U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2019, 01:32 PM

79 posts, read 22,028 times

Advertisements

For a permanent move, how would housing or appts be for west Yellowstone, MT? Single, no family and would have a job before move...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 09:00 PM

3,650 posts, read 3,941,784 times
Local newspaper had no rentals in latest issue. https://www.wyellowstonestar.com/classifieds

I'd contact a few realtors and ask for feedback.

A couple of temp places on craigslist.

Short-term rentals may cause the market to be tight, especially in good weather.

May need to look hard and probably on the ground. Looking for signs, posting on bulletin boards. But find out what the realtors say.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:04 AM

4,544 posts, read 4,375,367 times
Spend a few minutes here:

http://www.city-data.com/city/West-Y...e-Montana.html

West Yellowstone is a very small town that caters to the National Park visitor. Very seasonal. Summer is busy and less so around the holidays in winter. Otherwise, not much happening. Wages are low. If you're looking to hook up with a local girl and eventually start a family, the odds are not good for you. Beautiful area however. Few better.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-15-2019, 11:15 AM

3,650 posts, read 3,941,784 times
You better be tolerant of snow or like snow. Gets an average of 160 inches per year. Most occurring over 5 months but some comes in another 3 months, making 8 that see it. Typical to have 2-3 feet of it on the ground most of the winter.

Close to 60 days with lows below zero. Over 60 days where it never gets above 32.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:23 PM

4,612 posts, read 3,932,985 times
I would ask your employer for assistance finding a rental.

Plan to buy a snowmobile. All winter the locals drive theirs on the snowpacked city streets as one would an ATV in other small towns during summer. I believe it is legal to do so on all the streets, but I would check with City Hall to be certain.

If you embrace winter activities, you will be fine. It is overcast the entire winter & either snowing or getting ready to snow. For most people who live across Southern Montana winters have more bright sunny days than any other kind. West is cold & snowy & gray for more months than it is not.

Also West has a resort tax -sales tax.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
You better be tolerant of snow or like snow. Gets an average of 160 inches per year. Most occurring over 5 months but some comes in another 3 months, making 8 that see it. Typical to have 2-3 feet of it on the ground most of the winter.

Close to 60 days with lows below zero. Over 60 days where it never gets above 32.
Grew ur in CT, spent a year in a Norway as an exchange student and have gon backpacking in multiple ice storms..I love winter weather, peeps in Those places thought I was kinda a freak when it came the weather I like

Old 05-18-2019, 09:28 AM

7,631 posts, read 8,907,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckem View Post
For a permanent move, how would housing or appts be for west Yellowstone, MT? Single, no family and would have a job before move...
Have you visited West Yellowstone before? What season? Is this a situation of visiting a place and "falling in love with it" while you were on vacation? The reason I ask (and I don't mean this to sound snide or sarcastic) is after growing up in Montana, I saw a lot of people move there for that reason. They fell in love with it on vacation and felt so relaxed. They didn't consider they were relaxed because they were on vacation. In a few months they realized they still needed a job that paid a decent salary (cost of living in much of Montana is high and you can't eat scenery), people still work and don't do outdoor activities all the live long day every day, and you still will (probably) want to make new friends which is not always easy in a new town. They also find that the touristy activities get old quickly. Any problems you have in your hometown will also probably follow you. I'm not sure where you are coming from but be aware the politics may be vastly different.

I'm not saying this to tell you not to move to Montana. I'm not saying this to be negative in any way. I haven't lived in West Yellowstone and have no opinion of the town. I've only seen it as a tourist. You also have a job lined up so you're doing better in that regard. I say this only because I've seen numerous people come to Montana with stars in their eyes and leave disappointed and broke.

You're taking a good first step doing your homework now.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Have you visited West Yellowstone before? What season? Is this a situation of visiting a place and "falling in love with it" while you were on vacation? The reason I ask (and I don't mean this to sound snide or sarcastic) is after growing up in Montana, I saw a lot of people move there for that reason. They fell in love with it on vacation and felt so relaxed. They didn't consider they were relaxed because they were on vacation. In a few months they realized they still needed a job that paid a decent salary (cost of living in much of Montana is high and you can't eat scenery), people still work and don't do outdoor activities all the live long day every day, and you still will (probably) want to make new friends which is not always easy in a new town. They also find that the touristy activities get old quickly. Any problems you have in your hometown will also probably follow you. I'm not sure where you are coming from but be aware the politics may be vastly different.

I'm not saying this to tell you not to move to Montana. I'm not saying this to be negative in any way. I haven't lived in West Yellowstone and have no opinion of the town. I've only seen it as a tourist. You also have a job lined up so you're doing better in that regard. I say this only because I've seen numerous people come to Montana with stars in their eyes and leave disappointed and broke.

You're taking a good first step doing your homework now.
Ive done a 9 day trip in Yellowstone park, 3 days in those no utilities huts, and the rest in the backcountry(alone), a 10 day trip in glacier national park(guided) in the backcountry, and a 6 day trip in the wind river range in Wyoming(alone), and a weeklong business trip in Kalispell....the lack of places to rent or the cost of buying in West Yellowstone is one reason to ask about possibilities and the possibility of a commute...

Old 05-18-2019, 11:19 PM

7,631 posts, read 8,907,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckem View Post
Ive done a 9 day trip in Yellowstone park, 3 days in those no utilities huts, and the rest in the backcountry(alone), a 10 day trip in glacier national park(guided) in the backcountry, and a 6 day trip in the wind river range in Wyoming(alone), and a weeklong business trip in Kalispell....the lack of places to rent or the cost of buying in West Yellowstone is one reason to ask about possibilities and the possibility of a commute...
Not really the point of what I'm saying and you really only answered half of the first question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or