Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 06:36 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Actually, bear meat is great, and the law requires the meat not be wasted. The old mountain men always said mountain lion was the best meat out there. I haven't tried it, but I doubt it's better than bobcat.

Many of us that hunt out here use what we hunt. A freezer full of wild game means lots of good healthy meat that's low in saturated fats, no artificial hormones or antibiotics. Lots of the meat is shared too. Hunters Against Hunger and the state Fish and Game teamed up so surplus animals are donated, meat processors will process it free of charge, and the meat is donated to food banks and senior centers.

Utilizing our natural resources, wild edibles, berries, tubers, and game means if a person wants to, they can really supplement their diet, and help the community.
Raising our own livestock or buying direct from the ranchers, raising and preserving home grown foods from home gardens, we can live very close to nature and eat very healthy.

Pays off in the long run. My father still ranches, logs with horses, and took a very nice cow elk this fall. He's slowed up some, but he still breaks horses, hays, runs his sawmill and does all the maintenance on his tractors and other equipment. He also takes care of my mother, and will be helping me with a home remodel this spring. Not too bad for an 83 year old.

Living a more natural life close to nature, including hunting and gathering, fishing for your food make for a long healthy life.

I will admit though, wolves aren't good for much of anything.
Aw, c’mon, man. Dontcha just love to hear them howling on a cold winter night? That primordial shiver down the spine has to be worth something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 07:55 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,572,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Aw, c’mon, man. Dontcha just love to hear them howling on a cold winter night? That primordial shiver down the spine has to be worth something!
About $1000 per pelt

Old 01-15-2019, 07:35 AM

145 posts, read 209,498 times
The thing that really bothered me about "hunting" in Montana were the lazy trash who'd just park on the side of the road where known herds would gather and shoot from there. That's not hunting, that's just shooting.

Also the ones who would discard their poached animals in common public areas.

But there is trash everywhere, not just Montana.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:06 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneVespa View Post
The thing that really bothered me about "hunting" in Montana were the lazy trash who'd just park on the side of the road where known herds would gather and shoot from there. That's not hunting, that's just shooting.

Also the ones who would discard their poached animals in common public areas.

But there is trash everywhere, not just Montana.
Or the ones who just took the antlers and left the rest of the animal to rot. So trashy.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:05 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
About $1000 per pelt
They bring that? Or are you just paying that?

Old 01-16-2019, 11:07 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,572,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
They bring that? Or are you just paying that?

For a good pelt, sell to a taxidermist, that's what they can bring. Raw fur prices vary, but the one listing I could find quickly for recent sales is for Timber Wolves, not Canadian Greys, and were listing for $1080.

The Timber wolves are much smaller, usually topping out at 70 lbs. Canadian Greys that were introduced into Montana are much bigger, 150 lbs.

Personally, I wouldn't give a plugged nickel for the whole lot of them.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:21 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
I’d say Missoula and surrounds would be more appropriate for the OP. Just my observations of the past decade...

Old 01-17-2019, 12:18 AM

4 posts, read 5,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I’d say Missoula and surrounds would be more appropriate for the OP. Just my observations of the past decade...
Thank you Threerun.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:12 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
I wouldn’t sweat it so much. For the most part this place is a live and let live place.

My co-workers still rib me because I like collard greens, black eyed peas and boiled peanuts, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana