Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,160,575 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever do any Geocaching?

I'm thinking about planting some new caches this spring in the back-country and around town. (Bozeman and Gallatin County area)

If you've never heard of Geocaching or have never done it, its really fun. You use your GPS to find "treasure". Google geocaching and go to the website, there you can find coordinates of caches, then you just go and find em!

One in particular I'd like to plant has a map to find the "real" cache with the logbook for people to share their thoughts and leave them for the next treasure-hunter. (and maybe some goodies for the kids!)

Have fun,

-TW-

Last edited by Timberwolf232; 04-16-2008 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 11:43 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,487,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Anyone ever do any Geocaching?

I'm thinking about planting some new caches this spring in the back-country and around town. (Bozeman and Gallatin County area)

If you've never heard of Geocaching or have never done it, its really fun. You use your GPS to find "treasure". Google geocaching and go to the website, there you can find coordinates of caches, then you just go and find em!

One in particular I'd like to plant has a logbook for people to share their thoughts and leave them for the next treasure-hunter. (and maybe some goodies for the kids!)

Have fun,

-TW-
Done Geocaching here in Arkansas, I am going to have to get back into doing it when thing warm up, It is fun...

Old 04-16-2008, 01:08 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,453,888 times
Geocaching = great sport!
most of what my cache finds will be around Butte Anaconda to Georgetown lake. primarly in Arizona but spend July in Anaconda area. but you never know as I am currently over in Washington and will spend some time looking around the tri-cities.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:04 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,741,164 times
How is geocaching different than littering? I assume that the trinkets are placed in nonbiodegradable boxes and left on the public lands for people who choose to find them. I see how it can be fun for those who choose to engage in it, but also see how it can look like litter and junk for those that are not part of the sport.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:11 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,160,575 times
The trick is to hide the cache well out of site, if it was right out in the open it would be too easy! I've never stumbled onto a cache that I wasn't looking for.

If you like treasure hunting geocaching is a lot of fun.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:42 PM

139 posts, read 471,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmagone View Post
How is geocaching different than littering? I assume that the trinkets are placed in nonbiodegradable boxes and left on the public lands for people who choose to find them. I see how it can be fun for those who choose to engage in it, but also see how it can look like litter and junk for those that are not part of the sport.
It isn't littering....each cache is maintained and isn't left in the area as discarded material. To lable a cache as litter is like labelling a fence post as litter. Interesting fact about Montana; you can still find real caches here. Hunters, hikers and general outdoorsmen can still find them strung up in trees and hidden in rockslides. They are a survival tool, remnant from the trapper's era, and the rules are the same as geocaching...."Take what you need and leave what you don't need."

This is a great way to get people out of doors and into the wilds that Montana has to offer. I particularly like caches that are in areas of historical importance. It isn't only a high-tech treasure hunt, but can also be very educational if done right.

The weather is warming...so all you cachers out there; Happy Caching.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 AM

504 posts, read 2,170,781 times
I've been geocaching with my kids for quite a few years now. IMO, it's an excellent family activity (a great boredom buster too). They learn to use a GPS, read directions, spend quality time with family, and discover the outdoors. My kids LOVE it! I hope to do a lot of geocaching this summer when we take a trip out West (which will include Montana). I have a geocache near our house that I need to bring on line. I placed it right before the snow flew last fall, so didn't see much reason to post it (it was covered be feet of snow).

As for littering, each cache is labeled and it'd be pretty easy to track down who put it there. As mentioned, each cache is maintained by a person or group and if they leave the area they can either let someone else take over, or remove the cache.

I can tell you I've been led to places that I would have never known about through this "sport". It is WAY cool!

Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

Old 02-18-2009, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 25,052 times
I don't know how I found the site. www.geocaching.com but a couple of days later I bought my first GPS and started located caches. I've found twelve so far. Including travel bugs and a geocoin. I even created my first geocache which is currently under review, after which it will be posted.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:16 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,453,888 times
Congrats to the addiction!
I am not finding your screen name over there though.
If you are not already I would suggest going premium being able to do queries and downloading gpx files and having access to subscriber caches is a nice addition.
If you have not found it yet the forum will really help you out as well.
Groundspeak Forums

Old 03-05-2009, 04:15 PM

5 posts, read 25,052 times
My screen name there is cbroker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: