U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 08:21 AM

4,931 posts, read 7,554,198 times

Advertisements

Sounds great!

As you point out, itís not perfect or necessarily easy for everyone but if you are in a place that you not only enjoy but feel spiritually planted to and are able to notice the magic of it then you are a lucky man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 8,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
As some of you know , I have lived full time for almost 40 yrs (retired for the last 25), on 14 wooded acres, with a location that provides: privacy, peace &quiet, and lots of wildlife just 14 miles from a town of about 4800.
Example of a typical Spring morning sitting out on my deck................
After having let the dog out at 6:30 a.m.
to do his business, I as usual let him back into the utility room after about 5 minutes, feed him his one cup of dry dog food(he gets his 2nd cup at about 5pm) ...put the gate up to keep him in the utility room where he sleeps and eats.....then we both go back to sleep till about 8 to 9 o'clock.

Then I get up, take my morning green tea out on the deck with an apple/cinnamon muffin, put the dog in the dog run and I go sit in my deck chair, in the sun and in total silence w/no noise of any kind within my hearing......I just observe my surroundings.

After a few minutes I can hear two separate coveys of Valley Quail calling to each other.....they are anywhere from 50 to 100 y rds from me......then about 4 wild turkey hens come running across in front of my deck area, being chased by a very big Tom turkey and three Jake's.
All the while there have been 5 WT Deer Does still with last springs fawns, slowly grazing their way across the 4 to 5 acre open area between my house and the creek.
Down along the creek, I can hear a Pileated Wood Pecker trying to find just the right tree for his/her nesting site.
While all this is going on, three different small flocks of loudly honking Canada Geese have left their nightime roosting area on a backwater area of the creek and fly right over my place about 25 feet higher than the roof on their way to their daytime feeding area.on some of the close by farm/ranch fields. . And within about three weeks I will have one particular Cow Elk again decide to drop her calf on my place down in a thick brushy area by the creek.

Soon after (a day or two) a bald eagle pair who nest close by, will come around and clean up the after-birth from the cow elk giving birth.
It's been two years since I 've seen a Black Bear or Moose on my place, and 5 years since I 've seen a Wolf..............you never know when I 'll be lucky and have one of those infrequent vistors stop by for a visit.
In the almost 40 years, I ve had a River Otter Come down along the fence line twice on his way to the creek, and only once have I ever had a Badger here and that was right in the middle of the driveway.
Used to have frequent visits of Coyotes, about 10 years ago, the introduction of the Grey Wolves drove most of the coyotes out of this area.
So, I ask my self.............Why would I want to live anywhere else? ...Life is Good.........CARPE DIEM!!

you are living my dream. I have 2 months and im out of this nightmare and in to MT to hopefully do the same.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:59 PM

155 posts, read 114,405 times
Quote:
Also the minimum wage is 10.30/hr, and it (in general), is not a cheap place to live. A lot of the minimum wage jobs are seasonal .
The county is in far, far western Montana. Ravalli by name.
The local hospital seems to always have a shortage of people with some sort of medical background.
Look up the Bitterroot Valley, MT on google for area info.
Yup, I saw so many move to Montana with huge dreams only to have them crushed by the cost of living. I'f i could have bought something the 1st time i was out there in 89 i MIGHT have afforded to stay but had to leave for work as jobs paid squat and didn't come back till 04. Then it was starting to get out of hand. I left in late 2016 as i never saw a way for myself to retire and my kids weren't staying due to the cost of living so why should i. I honestly now work half what i did in Montana and have more in my pockets.

I also don't miss the summer smoke season. Had a 10 acre fire near me yesterday and DNRC rolled out 2 dozers and a wetlands rig along with 2 tankers and 4 brush trucks. It was out in an hour in 10-15 MPH winds. Always hated how lackluster the feds in Montana where about fire. Poor Amish in Eureka would still be in their homes if the feds didn't drag their feet last summer. Also makes me sick what the Grey wolves have done to the Elk and Deer population.

A few things i do miss are the long summer evenings and gentle breezes, A good burger at Naps in Hamilton and huckleberry hunting in the Swan Range. Never got to enjoy much of that because of working 6-7 days a week but the times i was able to enjoy it was great. Honestly i'll probably enjoy Montana more as a tourist than i did living there.

Glad you got your land in 1976. I'm sure it has went up 20 fold in value. Just did a quick peek in the MLS and just under 16 acres of hay ground is 200K https://www.flexmls.com/share/1SaLp/...amiltonMT59840 I can pick up 250 acres here mostly wooded with multiple ponds and wildlife galore..........

Old 08-08-2018, 04:59 PM

3,645 posts, read 1,839,525 times
Default Darby to Missoula

How often do you go into Missoula? Do you get your medical care in Hamilton or Missoula?

A few nice houses with acres in Darby, but I fear it may be a long drive into Missoula....

Also, is there crime/drug issues in Hamilton?

Old 08-08-2018, 07:11 PM

1,062 posts, read 635,143 times
Are you anywhere near Salisbury NC?

Old 08-10-2018, 06:10 PM

1,115 posts, read 984,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Are you anywhere near Salisbury NC?
On a global scale, maybe!

Old 08-14-2018, 06:50 PM

662 posts, read 937,021 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, in this valley in far western Montana, jobs are not often advertised..........usually if a job opening becomes available, a relative, friend or neig hbor knows someone who is looking and has the particular skill set required,......the job opening is filled almost immediately.
BEAR IN mind, the largest town in this county is about 4800 people......and the population density of the county is about 15 people per sq mile. ..And. yes, most people that drive to their job have some form of 4x4 vehicle,or at least a FWD Vehicle with studded snow tires.....winters here can be pretty rough...
Also the minimum wage is 10.30/hr, and it (in general), is not a cheap place to live. A lot of the minimum wage jobs are seasonal .
The county is in far, far western Montana. Ravalli by name.
The local hospital seems to always have a shortage of people with some sort of medical background.
Look up the Bitterroot Valley, MT on google for area info.
You folks who live in the country/wilderness are certainly fortunate to live where you do. I've lived in Montana for over 60 years, and know the types of environments that you enjoy. Your descriptions are typical of what I've seen and experiences. I'm a "city boy" , in Montana terms, living in Billings, and previously in Helena and Missoula. Even these towns are great places to live, for people with my values. I've also lived for periods of my time in California and the Midwest. Living here is a privilege.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:40 AM

1,485 posts, read 658,641 times
Sounds like a good life indeed (but what do you do on winter days? No sitting out on the deck).

Curious about one species of deer displacing another... why might that be?

Old 08-15-2018, 08:14 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,765,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Sounds like a good life indeed (but what do you do on winter days? No sitting out on the deck).

Why not sit on you deck in winter? It can be a great experience.

Deer populations fluctuate, so when populations of one species is low, the other will be high usually, and they go where there is feed and cover.

Normal part of life in the wild.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,293 posts, read 3,327,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post

Winter days:.......many winter days are decent weather for doing things outside from say after 10 am to 5pm......approx 60 to 80 % are full sunshine to partial sun.
Many days I'll hop in the car and meet a buddy for lunch. then stop by the gun range and do some target shooting (either rifle, pistol, or shotgun).
Other days I may sit on the deck with my rifle or shotgun and pick off maybe a crow, or magpie, or some other pest animal or bird, or if I 'm lucky maybe a coyote.

And don't forget the days when you meet some other "old foggies" for coffee and breakfast and don't leave the restaurant till 11A.M.............and then ok ther days you meet another group at 2:30 p.m. for pie and coffee and B.S. till 4p.m...........

In this area the real lousy winter usually occurs late Dec through Feb, and then it generally will last for 1 to 3 days.........these last two winters I never had more than 6 to 7 inches of snow accumulated, and that was maybe 3 or 4 times. Most of the time it's approx 1 to 3 inches. I never had to plow the 600 foot driveway....not even once.

If it's a real lousy day, I 'll spend some time reloading some ammo, or tieing some flies, or reading, get on the internet, catch up on some house chores.......
I'm fortunate to have a crude target set-up (25 yrds and 100 yards), on my place so I can checkout various handles I'm always developing for the rifle and or pistol...........I can "eat-up" 3 to 4 hours doing that real easy at my range set.
Never really have a problem finding things to do at any time of the year.........and I been widowed now over 13 ys.

Can't really say why the WT replaced the Mule Deer (in this particular valley area ....an area 'bout 100 miles by 30 miles, except a combination of things:.......more people building and living at this elevation (3200 to 4000 feet).....Mule deer have always been associated with higher country and less populated areas in the state.........During hunting season you get above 5000 to 6000 feet and you'll see just Mulies.

.......NOTE:...I just noticed MtSilverTip joined in here.......he's the expert in all things associated with the outdoors and Montana..........and I mean that as a sincere compliment. I'm just a neophyte when it relates to those areas.
I've heard tell by some "old foggies" over in that Helena country, he keeps in shape by going way back in the boonies to his wilderness cabin and wrestling with a bear everytime he gets a chance.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 08-15-2018 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or