U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering move to Montana from Connecticut, enjoy outdoor activities, fishing, hunting, off-roading, seeking advice on where to live in Montana

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 04:16 PM

4 posts, read 7,925 times

Advertisements

Wow!

As I have read over some of the posts with people inquiring on the possible relocation to Montana, California gets a pretty bad wrap. When I hear of the negatives of Californians, I have to say there are similarities with Connecticut (Nutmeggars) matter of fact, the tri-state areas. (Connecticut, New York & New Jersey and I'll add a fourth, Massachusetts)

Here I sit with just about eleven years until I retire from law enforcement and I知 not a huge fan of where I was born and raised; back here in Connecticut. So, I知 on the hunt for someplace to retire to. Why Montana? I知 not sure. It痴 one of those States I never heard anything bad about (few law related things, but what place doesn't) and through people that I know that have vacationed there, through film and photographs I have seen, I知 highly impressed.

I知 very much apart of the 徹utdoor Scene. I am not at all a radical liberal environmentalist , which does thrive here in what I値l call the Quad States. I believe in enjoying the outdoors by using what it has to offer, instead of viewing it from a distance. I off-road, fish, photograph and would probably hunt if I were more the type that liked red meat. I知 more of the chicken & fish variety with the occasional hamburger. Off-roading is what I do the most when we head out on weekends; looking for those vertical rock formations to launch up or drop off. When I do fish, I wade the waters of certain rivers here (Housatonic and Farmington) in search of one of my favorite game fish, the Smallmouth Bass. When in the ponds and lakes; pike, pickerel, smallmouth and sometimes the largemouth. I am also a PBR fan, yep When the PBR is within the Quad-States, I head out to each venue.

The question would be, where? Montana is a monstrosity compared to little ole Connecticut. I do not need to have people up my @** anymore and would rather live with some distance, but not total isolation. I do like neighbors and smaller type communities. Traveling distances to get somewhere is not a problem. For me to head to a major grocery store, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. are all within 15 minutes of me. Wal-Mart, the major grocery store and some big food restaurant chains (Outback, Ruby Tuesday痴 & Bertucci痴) are within a mile of me. It痴 nice, but I really can do with out that, without that traffic, without that light pollution at night. I travel 60 miles (one way) to a friend痴 house just about three to four times a week, without question. As far as climate, dry I would lean towards more. I like the 滴igh Desert type areas with moderate temperatures.

So pretty much I知 an inquiring mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 04:55 PM

529 posts, read 1,728,341 times
Montana has many of those things you are looking for, including the restaurants. We do enjoy a good variety of tastey food here.

As far as being liberal??... well, there's o-bunch-o-those on the west side.
So much so, that I moved east just to get away from all of the so called environmentalists.

I try hard to not discourage anyone from coming here really, afterall, it is a very beautiful place, with a bunch of friendly folks.... and plenty of room.

While living in Missoula, I happened to welcome some folks from out of state (california) with open arms.... helping or assisting whenever I could.... being the good neighbor so to speak....

Until one day, I was out in my yard, messing with the flower beds, and my neighbor from california came over (into my yard) and insisted that I put my cigarette out... She only lived about 500 feet from me, and I felt her agenda was sort of "way out there".

I felt that that was the last straw..... Here I had assisted greatly with regard to these people, only to have "her" came into my yard and attempt to presume upon me in such a fashion as that.

I quit smoking years ago, but that incident is as fresh in my mind as if it were yesterday.

Sure, californians may get a bad rap I suppose... and I think that it's folks like that neighbor I used to have in Missoula that truely screws it up for all of the other good folks that come from that place....

We sort of just live and let live around here.. or at least, try to.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:01 PM

4 posts, read 7,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
As far as being liberal??... well, there's o-bunch-o-those on the west side.

Until one day...and insisted that I put my cigarette out... She only lived about 500 feet from me, and I felt her agenda was sort of "way out there".

but that incident is as fresh in my mind as if it were yesterday.

Sure, californians may get a bad rap I suppose...

Looks like I'll be an Easterner if I get out that way I'm done with that liberal attitude that is sooo much around me here. (Unless I make it my quest to be a thorn in the side for my retirement years)

Your cigarette run in with the Cali folk. I can see that happening here as well. It's not a shocker to me. Since I don't smoke, I'd be burning brush daily with a neighbor like that

I know we can't categorize all people that live in a particular State as one thing, but the majority does speak for them. Just like here, a bunch of "tree-hugging-it's not OK in my backyard" minded people and I'm not part of that majority here in the Quad States

Again, I like to use the great outdoors freely and basically unobstructed.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:14 AM

529 posts, read 1,728,341 times
I'm reminded of another interesting incident that happened a while back too....

It's really kind of funny (sort of sad too).....

Got a new neighbor here in these parts, very friendly and responsible.. (good neighbors make good fences)

Anyhow..... they got all moved in and settled, and one day, while driving past their place on the way home, I noticed some multi-colored receptacles along side of their regular can for garbage..... Hmm, I thought to myself...... interesting. Guess these folks are all off into recycling....... (not a bad thing)

On garbage day, I noticed the Waste Management Systems truck taking a good long look at those containers, filled with paper, glass and that sort.... finally, picking them up and putting their contents in with all of the other trash on the truck.......

I kind of felt bad for these folks, because they were really trying to do a good thing......

Instead, and over a period of time, the wind blew their recycled materials receptacles around the county.... my yard, the other neighbors yard... and so forth.... of course we would return them to their rightfull owner and go about our business.......

This poor dear neighbor of mine finally gave it up after some of our neighborhood kids began to use them as target practice......
Now, they no longer put these receptacles out for garbage pick up..... they just throw everything into the one.

I think recycling is a good thing..... I'm all for it...... we're just not geared for the real cost of such a program out here in the county though.....

I know that the majority of those who come here (relocate) really mean well...... They are trying to experience the good life here in Montana...... And I certainly can't blame them.... this is God's country in every sense....
Now I know Montana will be run-amok eventually..... and end up in the same bucket that many of these other heavily populated areas around the nation are........ It's not a question of "If" but more of a question of "When".

If I can assist at all in helping another experience the true quality of Montana, before it becomes totally ruined by free thinkers, I will, and I'll be happy to do it......... Even if the experience lasts just a little while longer... it would surely be worth it to me to see the joy in the eyes of those who come here and actually have a chance to live the real life we have to offer......away from all of the liberal-non-sense-tree-hugging-wanna-be-know-it-alls.........

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 12-23-2006 at 11:30 AM..

Old 12-25-2006, 02:25 PM

21 posts, read 82,676 times
The Californian who tried to make you put out your cigarette from 500' away reminds me of what I have come to know and hate about "tree-huggers." I have lived 18 years in Florida, South Florida, (a place very near to the United States but not quite there) and the county I live in, Broward County, is overloaded with tree-huggers of the Eastern US variety, along with multitude of pushy, overbearing immigrants who will not assimilate. Many of the tree huggers and their collegues around the state would outlaw Florida fishing if they could figure out a way. They have periodically attempted to pressure the NPS to ban fishing in Everglades National Park, one of the major areas for back country saltwater fishing down here. Hunting in southeast Florida is very, very, limited due to the massive amount of concrete that has made its way here over the years and what litte areas are left for hunting are also under attack by the environmentalists.
I think anyone that would move to Montana with the attitude that their way is the best way is an idiot. I hunt, fish, drink, and smoke big cigars. I hope to retire to Montana after 35 years in law enforcement and fully intend to continue each of those wonderful pursuits. God bless you Montanians for your freedom, and your guts to stand up for it. Political correctness is going to be the end of this nation. I hope with the grace of god to join you there soon and I assure you, I will adopt to your ways, unlike the Californians, New Yorkers or the masses of immigrants here in this so called melting pot where that I currently live.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:33 PM

737 posts, read 2,839,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLeonardAthas View Post
I hope with the grace of god to join you there soon and I assure you, I will adopt to your ways, unlike the Californians, New Yorkers or the masses of immigrants here in this so called melting pot where that I currently live.

Hey now, not all us Kaleeforkneeans are like that I happen to agree with you

Old 12-27-2006, 08:51 PM

16 posts, read 157,075 times
Whoa! The woman who requested that you put out the butt was out of line. In her home, she has the right. Outside, anywhere, nope. And I'm a NY liberal!

Montana sounds great but this transplanted Ny'r CA'n isn't interested in snow. So you're safe from an invasion, lol.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:57 PM

149 posts, read 578,979 times
Question recycling

[quote=GiftShoppeGuy;227295]I'm reminded of another interesting incident that happened a while back too....

I kind of felt bad for these folks, because they were really trying to do a good thing......
I think recycling is a good thing..... I'm all for it...... we're just not geared for the real cost of such a program out here in the county though.....[quote]

Speaking to the issue of recycling.....I am a die-hard recycle/reuser but not to the point of fanaticism or foisting it on future neighbors. Yes, in California we have many areas with mandated recycling. Yes, it is a good thing. Yes, I would do it (and did so) before it was mandated.

When I recently visited my brother in Vegas (Nevada has no recycling laws either) it just about made me break out in hives to throw all the jars, cans, plastic bottles in the regular garbage.

Nothing is worse for the land and watershed than all this reusable garbage and goods.
Ok...so I recycle for reuse house goods/clothing/no longer wanted items. I garage sale and hold garage sales. I recycle cans/2-liter bottles/cardboard/newspapers etc. Some for $$, some just for the sake of saving the environment. This is my personal choice and I don't believe in legislating it, demanding it or forcing others to do it.

My question (finally, they say..hahaha) is this: Are there places in SW Montana (Hamilton area) where I can deliver these items for reuse/recycle myself to help the needy, to save space in landfills for biodegradable garbage and to keep my own space decluttered on a regular basis???

This is one habit from California I would like to bring with me. Oh, and by the way, even though I don't smoke, I would NEVER ask a neighbor to put out a cigarette on their own property!!! In my house, yes, because I have asthma. California is too nuts on this issue with all it's bans. Now they are trying to pass a "NO-SPANKING" law for under-3's...ever tried to reason with a toddler???? NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2007, 02:03 PM

149 posts, read 578,979 times
Political correctness is already destroying California, esp. the SF Bay Area where I live.
PC, and the rewriting of history just galls me. What happened, happened, and I don't think people today should have to "pay" for what others did generations ago!
Get a life, live in the now and just propose to do better by people in the future.

Last edited by fbcobrn; 01-28-2007 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: subject unclear, forgot to quote

Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 AM

4 posts, read 14,132 times
[quote=JP_CT;215088]Wow!

Check out Reed Point, MT Lots of us from California, but live here because it is quiet, and "Civilization is an Hour away" (walmart, etc) right on Yellowstone River. Beautiful.. have property, concidering moving closer to family, but lots around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana