U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:38 PM

1,836 posts, read 4,461,453 times

Advertisements

While searching for an apartment here for my final year here in Minnesota, I ran into a lady from Montana and we got to talking. I explained that I want to move out there next year and we talked about what I was looking for.

She said that Libby sounded like a good match for me. I've not looked into Libby before so I thought I would start by asking you folks what you know about Libby. Population, industry, economy, geography, climate, etc.,

Any information to help get me started is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 05:55 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,165,072 times
Like all parts of Montana, depends on what your looking for. Libby is rural compared to other parts (Flathead Valley, Missoula, Great Falls, Bozeman). It is traditionally a logging and mining town. They used to mine vermeculite (sp), basically a form of absestos in a mine up there. They finally realized that the mine is a big health hazard and now the entire town + mine is a Superfund site and they are trying to clean everything up. Libby has quite a stimga from that.

In general, I've always considered Libby to be a bit behind the rest of Western Montana. They had one the last gas stations in the US that sold lead gas clear up until the federal deadline.

It's pretty up there but not much reason for existance.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the information. I'm definitely looking for rural, so I'll keep checking it out. I'm not scared-off so far!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:48 AM

No other thoughts, advice or suggestions about Libby?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:12 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,921,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
No other thoughts, advice or suggestions about Libby?
take the advice about the hazardous waste seriously, I did a lot of checking on Libby when we were looking for somewhere in Montana to move to. There are alot of problems affecting the real estate market, schools, employment, city services, (however small )that I would hesitate wanting to deal with. Maybe a more populated area first then do some travel in the state in all seasons, just my opinion, as for me I am farrrrrr east

Old 04-01-2008, 10:36 AM

Thank you, seven of nine. I will do that. I wonder, then, why the woman I spoke with recommended Libby. She was older and perfectly kind. She was in Minneapolis looking for an apartment for her grandson. The whole family was so nice. Interesting.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Thank you, seven of nine. I will do that. I wonder, then, why the woman I spoke with recommended Libby. She was older and perfectly kind. She was in Minneapolis looking for an apartment for her grandson. The whole family was so nice. Interesting.
Well it is a beautiful area, maybe some of the information has only been available in the past few years and not being a native I brought it to the forefront when I was doing research. Real estate prices are climbing there as in most of western Mt. I am sure some developer will come along and fix the problem in the meantime i would hesitate but do lots of research there. We actually recieved the local paper for a year which is how the initial information was recieved about the mine and the cleanup. I think there is an ongoing lawsuite between the owners of the mine and the workers and the state also. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Ask about other areas, its is a BIG state, good luck!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:33 PM

24 posts, read 73,572 times
Default 2 cents

I'm sure I'll take heat for this, but I think that woman might have been in denial. You couldn't pay me all the money in the world to move my family and myself there.
P.O.V. - Libby, Montana | PBS

Old 04-01-2008, 12:38 PM

Deb, the truth is just that, thanks for following up the op. I felt that my initial information was correct, this just really is eye opening.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:54 PM

Thank you VERY much for the link! I'm at work and can't look at it now, but I will certainly look at it tonight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana