U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 09:31 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,658,704 times

Advertisements

2nd pic says it all, that was the scene for 3-4 weeks last Summer. Brutal on the lungs ... and the psyche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 02:58 PM

726 posts, read 921,889 times
If those big fires happen again this summer, I am done and moving away next spring.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:13 PM

155 posts, read 114,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
If those big fires happen again this summer, I am done and moving away next spring.

My lungs are better getting the heck out and i've never smoked in my life! The last fire season i went through out there i hacked up crap out of my lungs for 3 weeks after the air cleared up. I feel for the animals.....

Old 06-02-2018, 12:52 PM

This is a bad sign ...

https://www.predictiveservices.nifc....al_outlook.pdf

Old 06-02-2018, 09:39 PM
BMI

7,243 posts, read 4,444,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
All of what Redraven says is true and i'll add some. I grew up on a Dairy Farm in Illinois and have bounced all over the country after we sold the herd. I spent from 2004 - 2016 in the Flathead and i wouldn't go back. The people moving in have mostly changed it for the worse. Heroin and Meth are rampant and theft is getting crazy. Coming from the Midwest you'll have sticker shock on housing and rental prices. Just a typical in town home will run you 200K plus in C-Falls 250K plus in Kalispell and 300K plus in Wierdfish. On the contrary where i relocated in far Northern Wisconsin i can buy 2-3 comparable homes for less and have mailbox money(rental income) every month or i can spend about the same and be on a beautiful lake and fish out my backdoor.

You'll also pay through the nose for crappy rentals. Their is a dumpy old hotel in Kalispell where they are renting double rooms for $700 a month and a decent single family home is going to run you $1,200 - $1,400 a month plus utilities. you car insurance will take a big jump their as well. In Montana i was insuring a 2011 F250 on a $1,000,000 business policy and it was $2,600 a year. Here in Wisconsin the same policy is $900 a year. My 19 year old daughter was paying $1,600 a year to be on OUR personal policy and has her own here for $960 a year. The state is WAAAY to lax on uninsured motorists and drunks because it provides a steady revenue stream to the state AKA fines.

Currently their are 13 listings in the Columbia falls zip code under $300,000. 7 of them are under contract and the cheapest is $239,000. https://www.flexmls.com/share/1VOQL/Selected Most of the ones under contract have been listed for less than a month, Some a few days. It's a big time sellers market. Poke around and TRY to find affordable housing anywhere in Flathead County.

Comparing to what i bought here in Wisconsin this is whats available for a 4 bed, 3 bath on 5 acres, 2,600 Sq Ft with a garage in ALL of Flathead County. Their are 8 listings, 5 of them are under contract!!! https://www.flexmls.com/share/1VOb5/Selected I also have a 30x40 pole barn and my home is 14 years old. I purchased here for $195,000 fully furnished! Add the pole barn and i couldn't touch this place in the Flathead for under a half million!!! WHY are prices so ridiculous their? Hell i make more money here and work a hell of a lot less!!!

I'm not sure what everyone's love affair is with the west. Yeah it's beautiful but when your working 7 days a week to survive what's the point? I recreate more now on a 10 day vacation out their than i ever did when i lived their full time. Hope this gives you some food for thought......
Yeah but you donít have majestic 10,000 ft mountains at your doorstep ...gotta pay for that

Old 06-02-2018, 11:41 PM

7,662 posts, read 8,952,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Yeah but you donít have majestic 10,000 ft mountains at your doorstep ...gotta pay for that
I've heard people say in Montana "the scenery is your salary." There is a lot of truth to that.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:02 PM

155 posts, read 114,197 times
Talked to a semi-retired broker friend out there today. The realty hot-sheet of new listings comes out daily. Anywhere from 15-25 properties and he says depending on the day nearly half are under contract by noon and 1/2 of those are cash closed in less than 30 days. These properties NEVER hit the MLS!! Insane!!! SOOOO glad i'm gone.......

Old 07-05-2018, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,493 times
Good luck! We left the Flathead after 12 years and have not looked back. Its the old west with many similarities to TX thinking. Gun slinging chest thumping natives, natives vs non-natives, overpriced rents and homes, seasons with ominous nick names, and so on and so forth. Communities that are anything but communities for anyone that actually know what a community is.

Think of Whitefish as small company that is reaching mid-size, say less than 5,000 people. Your first few years at the firm can be great. New office, nice people, good leadership. But after a bit of time you get sick of your coworkers because some are clearly yes people and puppets (the uneducated), others are favored (the natives), and leadership is uninterested in changing if it threatens there hold on power (the old boys club). So after some time if your paying attention you will find that your actually be held down, fed propaganda, and being asked to work harder to earn less then the next person. So you look to change things. it wont take you long to realize that everyone knows but nobody is interested. If you push to hard you will find doors slammed in your face. People that had once been nice will quickly disregard you. This will all take years to play out but it will come. When it does you will have to choose. Do you stay or do you go?

Columbia Falls, it has recently found its mojo and is now on the move. Instead of the locals standing on Hwy 2 waving the tourist through as quickly as possible to Kalispell or Whitefish. They have decided it may be a good thing to snag a portion of the billions of tourist Dollars being waved out of town. Usher in Mick Ruis. Who was sly enough to buy up a chunk of town and turn things around. Now all the puppets are happily onboard following his drum beat. Home values are going up, eateries springing up, the town is starting to humm. All good right? For now it seems. Maybe you wont notice the drugs and meth labs that are out in the bush not as far away as one might think.

We have very fond memories of the Flathead. It you enjoy the outdoors you will too. But at some point the outdoors may not be enough and what will you do then? Flights to see your family back in your original homes will be outrageous. Flights are always booked full do to the tourists who are happy to pay for a once in a lifetime trip. Friends are had earned and easily lost. Your native friends are mostly just looking to benefit themselves. Its a hard life out West. Its every person for themselves since most are at or near the poverty line. They hunt and trap because most have to if they want meat on the table. Oh but you have a great job? Sure, we did too. But its meaningless there because you will be regarded as a visitor. You will be paying the tourist rates. After a few years you will see it clearly. With any luck it will be before you get some girl pregnant or get pregnant by some native yourself. They just love babies out that way.

So i would encourage you to read some of the history of Montana. Learn about the Indians and industrial tycoons that helped shape it into what it is today. Those views are still deeply rooted in its young history. Do what has always been done there. Take it for everything its worth and when your done move on. That's what the natives that have stuck it out wont tell you.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:08 PM

726 posts, read 921,889 times
I can't disagree with Grumpus and Shenanigans after being here four years, but I predict after 10 more years at the present growth rate, the Flathead Valley will blossom into a desirable and welcoming place for the middle-class families who desire to put roots into a more natural Mayberry setting. Until then it will be tough going unless you're strong and independent and deeply into nature and outdoor activities and, like the natives, mostly prefer to keep to yourself.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:58 PM

Today we can't see the mountains and the air quality has moved to 'Unhealthy', with near-100 degree temps forecasted for Thurs/Fri, followed by a cold front (i.e. WIND) moving in this weekend ... hoping for the best, but at worst, Summer's possibly over for 2018.

Looking out the office window, there have been 2 CL-215 'Scoopers' staged at the airport the past couple days. That's not what I call 'comforting' ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or