. I'm assuming that your not financially independent and have to work for a living. The job situation will have a lot to do with where you can move to.

The second place that a lot of people also talk about is how much they have available for housing. Some places are really expensive (places people like to live) and some places are much less expensive (but often not as desirable). Knowning what your housing budget is also helps narrow down the choices.

I say population isn't the best guide because there is far more to a town than how many people live there. I could point to many towns in Montana (under 1000 people) that you wouldn't want to live in and could probably point to lots of towns in Montana larger than 1000 people that you would want to live in. It depends a lot more on what you'd like to see in a place than how many people live there.

Please post some more information and then we can help you better.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:32 AM

4,949 posts, read 7,881,909 times
Have you looked into Darby, Montana? It's about an hour from Missoula in the Bitteroot Valley, very secluded, but with a small downtown, very beautiful and scenic. And the small towns of Hamilton, Victor, and Stevensville (where I live) are not that far away. All of these towns have more than 1000 people, though. There is a PBS documentary called "Class C", that is about girl's basketball, but really showcases life in those REALLY small towns in Montana that you are thinking about as well. I guess you don't need employment, the downside of those small towns is that jobs are few and far between or a long commute away. Here in Western Montana, the winters are not nearly as long or cold as in other parts of the state. We had an extra long winter this year, but they did a good job clearing the roads. However, that may not be the case in Darby and places that are farther from Missoula. Hope this helps a little! Good luck.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:34 AM

3 posts, read 11,223 times
i dont know what your looking for as far as work or what not but i am 27 and me and my husband have moved to mt twice and wy once. my mom lived in forsyth and in miles city and colstrip and my sister lives on sarpy creek road about 45 minutes from the nearest store to far for me. my husband would leave tomorrow if i would but work is tough and making a living there is hard. i really loved colstrip and i loved the school there also. if i could find a good job i would go there or forsyth in a heart beat just because its such a small little town everyone knows everyone. my sisters on the other hand she is in the middle of nowhere but thats all her kids know so its ok for them. not sure if this helped you or not but check out those areas

Old 03-28-2008, 06:00 PM

51 posts, read 212,197 times
sorry to disappoint you, but growing flowers in Montana is limited to a very few varieties. you could sure experiment though!!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:57 PM

580 posts, read 1,523,701 times
I had a friend who use to stay in Kalispell, Montana but didnt stay there no longer than 3 years. When she first arrived in Kalispell she was walking along the banks and along come this man jumping out his boat and told her to leave. Well she asked why, he told her she was too pale and if she want to stay she must live in Miles City. That was the oddest than she ever heard, and ofcourse she was offended. About the 2nd year I came to visit and was nearly driven off the road by a bunch of man in their late 60's... since it was a pickup truck there was out 6 sitting in the back enjoying the air. Wait it doesnt stop there, a close neighbor of hers who stayed about 2 miles down always came at least 3 times a month crossing their her backyard. Then would tie her dog to the tree in her backyard and off to work the woman went. Whats wrong with that? About the 11th time the lady never came back and got the dog... She's leaving Montana now, it's not a state for her. If you havent visited it first, I will recommand to do so. I like to visit there, but from whats told I dont know if staying is a option.
A friend she made there told her to move to Miles City and perhaps come back to visit Kalispell, it may be the same gentleman who told her to move to Kalispell as well.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:14 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,230,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
I had a friend who use to stay in Kalispell, Montana but didnt stay there no longer than 3 years. When she first arrived in Kalispell she was walking along the banks and along come this man jumping out his boat and told her to leave. Well she asked why, he told her she was too pale and if she want to stay she must live in Miles City. That was the oddest than she ever heard, and ofcourse she was offended. About the 2nd year I came to visit and was nearly driven off the road by a bunch of man in their late 60's... since it was a pickup truck there was out 6 sitting in the back enjoying the air. Wait it doesnt stop there, a close neighbor of hers who stayed about 2 miles down always came at least 3 times a month crossing their her backyard. Then would tie her dog to the tree in her backyard and off to work the woman went. Whats wrong with that? About the 11th time the lady never came back and got the dog... She's leaving Montana now, it's not a state for her. If you havent visited it first, I will recommand to do so. I like to visit there, but from whats told I dont know if staying is a option.
A friend she made there told her to move to Miles City and perhaps come back to visit Kalispell, it may be the same gentleman who told her to move to Kalispell as well.
I've ran across bad people in every place I've ever lived but you can't judge an entire region based on a few experiences with individuals. With that said, I lived in the flathead for 18 years and never encountered anything like your post. You might want to question the source.

Edit: I read your previous posts and it seems that you have a "friend" who ran into some crazy locals in a half dozen states...sounds fishy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana