U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 03:36 PM

130 posts, read 99,729 times

Advertisements

No offense, but why would anyone want to move from balmy Georgia to the center of Antarctica? Have you ever experienced a winter up here? Not to be taken lightly, and they last a looong time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 09:40 PM

7,634 posts, read 8,911,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockskipper View Post
No offense, but why would anyone want to move from balmy Georgia to the center of Antarctica? Have you ever experienced a winter up here? Not to be taken lightly, and they last a looong time.
Montana winters have nothing on North Dakota winters. Personally Georgia sounds like my idea of hell. I'm sure the people are decent but way too hot and humid for my liking.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:17 PM

823 posts, read 571,026 times
Quote:

We moved from Florida, and we love the winters up here. I guess it goes with that old saying about the grass being greener on the other side. People up North are tired of the snow and move south. People in the south are tired of the constant heat and 90% humidity and move North. Oh, and don't forget about the year round Mosquitoes, Fleas, Ticks, and Roaches the size of Hummingbirds.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:02 AM

7 posts, read 4,174 times
Thanks for the replies regarding the winter.

I grew up in Northern Illinois and Wisconsin and have been in Georgia for 22 years.

One of the biggest regrets that I had when I moved to Georgia was selling my ice fishing gear!

I also miss hunting in the snow...

I am fully prepared to face the winters and relish the opportunity!

No more "year round Mosquitoes, Fleas, Ticks, and Roaches the size of Hummingbirds."!!!

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

Old 12-20-2018, 08:03 AM

7 posts, read 4,174 times
One question that I haven't asked...

Where are the best K-12 schools in the Helena area?

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

Old 12-20-2018, 04:32 PM

726 posts, read 917,543 times
How come everyone who wants to move to Montana says they love winters, but everyone born here (or moved here a long time) never says that?

Old 12-26-2018, 10:44 AM

112 posts, read 82,952 times
I grew up in North Georgia, spent many years in the VA/DC area and am now back in WV.

I'll take a Butte winter over any of them and twice on Sunday. I can rake leaves in a t shirt at 20 degrees in MT, or sit at an outdoor cafe in a long sleeve shirt at 35 degrees in the sun and work on my laptop.

35 degrees in GA and you're cold. 35 degrees here in WV and you're freezing. The humidity makes a huge difference in how temperatures feel.

That said there were plenty of brutally cold winter days but overall I'd take a MT winter over any winter on the East coast. 38 degrees and rain is miserable.

Regarding Missoula and Helena, we lived in Butte and loved it, but if I had to pick between those two I'd likely go Helena, as one of the first folks said, it's a lot sunnier up there in winter, without the inversion.

The river is nice in Missoula and it's more green...you really need to visit both (in winter) and see which you'd prefer.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:12 PM

130 posts, read 99,729 times
I guess you guys who like winter up here have never lived in Livingston with its constant winds and brutal windchill.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:43 PM

4,877 posts, read 5,746,672 times
Quote:
I guess you guys who like winter up here have never lived in Livingston with its constant winds and brutal windchill.
I was raised in Livingston. I agree, wind chill sucks, but I'll take the cold and wind over damp and cold anytime. I was hunting in Illinois, it was about 35 degrees, but with the humidity, I had carhart insulated coveralls, down vest, Mickey mouse boots, bomber hat, snowmobile mittens and pocket heaters, and just about froze to death

Montana gets cold, but its a dry cold. I've worked outside running trap lines, fixing vehicles, plowing, taking care of livestock etc at -40 with winds of 20+ mph, and not been as cold as I was in Illinois

I'll stay here thank you.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:00 PM

7,634 posts, read 8,911,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I was raised in Livingston. I agree, wind chill sucks, but I'll take the cold and wind over damp and cold anytime. I was hunting in Illinois, it was about 35 degrees, but with the humidity, I had carhart insulated coveralls, down vest, Mickey mouse boots, bomber hat, snowmobile mittens and pocket heaters, and just about froze to death

Montana gets cold, but its a dry cold. I've worked outside running trap lines, fixing vehicles, plowing, taking care of livestock etc at -40 with winds of 20+ mph, and not been as cold as I was in Illinois

I'll stay here thank you.
Yes Midwestern cold with the humidity is brutal compared to the dry cold in Montana. You can't wear enough to keep warm there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or