U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 06:55 AM

118 posts, read 86,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I was raised in Livingston. I agree, wind chill sucks, but I'll take the cold and wind over damp and cold anytime. I was hunting in Illinois, it was about 35 degrees, but with the humidity, I had carhart insulated coveralls, down vest, Mickey mouse boots, bomber hat, snowmobile mittens and pocket heaters, and just about froze to death

Montana gets cold, but its a dry cold. I've worked outside running trap lines, fixing vehicles, plowing, taking care of livestock etc at -40 with winds of 20+ mph, and not been as cold as I was in Illinois

I'll stay here thank you.
Absolutely.

We were just looking through photos of two years ago in Butte it was -20 and we were walking the dogs wearing jackets that we wear UNDER the other jackets we wear here when it's +30 degrees.

I'm just biding time until I can get back out there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 11:10 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,293 posts, read 3,329,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fishunt View Post
Thanks for the replies regarding the winter.

I grew up in Northern Illinois and Wisconsin ....
Regards,
Mr. Fishunt
Let me guess:... you lived in one of these Counties?

Lake County, IL
McHenry. " IL
Boone. " IL

As a kid my friends and I ICE FISHED on Round Lake. Gages Lake. Fox Lake, Diamond Lake, and Bangs Lake.

Lots of good times ice fishing back "in-the'day".........
Home-made ICE BOATS were a common thing and were a lot of fun.

Those years right after WWII were a great time to go through high school.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:01 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,600,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Montana winters have nothing on North Dakota winters. Personally Georgia sounds like my idea of hell. I'm sure the people are decent but way too hot and humid for my liking.
Totally TRUE!! We have been living in northeastern Florida, aka Jacksonville, for almost 10 years now. Basically, a totally wrong place to move for us and it's taken us this long to figure that out.

As for me, I've been in both Bosman and Billings. Wife and I lived for 5 1/2 years 28 miles south of Denver, CO and are now in the total process of moving back, but to the northern part of Colorado this time. We will be in our early 70's and retired.

As far as Montana goes, absolutely beautiful country, whether it's in the winter or summer. But, one thing for sure, Georgia is no where near like Montana. I'd choose living in a Rocky Mountain or High Plains State any day over living anywhere in the South or East Coast.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:56 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,293 posts, read 3,329,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Totally TRUE!! We have been living in northeastern Florida, aka Jacksonville, for almost 10 years now. Basically, a totally wrong place to move for us and it's taken us this long to figure that out.
My question is not meant to ridaquel or demean you.......

.But, Why did it take ALMOST 10 YRS to realize that Jacksonville, FL was not the "right place" for you to live??
Did you research, visit and check-out Jacksonville in detail before you decided to make "that" move?
Just curious....., I hope you make the right decision this time.
I hope you are aware that the Over-all Cost of Living in Castle Rock, CO .........as an example......is 56% more expensive than Jacksonville, FL.
OR, in other words:, ....
If your annual living expenses (COL) have been say for example,. $30,000 avg/per/yr, .....you will need at least $46,000+ per year to maintain the same life style and standard of living.
Or, Fort Collins. CO Is 29.8% more expensive......
and Loveland, CO is 23.9 % more expensive
Good luck.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 12-31-2018 at 12:06 AM..

Old 12-31-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
My question is not meant to ridaquel or demean you.......

.But, Why did it take ALMOST 10 YRS to realize that Jacksonville, FL was not the "right place" for you to live??
Did you research, visit and check-out Jacksonville in detail before you decided to make "that" move?
Just curious....., I hope you make the right decision this time.
I hope you are aware that the Over-all Cost of Living in Castle Rock, CO .........as an example......is 56% more expensive than Jacksonville, FL.
OR, in other words:, ....
If your annual living expenses (COL) have been say for example,. $30,000 avg/per/yr, .....you will need at least $46,000+ per year to maintain the same life style and standard of living.
Or, Fort Collins. CO Is 29.8% more expensive......
and Loveland, CO is 23.9 % more expensive
Good luck.
We actually figured it out a few years ago, but finances always rule when making a move. In 2017, we had a major boat repair of the I/O and new fiberglass of the stern, so we knew our move for 2018 was gone.

My wife just found out, early this year, that the company she works for will be closing in Jacksonville. So, we'd either have to move to Alabama, where a branch is, or she'd have to find a new job here OR we'd move out of Florida. We discussed it and decided we didn't want to move to Alabama, or anywhere in the South for that matter, so...…….back to Colorado was really discussed and pretty much approved.

We did check out Jacksonville. We stayed in the southern part, which is much less crime than some other areas, for about a week and found an apartment. At the time, we were living in North Carolina, just above Charlotte. For different reasons, after living in Huntersville for a year, my wife didn't like North Carolina anymore. I agreed with her. She had a descent job, but got laid-off. Since we were, and still are, into power boating, we decided to check-out the waterways of Jacksonville. We were really impressed with the St. Johns River. We had already made plans, and paid for a room, for the Christmas Boat Parade, in Charleston, SC, so Jacksonville was 1/2 way from there. BTW, when we left Colorado, to go to North Carolina, our bowrider was sold by the dealer we bought it from in Colorado.

To us, Jacksonville has changed quite a bit since we moved here in Jan. 2009, and, from our viewpoint, not so much for the good.

We missed seeing Bull Elk, going into the Rockies, rodeo action, nice state and county fairs and freshwater lakes for power boating and trout fishing. None of that was where we live here.

We wouldn't be moving back to the central part of the Front Range, aka the Parker area, where it is much more expensive and many more people than when we had our house there. We will be living in the Loveland/Ft Collins area. Loveland has 78,000 people, compared to 931,000 here in Jacksonville. Major difference in population and traffic. Jacksonville isn't a slow-paced or retirement area at all. Absolutely nothing here for Seniors to do.

I was with PRCA for a number of years and classified as a Team Roper/"header". Don't do that anymore, but our interest in pro-rodeo is still very, very high. We watched every round of the WNFR on the CBS Sports Network earlier this month. Since living here, we've only wore our western clothes twice...…….in 10 years! Both times to a USTRC affiliated roping at the equestrian center outside of Jacksonville.

The past July, flew back to Colorado, wearing our Wrangler jeans, Resistol hats and Ariat boots. We were very, very noticeable at the Jacksonville airport! Stayed and checked out Loveland and liked it. Even stopped by Boyd Lake. People were nicer there than here. Went to a go-around at Cheyenne Frontier Days, as well. All kinds of corn fields, tractors and round bales of hay all along the I-25, from the E-470 north thru Loveland and Ft Collins. None of that here! Heck, we've even been to the Centennial Livestock Auction in Ft Collins.

So, does this pretty much explain the "why?" we want to, and need, to move?

Old 12-31-2018, 09:38 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,576,702 times
Oh, so you're really a long-lost Westerner. Lookin' forward to being able to say "Welcome Back!"

Old 12-31-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Oh, so you're really a long-lost Westerner. Lookin' forward to being able to say "Welcome Back!"
Thanks!! Looking forward to getting back to where we belong.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:10 PM

1,115 posts, read 984,939 times
I guess when we finally get to move out there, I can just toss the coats out. Here in MO, in the northern half, I split wood in a t shirt as a teen. It was around 5 degrees if I remember right. Dad was always after me to wear more clothes. I only get cold if I sweat. Or have to sit still without enough on. Down here, I rarely use gloves, only wear a hat when it’s raining(except summer), and hardly ever wear insulated boots and never thick socks. And that’s in these “horrific” midwestern winters. Nice dry winter like y’all get, I’d probably have to be careful not to get frostbit running uncovered below zero a fair chunk...

Old 01-01-2019, 09:12 AM

7 posts, read 4,241 times
Default Montana Relocation

All,
Thanks for the replies!

I accepted the position and start with the new company on February 1!

We have decided on Helena as our first choice.

Montana Griz - I grew up in Winnebago County, Rockford area... I lived in Madison, WI as well, and ice fished all the way west to the Mississippi River and north to Lake Superior.

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

Old 01-01-2019, 02:57 PM

4,885 posts, read 5,769,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
I guess when we finally get to move out there, I can just toss the coats out. Here in MO, in the northern half, I split wood in a t shirt as a teen. It was around 5 degrees if I remember right. Dad was always after me to wear more clothes. I only get cold if I sweat. Or have to sit still without enough on. Down here, I rarely use gloves, only wear a hat when it’s raining(except summer), and hardly ever wear insulated boots and never thick socks. And that’s in these “horrific” midwestern winters. Nice dry winter like y’all get, I’d probably have to be careful not to get frostbit running uncovered below zero a fair chunk...
Amazing as it sounds, I do know a guy that shovels his walkway in a hoodie and short pants. He doesn't like wearing long pants unless it's below zero, or there's a wind.
If you're moving, dressing light to avoid sweat is a good idea. In cold, you sweat, you die if you're out away from shelter. If you're damp hypothermia is a real danger, but if you're moving you keep warm with a lot less insulation than you might believe. Layers are a way of life here, so a good thermal undershirt, wool shirt, jacket or insulated sweater and a vest for your top layers for example, will keep you very comfortable while hunting in pretty cold temps. Strip off layers as you walk, add them when resting or in a stand.
You already know as you said in your post, but a good hat and gloves are necessary for protecting your ears and hands in the cold. We get huge temperature swings here, hot to cold and vice versa. My great uncle lost all his fingers and toes to frostbite in that kind of situation. A light daypack with a wool watch cap and some good gloves, and an extra pair of dry wool socks can really save your butt.

You'll learn what you need when you get here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fishunt View Post
All,
Thanks for the replies!

I accepted the position and start with the new company on February 1!

We have decided on Helena as our first choice.

Montana Griz - I grew up in Winnebago County, Rockford area... I lived in Madison, WI as well, and ice fished all the way west to the Mississippi River and north to Lake Superior.

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt
Congratulations!

I think you'll enjoy Helena. I've lived here nearly 30 years. Not bad as towns go.

But hopefully, I sign on a small 160 acre off grid place on February 1. and I'll be moving from there.

Really looking forward to it. I don't like towns. This place has good water, lots of crop ground, unbelievable wildlife, and my nearest neighbor is about a mile and a half away, no neighbors within five miles on the other 3 sides, the closest town is 10 miles to the north, and only 200 people there. 30 miles to the nearest town of 1500.

It's a little crowded, but I'm getting older so I need to have some services closer than I used to.

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 01-01-2019 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or