Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 01:21 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,187 times

Advertisements

So as a long time lurker/offhand poster for Montana forums, I will admit that my wife have been considering moving back home to Billings. Our plans have hit snags over the past 2 years. My income will take a severe hit (over 50%) if we move back. She’s going back to school for a masters in nursing and could easily get a job or teaching position once she graduates. We have some solutions for the income issue but now have a new snag.

My 3 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Her growth has been stunted because her body hasn’t been absorbing nutrients. We need both a pediatric endocrinologist and a pediatric GI doc to treat her growth and Celiac properly. I checked some medical practice websites and found 3 pediatric endocrinologists in Montana. Does anyone know if they are on a multi-city rotation or staying put? Adult endocrinologists will typically not medically treat stunted growth cases in children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 07:46 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
David Johnson, endocrinologist at Billings Clinic. Don't know how he is on pediatric but in my observation as a thyroid patient, he's better than average on general knowledge (I speak as one who reads extensively in the literature, and has the background to digest it), appropriate testing others might not think of, taking his time with patients, and willingness to look beyond "by the book". (Tho we've had some arguments about suitable treatment. ) I would call his office and ask for a recommendation. He seems to be there full time, but is very busy.

Would not recommend the young female endo there; still very green, and full of education but empty of experience. In my observation with that type, if the ailment ain't behaving strictly by the book, it's not going to get properly treated.

Generally speaking, a good first question when vetting an endo is whether they consider prescribing natural desiccated thyroid instead of synthetic. If they won't, they're purely by-the-book, and I move on, because way too many cases (including me) do not fit the 'expected' parameters.

===

I know of a couple cases of celiac with some sort of generalized autoimmune disease (one as a juvenile), that effected a cure by moving to a 100% beef diet, including all the fat. Obviously a little kid needs more varied nutrients, but if the celiac-specific diet isn't really working, might be worth trying as a short-term base, then adding other foods back one at a time. I would absolutely get all the soy and flaxseed out of the diet.

If you haven't checked pituitary, thyroid and parathyroid function, I would do that. Celiac may not be the root problem.

Also, I'd pay attention to what the kid wants or refuses to eat ... often there's a good biological reason for that, being processed through instinct. (Our noses are far more sensitive and discerning than we give them credit for, especially when it comes to self-medicating via diet, and little kids haven't yet learned to ignore 'em. The self-medicating is not always to long-term benefit, but it can ID a problem.)

And good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: