Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 11:00 AM

10,227 posts, read 13,733,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
Well stated but most don't take the advice. All they see is mountains.....
Sadly that is often the case. When I was living in the Missoula area I remember doing the same thing. I lasted less than a year. There was absolutely nothing enjoyable about not making ends meet. That's not living, that's existing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 11:09 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,369,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
If Minnesota is too liberal you might like Montana. The areas around Kalispell and Missoula have lots of the extreme hiding from the government type conservatives. Also quite a few people who you'll swear never experienced the 20th century let alone the 21st. That being said, there are some extreme liberals in the area, especially in the city limits of Missoula. Wages anywhere in the state are often lower than The national average and Bozeman, Kalispell, and Missoula are horrendously expensive to live in. I tell anyone considering a move to Montana that you can't eat scenery.
That's why they didn't find Ted K. for years. I had a few recluses living near me who were wanted in other states. It was a "surprise" NOT to the community.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:36 AM

6,741 posts, read 8,502,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwrungrl View Post
That’s what drew us to Montana. Minnesota is becoming a little too left field for us. Sort of like California and very liberal. Not saying I am completely anti-liberal, but it can be extreme. Plus we are seriously turning into Chicago here which is so so sad because of the high amount of welfare our state hands out. Again, I do believe in helping people get on their feet, but people are starting to flock here because our welfare is so good- people that are dangerous and are bringing a lot of drugs and shootings to an area that you used to rarely hear of. Our taxes in Minnesota are like the 8th highest in the US- in anywhere else except Minneapolis/St. Paul, the wages don’t match the crazy taxes. I know Montana wages look to be less too like here, but I have been told you guys don’t have state taxes. Just a lot of reasons why we want to leave. Our state may be pretty up by Lake Suoerior, but so much has changed about it and it’s sad to see. Thank you for your input and I greatly appreciate the heads up and info too!
There are liberals here too, especially in Berkeley North, (Missoula). Most folks here are pretty down to earth, independent, libertarian types that have more to think about than worrying about what someone else is doing, as long as someone isn't trying to force their views on them.

There are good jobs that pay the same as anywhere else, and if you have a good job lined up you're moving into, you're pretty well set. Real estate is expensive, but I just bought a 5 bed, 2 bath stone house on 1/3 acre on the edge of town for $160k, so it can be done if you shop around and have a realtor looking for you as most places like that go very fast. Getting a little way outside city limits lowers the price a lot. If you look at Helena, East Helena 3 miles away has about 1/2 the property tax, and several good older homes between $80-160k depending on what you want and need.

No, most folks won't get paid like they're in California, most folks don't make 1/2 million dollar plus wages in public service jobs such as picking up trash or diving a bus or teaching like they would in Chicago with golden parachute pensions, but we do OK. There is no sales tax, income tax is about 4%, lots of locally grown food available, especially beef, pork, lamb and goat you can get straight from the rancher.
Lots of hunting and fishing, roughly 1/3 of the state is public ground anyone can use. Lots of folks pick wild berries or gather wild edibles in season too.
An elk in the freezer really helps the food bills.

Schools are some of the best in the country.

The weather can be rough, but you already know winter, so that's no real problem.

All in all, this is a pretty good place to be if you like some freedom in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:42 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,369,264 times
Rent first

Old 09-08-2018, 12:29 PM

8 posts, read 20,205 times
Yea we may rent first. We have talked about that too- to give us some time to get to know an area better. We are from Northern Minnesota and same here- most jobs are a joke what they pay. We both do have good paying jobs for the area in Minnesota. My husband’s we call blood money though as he is a railroader and is gone working 100-120 hours a week. My job is good paying but extreme high stress with projects. Our town is the best school in the area where we currently live but it is becoming like Orange County house wives lol which even though we both make good money, neither of us will ever blend with those type of people. We are much more down to earth people who are not into flaunting. We just like to enjoy outdoors and family time. Our perfect weekend is a weekend Our hunting shack in the fall and fires at night. I am hoping we meet nice friends where we decide to go out there. The people for the most part just seemed more genuine except a few here or there when we were in Missoula, but the other areas everyone was awesome especially in Northern Idaho. We are looking for a slower pace I guess. I’m not sure if any states still fully exist that are more down to earth, not as much into the crazy hussle and bustle and keeping up with the Jones’s, but from what we saw... it seemed like a much better bet than where we currently are.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Yea we may rent first. We have talked about that too- to give us some time to get to know an area better. We are from Northern Minnesota and same here- most jobs are a joke what they pay. We both do have good paying jobs for the area in Minnesota. My husband’s we call blood money though as he is a railroader and is gone working 100-120 hours a week. My job is good paying but extreme high stress with projects. Our town is the best school in the area where we currently live but it is becoming like Orange County house wives lol which even though we both make good money, neither of us will ever blend with those type of people. We are much more down to earth people who are not into flaunting. We just like to enjoy outdoors and family time. Our perfect weekend is a weekend Our hunting shack in the fall and fires at night. I am hoping we meet nice friends where we decide to go out there. The people for the most part just seemed more genuine except a few here or there when we were in Missoula, but the other areas everyone was awesome especially in Northern Idaho. We are looking for a slower pace I guess. I’m not sure if any states still fully exist that are more down to earth, not as much into the crazy hussle and bustle and keeping up with the Jones’s, but from what we saw... it seemed like a much better bet than where we currently are.
Where in Minnesota are you that the people aren't down to earth and friendly? That was part of why I looked at going to Minnesota. Outside of the Cities I always thought the pace of life seemed slow. Just curious.

Old 09-08-2018, 04:38 PM

We are up in Duluth. We live in a smaller town just outside it. The city itself is slowly becoming like Chicago and the cities it feels like. The mall area is nice in terms of shopping, but downtown is downright disgusting now. The lake walk is still nice scenery, but it gets flooded with needles and people passed out on benches. :-/ We love our lakes that are further out of Duluth (up north) and are beautiful but this city is becoming a flock of free handout transplants from the big cities nearby rather than the working class. Super super sad. I’ve been here for over 30 years, and I thought I would never leave because it used to feel so clean and safe, but things are changing. I suppose you can get that many places though.

Old 09-08-2018, 04:55 PM

Duluth will build numerous new apartment complexes and townhomes for section 8 houses, but those same complexes will also have spaces for regular renters that pay for them and the rent is well over $1,200. That kind of stuff blows my mind. We own our home but we have heard of stuff like this from co-workers and friends. They mention how their kids can work two jobs here and barely afford rent yet we advertise for those that need assistance to move here? They don’t help their working class and it’s sad.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
We are up in Duluth. We live in a smaller town just outside it. The city itself is slowly becoming like Chicago and the cities it feels like. The mall area is nice in terms of shopping, but downtown is downright disgusting now. The lake walk is still nice scenery, but it gets flooded with needles and people passed out on benches. :-/ We love our lakes that are further out of Duluth (up north) and are beautiful but this city is becoming a flock of free handout transplants from the big cities nearby rather than the working class. Super super sad. I’ve been here for over 30 years, and I thought I would never leave because it used to feel so clean and safe, but things are changing. I suppose you can get that many places though.
Quote:
Duluth will build numerous new apartment complexes and townhomes for section 8 houses, but those same complexes will also have spaces for regular renters that pay for them and the rent is well over $1,200. That kind of stuff blows my mind. We own our home but we have heard of stuff like this from co-workers and friends. They mention how their kids can work two jobs here and barely afford rent yet we advertise for those that need assistance to move here? They don’t help their working class and it’s sad.
That is sad. Guess I'm glad I didn't end up in Duluth. It was on my short list. That kind of rent or more is common in most of the pretty cities in Montana. Is meth a problem there? That seems to be an issue nationwide. Some places more than others.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:20 PM

Yes meth is here too. :-/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana