Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 12:20 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times

Advertisements

Something I've wondered about for quite awhile.

When she wants to, my wife, who is 73, loves wearing either her black Felt (winter) or her Wrangler or Resistol straw (summer). I'm 72, spent a number of years with PRCA, as a "header" Team Roper. Either our black Felts or our straws are hanging on a hat rack by our apartment front door always. We currently live in northern Colorado (Eastern Slope). I wear mine to local Walmart and grocery store.

When I was involved with pro-rodeo, I seen many, many ladies wearing cowboy hats at rodeos I went to. Of course, that was back in the late 80's into the 90's. My "heeler" and I had a nightclub sponsor us and, back then, many ladies wore cowboy hats in there.

Wife and I have noticed, in both attending rodeos and watching rodeos on the Cowboy Channel, very few lady fans today wear cowboy hats at rodeos. And, some that do, especially the young gals, love wearing the modern-day wide-brim hats.

As for myself, I love seeing my wife in either a baseball cap or cowboy hat.

So, just what is the State of Montana like when it come to "women and cowboy hats"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 02:11 PM

How about it, you folks in Montana..........do ladies up there wear cowboy hats? Doesn't make any difference how often, wife and I are just wondering. When I was in Bozeman and Billings, back in the early 90's, I did see some.

Perhaps baseball caps are more popular now? Funny, my wife's "ex-husband" didn't like her wearing a baseball cap at all and I love it. But, I love seeing her in either a baseball cap or cowboy hat.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:15 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Why is "ex husband" in quotes? I've seen plenty of women in cowboy hats in Montana, at rodeos or otherwise.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Why is "ex husband" in quotes? I've seen plenty of women in cowboy hats in Montana, at rodeos or otherwise.
Don't know why I put ex-husband in quote marks. Error on my part. But, then again, I remember, years ago, I met a girl, thru a person ad, that lived in Newport Beach, CA.. I wore my baseball cap one time when going to lunch and she didn't want me to wear it into the restaurant. She said "it will attract to much attention". Guess she didn't like a man wearing a baseball cap, and, truth is, some ladies don't like a man wearing one. Anyway, my relationship with her ended, very soon, after that happened.

When I was in Billings, years ago, for a week, on a Saturday night I stopped into a country-western nightclub for a beer. I did notice a few ladies wearing cowboy hats and some wearing baseball caps. The ladies did look like they were around horses and/or cattle quite a bit. To me, the look was fine.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:00 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Don't know why I put ex-husband in quote marks. Error on my part. But, then again, I remember, years ago, I met a girl, thru a person ad, that lived in Newport Beach, CA.. I wore my baseball cap one time when going to lunch and she didn't want me to wear it into the restaurant. She said "it will attract to much attention". Guess she didn't like a man wearing a baseball cap, and, truth is, some ladies don't like a man wearing one. Anyway, my relationship with her ended, very soon, after that happened.

When I was in Billings, years ago, for a week, on a Saturday night I stopped into a country-western nightclub for a beer. I did notice a few ladies wearing cowboy hats and some wearing baseball caps. The ladies did look like they were around horses and/or cattle quite a bit. To me, the look was fine.
I LOVE a gal in a cowboy hat. Just sayin.

Last edited by jmgg; 03-15-2021 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-15-2021, 01:49 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Mostly see women and girls in gimme caps while working or in town these days, but for rodeos and fairs, the Stetsons come out.

Bought my wife a nice Resistol, but she prefers a gimme cap.

The dudes and dudettes buy cheap straw hats in the summer, kind of like leis in Hawaii, part of the vacation experience in the "old West", but you can pick them out a mile away.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Mostly see women and girls in gimme caps while working or in town these days, but for rodeos and fairs, the Stetsons come out.

Bought my wife a nice Resistol, but she prefers a gimme cap.

The dudes and dudettes buy cheap straw hats in the summer, kind of like leis in Hawaii, part of the vacation experience in the "old West", but you can pick them out a mile away.
As for wife and I, we will take a Resistol, Wrangler or Justin Felt hat anytime over a Stetson. I have a Resistol Bandara Straw and we both have Justin and Wrangler brand black felt hats and Straws. The Justin ones, we bought for Christmas two years ago to wear to rodeos or whatever. They are nice, but not as nearly as nice as our Wrangler brand Felts are.

Heck, I never even knew Justin had a hat, only boots. Our boots are Ariat Lace-Ups and I have a pair of Ariat Lace-Up Hiking Boots.

I can always tell a Montana crease, when I see one.

Old 03-27-2021, 05:18 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Wearing hats ain't the Thing that it used to be. Remember when proper business attire included a hat, and no lady went out in her Sunday best without a bonnet??

Me, when I need portable shade I wear a goofy straw hat with a big wide brim, because it's light and comfy and cost me all of nine bucks, and nothing in a cowboy hat ever fits my dorky head, or my penny-pinching wallet. Either that or a baseball cap or a lumberjack hat. But you'll never see me out of doors with a naked head!!

Old 04-21-2021, 02:16 PM

Well, when we go to the Dodge City Days/Roundup Rodeo this coming August, my wife will be wearing either her Resistol or Wrangler straw hat, as I will also. And, we are both in our early 70's!

If we end up going to the NFR, in Las Vegas in December, which we are planning on doing, we will both be wearing our black felt hats on the jet and in Vegas. We haven't been back to Vegas for the NFR since December of 2005. So, for us it will be quite exciting!

For us, the new generation of "Flat Hats" just don't get it. Younger folks like them, but not for us.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:45 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
My Uncle always wears a big 10 gallon hat.

He was raising Quarter Horses in Montana for a big breeder and got a job boarding Thoroughbreds in Kentucky. He still wears the hat 50 years later.

He got invited to a fox hunt and so he took his big Quarter Horse stud and western saddle. Felt kind of out of place with all those big jumpers and English pancake saddles.
They'd jump fences, he had to go find a gate.

He said the biggest difference between western and eastern hunters though was when they spooked the game they called out, "Tallyho the fox".
He'd say, "There goes the S.O.B"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana