U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 06:08 PM

7,663 posts, read 8,950,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
My friend makes $9/hr as a para educator in a MT school district. In California you can make $13 to start flipping burgers at In-n-Out.
Not surprised. Wages across the board in education as a dismal in Montana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 01:18 PM

990 posts, read 1,672,156 times
I think you may be on the right track, but just remember if you're going to be leaving the family support system that you have in OC you may regret that. Especially if you're planning on having more kids.

Some places I might suggest you add to your list are northern Arizona, even places like Prescott (VA Hospital with job opportunities for veterans). That would give you the outdoor recreation you're looking for, but with close proximity to family in CA.

Don't get me wrong, I live part time in Missoula and I've grown to like the town. It's friendly and I know where everything is. It's also surrounded by natural beauty in every direction. There are some things to factor in, however.

Jobs
Commute
Winter... it can get brutal
Summer... summers are great, but it seems that every other year gets dry and the air quality plummets due to the forest fire activity.

But it does have a lot to offer. The US Forest Service has a huge footprint in Missoula, so there could be some opportunities there for a veteran hire. U of Montana is also an excellent school.

Bozeman? I'm not personally keen on it. It's getting pricey, I think the people aren't as friendly, and it's far away from everything but Yellowstone. At least in Missoula you're not too far from North Idaho, Flathead, etc.

Still, my recommendation would be something closer to home. Northern AZ has winters that don't get nasty cold, and the summers are mild.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:52 AM

726 posts, read 921,564 times
OP seems to have gone silent on this post.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:55 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,225,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
OP seems to have gone silent on this post.
Probably got caught in snow storm since Montana is having record amounts of snow fall.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:19 PM

662 posts, read 936,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
What places in Montana have the least amount of sun?
Can't answer that, but Billings probably has the most.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:07 PM

4,914 posts, read 7,842,071 times
Lived in Montana for a couple of years, worked in Missoula.

It's an expensive place to live - a hard life if you don't make a good income.

Pretty surroundings though, and I never felt safer anywhere else I have ever lived.

If I ever had it in my mind to move back to Montana, I'd go to Helena. More jobs and housing options for those that aren't affluent or well-to-do.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:07 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
The least sunny days in MT are in Flathead County. More cloudy days than sunny and a low UV index. In general NW MT is low. Yeah Billings is among the sunniest.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:36 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,225,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
The least sunny days in MT are in Flathead County. More cloudy days than sunny and a low UV index. In general NW MT is low. Yeah Billings is among the sunniest.

Well then I will make sure to steer clear of Billings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or