Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:44 PM

16 posts, read 122,059 times

Advertisements

As soon as we finally get going on it I will to create a thread on our project. We ran out of time before the snow hit so we decided to park our fifth wheel in the building for the winter. The plan is to start this spring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 11:21 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,400,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStar View Post
There are companies for steel homes, I would definately try that first before I bought a shed. They are built to last, and to withstand harsh conditions.

Here is one. They are in Arkansas but I'm sure you could find others.
Kodiak Steel Homes | Metal Houses, Prefabricated Homes, Pre Engineered | Home Page
You could buy the package and do it yourself, if you're so inclined. Or I guess you could contract out to have the work done.

You definately win the award for most random thread title ever!
this is awesome!!! And look very well built and the prices are reasonable.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:08 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
The package prices are pretty good and the options are nice -- Kodiak Steel Homes | Models and Pricing

But that doesn't include delivery or construction. When I looked at this a bit ago... construction costs were too high to make them a realistic option; total price wound up about the same as for a stickbuilt house, if you can't do most or all the work yourself. Which I think is why we were looking at metal sheds in the first place; construction costs are WAY lower.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,496 times
Default Lsh

I am planning to build a steel framed home in northern La. They have a few day there. Most of the business' come out of Arkansas. When I get down there, I am using Frego Steel Framed Homes, Also Mid-America Steel builds homes and they will send you a pamphlet. Have you started yet and if so, what have you learned?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 AM

173 posts, read 380,426 times
This may have already been covered in this thread, but up here in Alaska I have seen people convert Conex shipping containers into pretty decent living quarters with windows, heating and insulation. I don't think they had any plumbing though.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
I was told by someone in the Cascade County planning dept. that "you can live in a railroad car if you wish (and yes we do have people living in railroad cars)". Not much different from a shipping container, and likely more aging-resistant than a trailer!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,460 times
When I was younger and living in Tacoma, one of my neighbors was an old timer who lived in an old RR box car most of his life. ~☻~

Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
I poured a slab and had electric put in. I also framed in an office/tack room, a storage room for my wifes seasonal stuff, a bay for the boat and horse trailer and a small feed room. The barn is about 50x55 if I recall and the cost was $50,000 for just the shell. I probably have another $10,000 into it with the other stuff I did to it.

I used Cleary out of Great Fall, I would recomend using another crew, they were not real honest. Cleary has several teams in the state that build for them.

Heres my barn...
Attachment 16987

Thats a really nice place. I have seen several of these in Texas.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:32 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Back in WWII the military built a lot of Quonset Hut metal homes. They are still popular many places. One of the cheapest type homes to build. One reason they make sense, is they stand up to high winds, and harsh weather better than a wood home.

Here is a typical example of what you can do for a cheap Quonset Hut Home.

It's a steel: Eco-friendly Quonset hut upstate brings the outside in - NY Daily News

Look at this search list to find out a lot about these metal homes quickly.

quonset hut house kit - Google Search

Old 05-18-2013, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,001 times
Your house is beautiful. I wished you had posted more picture of the framing work.
What's the size of the building?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana