U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 03:14 AM

156 posts, read 94,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I do not agree that the entire HiLine is undesirable.

But there definitely are places that are wide open to the elements & get nasty winter weather.

I do agree that Havre & Cut Bank & also Browning are not towns I would chose to live in. But what about Fort Peck or Fort Benton? Plus there are much smaller towns along & near Highway 2 that have a good sense of community & wonderful people as residents.

I would not dismiss the entire route.
Show me a town along highway 2 that is desirable and I'll show you a picture of hell having froze over. All jokes aside: People are subjective. Some people love it up there, some people don't.

I personally don't love it, but I didn't hate it either. The quiet solitude was relaxing. But to be brutally honest, everything from Browning to the North Dakota border is going to be railroad economy, former glory, cold and windy, treeless, and extremely depressed.

Move south along I15 and you can run into some sweet little gems such as; Choteau, Fairfield, and Conrad.
Move west past Glacier NP and you see touristy and scenic villas such as Columbia Falls, Whitefish, and Kalispell.
Move north and Canada beckons with its own brand of beauty.

Fort Peck and Fort Benton? Not any different from Cut Bank or Havre, when it comes to the general look and feel of the towns.

Yes the people are friendly, the pace is slow, and the country is undisputably Montana; but, all these towns are really identical, and as such, really an acquired taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 10:33 AM

347 posts, read 334,391 times
I'm going to address some of the recent comments left here. I think Fort Benton is a charming, pretty little town. That said, I do not consider it a hi-line town. It's 70 miles from U.S. route 2. It's closer to Great Falls (40 miles) than it is to the hi-line. One commonality between Fort Benton and hi-line towns is that Fort Benton has had to deal with the challenges of an aging and declining population. Still, I think it could be advantageous to live there. You have the small town charm while you're close to Great Falls for more amenities.

I've never been to Fort Peck. The reservoir there is popular. I hear the theater there is pretty good too. That said, it's still in Northeast Montana, which is a very desolate and remote place. If you like that, great. I like it to an extent, but to me that area is too desolate and remote for me. But there are people who like that characteristic so good for them. It's just not for me.

Shelby is another boring and depressing hi-line town in decline. Like Cut Bank, when Shelby is compared to Havre, Havre is a metropolis. The only advantages of Shelby that I can think of is that it is right on the interstate (makes trips to Great Falls and Canada a little shorter and easier) and it has a Shopko (for now. That company has filed bankruptcy).

Last edited by Antonio Montana; 02-24-2019 at 10:42 AM..

Old 02-24-2019, 03:20 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,964,996 times
I grew up in Montana understanding the northern tier was the HiLine. It was the entire region served by the Great Northern & later Hwy 2.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:04 AM

16 posts, read 23,237 times
Smile Cut Bank has it!

Gosh, after reading these negative comments about Cut Bank, I just have to respond.

CB is the only city I'd want to live in if I moved to Montana and the Hi-Line (no other place up there is large enough or even remotely acceptable (except Havre, and that's maybe just to visit).

CB is diverse, with many amenities of all kinds, many definitely optimistic Cut Bankers, and great potential to grow. Yes, there's been a notable decline in the Hi-Line region, but Cut Bank has stabilized and is gradually turning itself around. Something's always in the works, with lots more to come.

My city is doing okay, and has a bright future. I❤️CB

Last edited by ilovecb; 02-26-2019 at 03:25 AM..

Old 03-01-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecb View Post
Gosh, after reading these negative comments about Cut Bank, I just have to respond.

CB is the only city I'd want to live in if I moved to Montana and the Hi-Line (no other place up there is large enough or even remotely acceptable (except Havre, and that's maybe just to visit).

CB is diverse, with many amenities of all kinds, many definitely optimistic Cut Bankers, and great potential to grow. Yes, there's been a notable decline in the Hi-Line region, but Cut Bank has stabilized and is gradually turning itself around. Something's always in the works, with lots more to come.

My city is doing okay, and has a bright future. I❤️CB

OK, I have to ask some questions. What are these "many amenities of all kinds" that one can find in Cut Bank? Why is there "great potential to grow"? What makes you think Cut Bank has a "bright future"?

Old 03-03-2019, 01:06 AM

16 posts, read 23,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
OK, I have to ask some questions. What are these "many amenities of all kinds" that one can find in Cut Bank? Why is there "great potential to grow"? What makes you think Cut Bank has a "bright future"?
HI!

Google Cut Bank Pioneer Press (newspaper) and/or Cut Bank Chamber of Commerce for some further info on some of the "many amenities of all kinds." Cut Bank serves as the shopping mecca/center for a large region in North Central Montana, has an International Airport, is developing an impressive walking/biking trail system, newer brewery and grocery store, etc. CB has the basic essentials, and extra amenities are increasing, with a few diverse industries and services moving in. Check Pioneer Press articles from the past weeks and months for some examples. CB's overall "can-do" attitude, its facilities and businesses, and its closeness to the Blackfeet Native American reservation and the Hutterite colonies - to me, that equals a "great potential to grow" with a "bright future."

Sorry, I don't mean to sound arrogant; I just love my hometown.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:42 AM

9,523 posts, read 7,779,851 times
We frequently stop in Cut Bank on our way to and from the Glacier/Waterton Hamfest. There is a huge grocery store with easy access and egress, with lots of parking space, for a 32 foot RV towing a Jeep.
However, the "Truck Route" needs to be repaved, badly! It also needs traffic lights at each end; the angle of return to U.S. 2 makes seeing oncoming traffic a challenge. I often stay on Hwy. 2 because the truck route scrambles the contents of the RV!

Cut Bank is one of the few towns that has a public free RV dump station (Donations are gladly accepted. I am glad to drop a fiver in the box.)

Old 03-03-2019, 08:06 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,764,575 times
Quote:
HI!

Google Cut Bank Pioneer Press (newspaper) and/or Cut Bank Chamber of Commerce for some further info on some of the "many amenities of all kinds." Cut Bank serves as the shopping mecca/center for a large region in North Central Montana, has an International Airport, is developing an impressive walking/biking trail system, newer brewery and grocery store, etc. CB has the basic essentials, and extra amenities are increasing, with a few diverse industries and services moving in. Check Pioneer Press articles from the past weeks and months for some examples. CB's overall "can-do" attitude, its facilities and businesses, and its closeness to the Blackfeet Native American reservation and the Hutterite colonies - to me, that equals a "great potential to grow" with a "bright future."

Nothing to apologize for. I've passed through Cut Bank several years ago, not there long enough to form an opinion about the place, but I do love most of the small towns in Montana, no matter where that are in the state.
Each has its own unique flavor, but the one common denominator is the people. Most are really great folks, most that live there have deep roots, there is a real sense of community and a love for where they live.

Good to see the same thing in Cut Bank.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
HI!

I agree with the MTsilvertip. You have nothing to apologize for and I don't think you sound arrogant. I won't debate the merits of Cut Bank with. It really depends on the person, what stage of life he or she is in etc. if he or she will like Cut Bank or pretty much any other place in the state, country, or world for that matter. Although I've been pretty harsh towards hi-line towns in this thread, I want to emphasize that I deeply appreciate the humble, friendly, non-pretentious and helpful demeanor of so many of the people there. It's a refreshing contrast to the snobby and pretentious attitudes of so many people (Whitefish is the worst) in the more populated, hip, and trendy areas of Montana.

Due to so many issues on the blackfeet reservation (and other reservations), such as crime, drugs, and broken families, I can't agree with you that among the positive features of Cut Bank, being close to the reservation is one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana