U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-03-2008, 09:38 AM

61 posts, read 220,696 times
Default Atv riding areas

We just came back from Kalispell and we stopped in to the Forest Service office to get a map of where to ride after talking to the local atv dealers. They told us that there is limited riding areas around there do to the grizzly bear corridors. (Forest service roads are closing regularly to atv use.) Are there areas around Missoula or Billings that have areas to ride? Any orv trails? We really liked the area of Kalispell. We both loved the available hunting and fishing that is available around there!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 11:07 AM

30 posts, read 96,799 times
Pipestone (close to Butte)

Old 04-03-2008, 12:32 PM

369 posts, read 931,026 times
I kind of wish they had never been invented!

Old 04-03-2008, 04:53 PM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,489 posts, read 11,290,437 times
The forest guys weren't totally honest with you. You can ride all around Hungry Horse res, on most plum creek and stoltz land which is many thousand acres all the way around the back side of Big Mountain. You can take a short trip up to the divide and there's some great riding that'd take you days to get done. Not to mention that you can license them for the street here and ride to the dirt.
I'm not a dealer nor do I have one for sale but enjoy riding and there are lots of places that the wacko forest service and greenies haven't locked up yet. God forbid you should want to use the forest that you pay for as well as everyone else can...
You could even ride them on going to the sun road if you wished.
Ride responsible,pack out what you pack in and stay on the trails and you should be fine...

Old 04-03-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The forest guys weren't totally honest with you. You can ride all around Hungry Horse res, on most plum creek and stoltz land which is many thousand acres all the way around the back side of Big Mountain. You can take a short trip up to the divide and there's some great riding that'd take you days to get done. Not to mention that you can license them for the street here and ride to the dirt.
I'm not a dealer nor do I have one for sale but enjoy riding and there are lots of places that the wacko forest service and greenies haven't locked up yet. God forbid you should want to use the forest that you pay for as well as everyone else can...
You could even ride them on going to the sun road if you wished.
Ride responsible,pack out what you pack in and stay on the trails and you should be fine...
Glad to know there are places to go ride then! I will be asking for guidance then if I am offered the job over there! I kind of thought that once we get there and start talking with people we would find places. Kind of like here. Nothing really on the internet and just asking the right people, we found more places. Noticed that we will need to slowly get into the snowmobiles if we move there.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:24 PM

I've never been big into snowcats, if I had the money though I'd buy a track kit for my atv. Turns it into a fully tracked vehicle then during the summer back to tires if you want.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:32 PM

That maybe what we will have to do! Be cheaper than buying snowmobiles. What do you know about Rollins, Elmo & Polson?

Old 04-03-2008, 06:48 PM

Just enough to drive through them. Rollins and Elmo are not much from what I've seen and Polson while bigger doesn't seem to be improving a whole lot. I don't know if it's because it's on the res or what...

Old 04-03-2008, 06:56 PM

I was just looking at the real estate there and seemed lower. Probably cause it is on the res.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:29 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,818,819 times
How close to Billings are you thinking about? The BLM has a riding area out by Shepherd. They just started charging a $5 "on your honor" charge for an all day pass. Also, there are areas in the Pryor mountains south of town. We also go on day trips to Benbow (west on the Interstate & up the mountain, about an hour) and to the sandstone hills/dunes down by Lovell, about a 1 1/2 hour drive. There are also place further away. Our favorite for a weekend is up above Cooke City. You can't go until summer due to the weather and there is still some snow up there in July. It is a BLAST to go through the drifts! I'm curious where you live being you are wanting to know about places that are so far apart across the state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana