U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 08:14 AM

9,523 posts, read 7,784,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
It's only on the Montana forum I hear people say those that relocated and don't put the damn state on a pedestal are blaming Montana for their problems. People get that defensive about the state. So weird. I've never seen anything like that anywhere else.

The fact is the situation described is what it took him to make ends meet in the Flathead Valley. Many people in Montana work their fingers to the bone in order to make ends meet and that was what it took mjstef to make ends meet, I'm sure any sane person wouldn't "choose" to live that way. I think most people would agree that's not a good quality of life, especially if you want to actually ENJOY the things Montana has to offer. But as you said, different strokes for different folks.
"I owned a property maintenance business in the Flathead and made a boatload of money but worked 7 days a week to do it..."

IMO, that sounds like he "made ends meet" quite well. The fact remains, if he was in business for himself, and worked 8+hours per day, 7 days a week, it is because he chose to do so. He apparently burned out, and got away from it all. Now, he apparently is making good money again, and making sure he has the free time to enjoy life. Good for him.
IMO, Wisconsin did not do it for him, he did it for himself, just as Montana didn't work him into the ground, he did it to himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 10:09 AM

155 posts, read 114,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"I owned a property maintenance business in the Flathead and made a boatload of money but worked 7 days a week to do it..."

IMO, that sounds like he "made ends meet" quite well. The fact remains, if he was in business for himself, and worked 8+hours per day, 7 days a week, it is because he chose to do so. He apparently burned out, and got away from it all. Now, he apparently is making good money again, and making sure he has the free time to enjoy life. Good for him.
IMO, Wisconsin did not do it for him, he did it for himself, just as Montana didn't work him into the ground, he did it to himself.

I made a boatload of money but it all went to expenses. I am an equipment operator?CDL driver by trade and could have worked for LHC for $16-$18 an hour but that wouldn't have made ends meet unless i lived in town and that wasn't going to happen.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:49 AM

9,523 posts, read 7,784,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
I made a boatload of money but it all went to expenses. I am an equipment operator?CDL driver by trade and could have worked for LHC for $16-$18 an hour but that wouldn't have made ends meet unless i lived in town and that wasn't going to happen.

Again, it was a choice YOU made. Neither the State of Montana nor the Flathead Valley nor the City of Kalispell did it to you.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:34 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,767,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
It's only on the Montana forum I hear people say those that relocated and don't put the damn state on a pedestal are blaming Montana for their problems. People get that defensive about the state. So weird. I've never seen anything like that anywhere else.

The fact is the situation described is what it took him to make ends meet in the Flathead Valley. Many people in Montana work their fingers to the bone in order to make ends meet and that was what it took mjstef to make ends meet, I'm sure any sane person wouldn't "choose" to live that way. I think most people would agree that's not a good quality of life, especially if you want to actually ENJOY the things Montana has to offer. But as you said, different strokes for different folks.
Maybe it's because we love our state and are happy here, and don't agree with those that only come to this board to attack us and our way of life.
I do enjoy what Montana offers, and it's a GREAT quality of life, but then I don't equate quality of life with money. Money is just a tool to get what you want, or to impress someone with how much you have.

If you are happy with what you have, you have enough money to pay for what you need, meet your bills, have a little in your pocket to do something you want once in a while, how much more do you really need?

I can provide for my family just fine. I do what I want, I get to hunt and fish, camp, hike, I have a garden, I have my shop where I can work my forge and make what I want, I make stuff I sell at gun shows or orders for a little extra, but not because I need it. I raise and sell dogs, but that's a labor of love because I'd raise these dogs for nothing if needed because they're such fantastic animals.
I raise a couple calves each year so my family has the best meat possible.

I have my retirement set up so I can retire anytime I want, I paid for my college, I've paid for my home, yes I've worked 2 jobs at a time, I put in a lot of hours, but most are out of doing what I love in a place I love to be.
I could have made a lot of money if I'd moved to someplace else, but I wouldn't have been where I wanted to be and would have been miserable living in a city with no soul. I could have been well off money wise, but completely impoverished in spirit.

No, I'm not rich or even well off, but I'm happy.

I've never understood people that equate money with being happy, but that's probably why I'm happy living in Montana, while others live somewhere else where they make money, but can't help haunting internet boards telling others about how bad it is here. You left, why keep coming back to a board for a state you have nothing to do with anymore, and really seem to have a serious dislike for?

That is a question that really begs an answer

Old 11-16-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Again, it was a choice YOU made. Neither the State of Montana nor the Flathead Valley nor the City of Kalispell did it to you.

The choice i made was to bring my kids up with nature in the country which is un-afordable to do there. The wages just are not their to be able to do it. The people with money have driven the prices so high that the working man has had to leave.

Today their are 4 MLS listings in the entirety of Flathead County that are $188,000 or less, 1 singlewide, 1 doublewide, 1 condo and 1 SFR which according to any payment calculator out their is what someone who is in the 60th percentile of income, $59,500 a year, can afford if they have no other debt but a $400 a month car payment. On the car payment you either pay into savings like i do and pay cash or pay a payment to a bank and lets face it, 20K in 5 years isn't going to buy much of a car these days. I was putting on 40-50,000 miles a year and i only lived 8 miles from town.

Anyway, below is the income chart for the valley. Tell me how many people you know that are making 60K or more a year in the valley? Your example above is great but their hasn't been $35-$40,000 homes in the Flathead for 20 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking Into Relocating To Montana-clipboard04.jpg  

Old 11-16-2018, 12:10 PM

And here are your 4 choices of homes if you have no debt other than a $400 car payment and make $60,000 a year which is $12,000 MORE than the median income in Flathead County. The singlewide is under contract so that really leaves only 3 choices.

https://www.flexmls.com/share/1sxPY/Selected

Old 11-16-2018, 12:21 PM

If your making 150% of median as a family or $72,000 a year with a $400 car payment you qualify for a $244,000 home, Here are your choices.

5 Townhomes, 4 under contract
14 SFH, 2 UC
4 Manufactured, 1 UC

3 condos.

So a choice of 19 homes today.

https://www.flexmls.com/share/1sxTP/Selected

Old 11-16-2018, 01:58 PM

4,644 posts, read 3,968,925 times
The OP is retired military moving from CA. The conversion of CA real estate to MT real estate will be favorable. He doesn't have to live where there are 75k/yr jobs & 350k starter homes. It should work out fine for him.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:13 PM

14 posts, read 7,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
The OP is retired military moving from CA. The conversion of CA real estate to MT real estate will be favorable. He doesn't have to live where there are 75k/yr jobs & 350k starter homes. It should work out fine for him.
Just to qualify this, I am a retired merchant mariner, not military...no malice intended.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

I've never understood people that equate money with being happy, but that's probably why I'm happy living in Montana, while others live somewhere else where they make money, but can't help haunting internet boards telling others about how bad it is here. You left, why keep coming back to a board for a state you have nothing to do with anymore, and really seem to have a serious dislike for?

That is a question that really begs an answer

To answer your question i guess my hope is i save at least 1 person some heartache. From 2007-2016 i secured and serviced over 1,0000 foreclosures in Western Montana for about 7 different banks, Finance companies and the Federal government. About 1/2 of them where people that had been in the state less than 10 years, 10% where second homes and the balance where locals that ended up with more house than they could afford. These new Montana residents came out to the mountains with big dreams, over paid for their homes and lost them. Many turned into renters but a lot of them left for good. So many where just 1 spouse's job loss away from loosing it all and when the economy crashed it was all over with. Some spouses went to North Dakota in order to try to hang on to their homes and it worked for some. I did so many evictions with the owners either pissed at me because i worked for the bank or crying on my shoulders that i decided it would be a good idea to hopefully make people think before jumping off the cliff and moving there. The worst thing for me was seeing the children's faces. This still haunts me.

The problem is for the last 20 years or so Montana has been a place where BOTH husband and wife have to work in order to afford housing. Their are VERY few jobs that pay enough for a one income household. I foresee the same thing happening in 3-5 years as the rate people are moving there and the astronomical prices they are paying for realestate is staggering. Foreclosures are already on the uptick. In October, 1 in every 4,315 homes in Montana where in some stage of foreclosure compared to North Dakota where their is much more affordable real estate and better jobs. North Dakota was 1 in every 21,647 Their was 112 new foreclosure filings in Montana in October which is a 90% increase from the yearly average of 58 per month. to put that in perspective, North Dakota had 15 new foreclosures in October and only 25% less population. ND's average is 21 a month, Less than 1/2 of Montana's average. Mark my words it's coming again.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or