Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 11:54 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times

Advertisements

From Plains to Missoula on 200 to 93 takes 1 hour 20 minutes in fair weather (77 miles); from Plains via St. Regis (on 135) to Missoula is actually 1 hr 35 minutes/102 miles, but it is freeway driving from St. Regis to Missoula, usually less strenuous. I can't tell you how long it might take in bad weather--we've been crawling along 200 to Ravalli (93) at night in a rain storm, hardly any visibility, and it probably took us an additional hour. I can't even predict how long that might take in winter (we're usually in the area during the summer, for now). But you won't have to cross any mountain passes on either route, which is a huge advantage. But let's face it, most two-lane roads in the NW can be challenging in winter!

Have you considered Spokane, WA as your husband's airport? You can find secluded properties right outside nice, small towns within one hour's drive in the Coeur d'Alene area in Idaho, all the way up to Bayview. I particularly like Spirit Lake. When we looked for properties in Idaho and Montana 10+ years ago, there were more properties available in North Idaho, and generally priced lower. That is how we ended up on the Idaho side of the border. If that is still the case, with a changing market, I wouldn't know, but a visit to Realtor.com, with a side trip to Google Maps, can probably answer that question.

A 2,338 sq ft home in Spirit Lake on 25 acres, $399K:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...171356&view=qv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 11:02 PM

30 posts, read 47,706 times
Thanks Clark Fork Fantast, I appreciate all of this info. Our friends who live in the Bitterroot Valley, and formerly Washington, told us it's difficult to drive to the airport in Spokane when the hwy in Idaho closes.

Thanks for letting me know those commute times.

We like 2 homes in Swan Valley and are looking at Hwy 83 to Kalispell airport.
Thank you for the link to the Spirit Lake home. Nice treed lot, affordable too. Thanks again.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:09 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtMother View Post
Thanks Clark Fork Fantast, I appreciate all of this info. Our friends who live in the Bitterroot Valley, and formerly Washington, told us it's difficult to drive to the airport in Spokane when the hwy in Idaho closes.

Thanks for letting me know those commute times.

We like 2 homes in Swan Valley and are looking at Hwy 83 to Kalispell airport.
Thank you for the link to the Spirit Lake home. Nice treed lot, affordable too. Thanks again.
I assume that is from the Bitterroot Valley. Coeur d'Alene, Post Falls, Spirit Lake and other ID towns in that region are very close to Spokane, so you'd probably have to be east of CdA before a highway closure would become a problem.

Good luck with the two homes in Swan Valley!

Old 02-14-2019, 02:34 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,773 times
Quote:
Thank you NW Crow and Clark Fork Fantast for this much needed info and advice.

The commute from Sanders County area to Missoula sounds long/potentially dangerous. About how long in bad weather from Plains to Missoula using both of those above mentioned routes?

There's not alot on the market. What is there has been sitting for sale for years. I don't want to inherit someone else's problem. Especially given my husband's possible relocation to another airport at some point.
I want to jump in here and just explain a bit about high end real estate in MT. Not many Montanans can afford the house you are looking at. Unless their family has money, most Montanans earn less than 150k a year in household income. So a "nice" house in MT is in the 300k to 400k price range. Most people here purchase a first home in the 100k to 200k range, and then use the down payment to purchase the 300k to 400k house. Builders here price their homes in the 250k to 400k range for this reason.

That being said, high dollar homes will sit on the market for years, looking for the right buyer. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the house, it is just the reality that for the most part, out of staters are the only people shopping in that price range. The only high paying jobs in MT are in the medical fields, unless you come from a wealthy family. I know attorneys that earn less than 120k a year, who have their own practice. The small business owners who do well, normally have to live where they work.

The only trendy places in MT are around Kalispell and Whitefish, Missoula, and Bozeman. In those areas you have lots of wealthy people from other states that purchase second homes. Those areas can support high real estate prices. But, just going an hour away, that dries up.

Meth isn't a problem like what you have experienced in WA. We have very few armed robberies, and theft is confined mostly to the center of the towns. We have never had an issue, but we do have large dogs so I guess that helps. If you get caught on a farm at night here, you are very likely to be shot. The meth addicts know this.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:32 PM

30 posts, read 47,706 times
Ericsvibe, I want to thank you for compiling this info. It's what I needed to hear.

Is Swan valley/Condon too isolated for a safe weekly commute to Kalispell or Missoula airports ? The area high school is located in Seeley Lake and I assume students have a difficult winter commute to school using highway 83?
It is a risk buying in MT because of our probable need for resale.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:17 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,184 times
Speaking of meth ... wouldn't be surprised if the latest Valley murder wasn't related ... https://flatheadbeacon.com/2019/02/1...hooting-coram/

Old 02-19-2019, 01:29 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,773 times
Quote:
Ericsvibe, I want to thank you for compiling this info. It's what I needed to hear.

Is Swan valley/Condon too isolated for a safe weekly commute to Kalispell or Missoula airports ? The area high school is located in Seeley Lake and I assume students have a difficult winter commute to school using highway 83?

I have a co-worker whose mother inherited a very large working ranch. His mothers portion of the ranch(it was split 6 ways) was about 900 acres. Her portion didn't have any buildings, but it did have a creek running through it. It sat on the market for 3 years, until she finally hired a real estate broker that specialized in marketing out of state. They advertised in several large cities, and found an out of state buyer that paid full price, within a couple of months. So yes it could be more difficult to sell locally, but if you get the right person, you can sell it. It's funny because the person that purchased that property is a pilot and wanted the room to add their own private landing strip.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:48 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
Holy crap prices went up since i left!! I can get 400 acres or more and a nice home with a pond or creek here for less!!

As can I. Wow!

Old 03-25-2019, 06:52 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,758 times
Quote:

I'd rather fly out of Missoula than Kalispell. More choices, tower that's manned - lots of reasons. Not a problem getting my kids from home to Big Fork for h.s. or to Seeley Lake - 83 is plowed. Dirt and gravel roads feeding it, not so much

Last edited by volosong; 03-30-2019 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: fixed close quote hypertag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana