U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 08:45 PM

20 posts, read 13,347 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to the Kalispell area to be with my boyfriend. I honestly don’t know what to expect. Other than visiting twice, I have no frame of reference. Can you give me an idea of what to expect as far as finding a place to live and a job? I currently work for a school so i have two months next summer to be there and look for a job (but will have something to fall back on if I can’t). Just was hoping to get some feedback, thanks in advance.

I’m from the south, and currently live in Colorado for school. Montana will be a huge change and I’m not sure what to expect.

Also, if it helps. I have experience in a ton of things. I’m finishing my marketing and business degree. But, I have done clerical and assistant work, event coordination, as well as been a CNA (still have a current license but it is for the state of Colorado so I’d need to transfer that) and serving but I wish not to do those two things if I don’t have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 10:17 AM

1,453 posts, read 3,665,972 times
Expect a high cost of living and low-paying jobs ... as in $10-18 per hour on average, and not much in the way of benefits. This economy is mainly driven by outdoor tourism and wealthy folks who come here to retire and throw their money around.

The hospital is the biggest employer, but it's had issues lately with grifters and crooks running the organization, and a lot of folks have lost their jobs in recent months. CNA might be your only viable near-term option.

CO would present far more opportunity in terms of getting a career going. What about suggesting your boyfriend look at moving to CO? Is there something keeping him in MT?

Old 11-25-2018, 12:53 PM

4,720 posts, read 4,013,639 times
My observation is that the Kalispell/flathead area seems have more residents who are underemployed -they have two jobs to make ends meet- than some other regions of the state.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Expect a high cost of living and low-paying jobs ... as in $10-18 per hour on average, and not much in the way of benefits. This economy is mainly driven by outdoor tourism and wealthy folks who come here to retire and throw their money around.

The hospital is the biggest employer, but it's had issues lately with grifters and crooks running the organization, and a lot of folks have lost their jobs in recent months. CNA might be your only viable near-term option.

CO would present far more opportunity in terms of getting a career going. What about suggesting your boyfriend look at moving to CO? Is there something keeping him in MT?

I would much rather move him here than me move there. Iím not sure, I know he is applying for jobs he really wants in Montana. I too, think it would be easier here for us here, but Iím not sure heíll leave his family again. I donít know, I may have to be the one to make the big sacrifice. Thank you though for your feedback! It helps (:

Old 11-25-2018, 11:17 PM

5,798 posts, read 9,294,198 times
You've already moved once, I assume out of your Southern comfort zone, to CO with its totally different climate and geography. To do that, you must have started out with a sense of adventure. I suggest you hold on to that sense of adventure, and give Kalispell and your BF a chance. The scenery is breathtaking, and two months next summer will give you some sense of what the area has to offer, both in terms of job opportunities and excursions/road trips. Will you be done with school by next summer? Otherwise I suggest you stick it out in CO until you have your degree. Then you're never going to have to ask yourself, What if I'd stayed in school?

Old 11-26-2018, 12:55 PM

837 posts, read 586,555 times
If I may ask, what were you working towards with a marketing and management degree? The real money in this economy is in the medical field, but not at CNA. CNA should only be used as a stepping stone to LPN or RN.

I work in the tax industry, so I get to meet people from all walks of life, and get to know what they really earn. I don't think that you will find a "true" marketing job in MT. My wife has a friend in NY that works in marketing, and she only earns 85k a year, in one of the most expensive cities in the country. She creates marketing strategies for businesses. Management can cover allot of different areas, but you don't start making decent money until late in your career. You have to put in tons of hours, many unpaid, for decades. Most people don't realize that even Wal-Mart store managers get paid over 70k a year. Some in high performing stores make over 100k. That being said, they all started out as front line assistant managers, and they start at 30k.

What does your BF want to do? My family and I moved to MT from FL almost 5 years ago. We made the move with 4 kids so it can be done. There are plenty of good paying jobs in this state, they are just a little harder to find. As a whole, MT has lots of job opportunities, especially in the state, county, federal markets. Let me know if you want specific information.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:41 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,015,236 times
I am looking to relocate to the Kalispell area to be with my boyfriend. I honestly donít know what to expect. Other than visiting twice, I have no frame of reference. Can you give me an idea of what to expect as far as finding a place to live and a job? I currently work for a school so i have two months next summer to be there and look for a job (but will have something to fall back on if I canít). Just was hoping to get some feedback, thanks in advance.
There are plenty of minimum wage jobs available, not many middle class types of jobs. The cost of living is very high. It might be comparable to where you are but just be aware the salaries in Montana are generally lower than the national average.

Iím from the south, and currently live in Colorado for school. Montana will be a huge change and Iím not sure what to expect.
Depending on the part of Colorado you live in it may not be a huge change. Weather wise it is quite gray there in the winter. Politics wise, if you're in Boulder it is the polar opposite but if you're in Colorado Springs it won't feel so foreign. It will definitely be much less traffic and not as much big city type of entertainment. Plenty of outdoor activities.

Also, if it helps. I have experience in a ton of things. Iím finishing my marketing and business degree. But, I have done clerical and assistant work, event coordination, as well as been a CNA (still have a current license but it is for the state of Colorado so Iíd need to transfer that) and serving but I wish not to do those two things if I donít have to.
There likely aren't too many jobs in marketing and business but could be worth a look. You may get lucky.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I am looking to relocate to the Kalispell area to be with my boyfriend. I honestly don’t know what to expect. Other than visiting twice, I have no frame of reference. Can you give me an idea of what to expect as far as finding a place to live and a job? I currently work for a school so i have two months next summer to be there and look for a job (but will have something to fall back on if I can’t). Just was hoping to get some feedback, thanks in advance.
There are plenty of minimum wage jobs available, not many middle class types of jobs. The cost of living is very high. It might be comparable to where you are but just be aware the salaries in Montana are generally lower than the national average.

I’m from the south, and currently live in Colorado for school. Montana will be a huge change and I’m not sure what to expect.
Depending on the part of Colorado you live in it may not be a huge change. Weather wise it is quite gray there in the winter. Politics wise, if you're in Boulder it is the polar opposite but if you're in Colorado Springs it won't feel so foreign. It will definitely be much less traffic and not as much big city type of entertainment. Plenty of outdoor activities.

Also, if it helps. I have experience in a ton of things. I’m finishing my marketing and business degree. But, I have done clerical and assistant work, event coordination, as well as been a CNA (still have a current license but it is for the state of Colorado so I’d need to transfer that) and serving but I wish not to do those two things if I don’t have to.
There likely aren't too many jobs in marketing and business but could be worth a look. You may get lucky.
This was all very helpful! Thank you so much (: I live in Colorado Springs currently. And I’ve only been to kalispell in the winter for thanksgiving and Christmas and it is quite gray (kind of depressing). Colorado at least has some sunny days sprinkled in throughout winter but Montana doesn’t look like that. I’m just worried about finding a house and a job :/

Old 11-26-2018, 05:16 PM

Thank you for the positivity! That’s what I keep trying to tell myself but I have to make sure I have a job and a place to live. I’m hoping he’d move in with me but I have to be able to live alone if he cannot.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:16 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,015,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshineandsouthernmess View Post
This was all very helpful! Thank you so much (: I live in Colorado Springs currently. And Iíve only been to kalispell in the winter for thanksgiving and Christmas and it is quite gray (kind of depressing). Colorado at least has some sunny days sprinkled in throughout winter but Montana doesnít look like that. Iím just worried about finding a house and a job :/
The last sentence should definitely be your priority. It sounds like you're being smart about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or