U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:16 PM

30 posts, read 18,402 times

Advertisements

Looking for a list of winter clothing/outerwear/footwear necessities for MT winters. Stuff one would need outside working around their house, barn, driving, running errands. It doesn't get that cold where I live now. We can get by with layers like gortex, fleece, at most a down jacket. No hats, gloves, long underwear, wool socks needed for everyday life here. No heavy parka type coat either. I'd appreciate a list of what's necessary for daily living, working outside around the house, barn and driving into town in really cold weather. I appreciated the winter driving vehicle kit forum thread here. Now looking for the clothing necessities. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 07:29 PM

9,517 posts, read 7,739,295 times
well, let's see...
for footwear, a pair of 5 buckle "arctic overshoes" to fit over your shoes or boots.
Or
a pair of felt boot lined overshoes. Mine are Herman Survivors.

When plowing snow on my ATV, I wear the 5-buckle arctics over my RedWing boots.
I haven't worn any kind of "long underwear" for years.
I do have a pair of Carhartt insulated bib overalls I wear when snow plowing if it is REAL cold (below zero).
I have a Walls Blizzard Pruf waist length insulated jacket, with hood, that I wear when it is 25 degrees or lower, and when plowing snow.
When spending lots of time outdoors in cold weather, I wear leather mittens with knitted wool liners. They are much warmer than gloves. However, I do have a pair of C.E. Schmidt ski gloves that I wear when finger dexterity is more important than warmth.
For a hat to protect my bald head, I just wear a typical ball cap. I buy them undecorated at Hobby Lobby for less than $3 each, in various colors. If my ears get cold, I put my hood up.
I wear Wigwam over-the-calf socks year round. I have some heavy wool socks, but haven't worn them for years.
I buy all my winter wear at Tractor Supply Co. or Big R Ranch Stores. I want function, not fashion!

You can also find some really good cold/foul weather gear at military surplus stores.
Good luck.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:44 AM

4,612 posts, read 3,932,985 times
You can't go wrong with Carhartt products for ranch chores, durable & washable. Otherwise it will depend on how severe the conditions are for the area of MT you live in. I usually only need wear something like Cabellas snowrunners boots most days on ranch. They are basically a waterproof insulated hiker. But they would not suffice for a full day of extreme cold temps. If you live where the North wind blows, you definitely need windproof layers including windproof hats-- maybe even mad bomber hats.
Regardless, always leave a big warm coat, boots, hat & gloves and even down sleeping bag or very heavy wool blanket in your vehicle all winter....so if you slide off the road your chances of not freezing to death improve.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:45 PM

Thank you both. Exactly what I needed. I don't need the fancy brands, and want real working gear. I don't ski or own Patagonia type outerwear. I need to outfit my family to plow a long driveway and hike out to the barn, bring in firewood. Finger dexterity is important, can't shift an ATV once fingers and toes go numb. Any recommendations for the ATV/plow attachment combo? Are you plugging in your non diesel vehicles at night? Blanketing and bringing in horses at night? We can leave ours out here, rarely blanketing. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:13 PM

My neighbor has 3 horses and 2 mules. They are never blanketed and never kept inside. In fact, all he has is a lean-to shed for them to shelter in if they want to.
When we had two horses, we had the same situation. I built 2 stalls, with feed buckets for alfalfa cubes and hay. I also had covered hay storage. Our horses never had blankets. If they wanted to get out of the wind, they could go into the stalls.
My ATVs are Kawasaki Brute Force 750i. Both have a winch. One has a 52 inch wide Warn straight plow ( my son is using it), the other has a 60 inch DOT tapered plow (I'm using it). I am quite happy with them. The measured distance from my house to the mailbox is 1/10th of a mile. My mittens work fine on the controls of the Kawasakis.

Another neighbor has a CanAm side by side UTV with cab and heat and a 72 inch snow plow. It is nice, but I would rather have a snow plow on my Jeep! Those CanAms are big and pricey.

Speaking of my Jeep, I plan to get a block heater for it, even though it is kinda late in the season now. It will be nice to be able to start easier, and get rid of frost easily. I don't have a block heater on the PT Cruiser, but it is always in the garage.
I do have a block heater on the classic '66 Chevelle (but we don't drive it much in the winter), and on the Dodge Cummins.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:53 PM

Redraven, thank you for good information. My husband's Duramax doesn't have a block heater. How hard would it be to put one on?

Old 02-25-2019, 06:29 AM

Installing a block heater is not something a person who doesn't have many tools and little or no mechanical aptitude should do.
For someone who has wrenches, hammers, punches, and drain pans, it isn't all that difficult. However, this old retired mechanic ain't gonna do it! I will gladly pay someone to install it for me.
First, buy the heater and read the instructions.
Then, drain the coolant from the engine block.
Remove the "freeze plug" that the instructions say to. Remember, there are two different types of "freeze plugs". the removal procedure is different for each. Be very careful to not drop the plug into the water jacket.
Clean the hole, being sure to remove all burrs and rust.
Install the heater with the heating element pointing in the proper direction, as stated in the instructions for your engine. Tighten the retaining screw as recommended in the instructions.
Install the power cord. Route it away from moving parts and hot parts, secure it with zip ties, and route it around the radiator and out through the grill.
Refill the cooling system, being careful to avoid air pockets. Some modern engines have special procedures to comply with when refilling to remove such pockets.
IMO, it is a good idea to have a timer to plug the heater into. Set it to turn on an hour or two before you plan to use the truck. There is no need to have that heater powered for up to ten hours when only an hour or two is all that is needed.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:57 PM

Redraven, thank you. This is great, I'll send it to his phone. He does all his own work on our boat motors and motorcycles, quads. Most of our vehicle work too.
He thinks he's done stuff more complicated than that. He says the hardest part will be accessing the freeze plug. It's tight in the engine compartment. Thank you again.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:44 AM

111 posts, read 82,740 times
Carhartt is made in China for those who care about that (I do and I don't buy anything from there if I can at all avoid it).

The densest jacket I ever needed was an old GI Parka (Extreme Cold Weather) I picked up at a Goodwill in Montana for $20.

Most of the time I wore something bought from Filson. It's pricey, but it will be hand me downs to your grandkids. And likely to their grandkids. And it's hand made in the US by Americans.

It depends on what you are doing. If you are out in the cold working day in and day out you need more than if you're just out normally.

I walked a mile to work and a mile home. I only needed that Parka I wrote about above maybe 2-3 days all winter. Most of the time I wore long-johns and a few layers and used made in Montana fur lined deerskin gloves.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:47 PM

4,612 posts, read 3,932,985 times
I imagine my mega heavy insulated Carhartt chore coat was made in US, as it must be 28 years old!! Here's what Carhartt says today about its clothing:

"Made In The USA. Carhartt. Made in America by the American worker for the American worker, because it matters. At Carhartt, we've been producing some of the world's finest workwear since 1889, and we are proud to offer some of the best American-made clothing available." Plus they are union made for those of us that care about such things.

Ionly break out the big coat for really cold days. I do recommend buying tall sizes in arctic weight wintercoats so they are a bit longer. For extreme I wear insulated bibs over my standard cold weather wear & my mega coat over that...with a furlined mad bomber hat on top...this would my 25 below with wind type outfit. Ultra fashionable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana