U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:46 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,448,772 times

Advertisements

Flour,rice or cooking oil? I noticed Costco in Kalispell was out of flour today and had very litte rice on the shelves and no bannanas for 8 weeks now. I also noticed a very low supply of rice and flour at our local stores tonight, any ideas? I did here some blurb on the news but didn't really pay attention until tonight when I went to get something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 09:24 PM

148 posts, read 493,321 times
Default I was just reading this before I saw your post!

Sam's Club, Costco limit rice purchases as prices rise - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 04-23-2008, 09:52 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Flour,rice or cooking oil? I noticed Costco in Kalispell was out of flour today and had very litte rice on the shelves and no bannanas for 8 weeks now. I also noticed a very low supply of rice and flour at our local stores tonight, any ideas? I did here some blurb on the news but didn't really pay attention until tonight when I went to get something.

Better tell the world to panic!! maybe we can drive up everything!, not just gas.. We'll show em they need us and maybe then they will vote our way.

Sincerely,
The Democrats and the Republicans

All sarcasm aside, got fresh bananas today and didn't pay attention to flour and oil.. there weren't any crowded isles at the store either.

Might be a way to make up for some fuel costs, and people do have a tendency to pass on the burden to the next in line, actually this could make a good learning experience for some... what do yall think?

Old 04-23-2008, 10:00 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,713,985 times
I haven't been able to find avocadoes that last couple times I was at Walmart. Mexican food just isn't the same without it.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:19 PM

1,436 posts, read 2,917,196 times
Oh ya, this current economic situation, as the dollar continues to weaken further, is going to be a big learning experience for a lot of people, especially those who live paycheck to paycheck or those that do not have the reserves to offset the added expense of day to day goods.

I'm wondering how long it is going to be before inflation rears it's ugly head completely. It can't be too far off. As expenses increase and everyone finds ways to cut costs and does so, it can't be too long before there is absolutely nothing else to cut to keep up with the increasing costs of everything. That's pretty messed up when it gets to the point where you can't afford to "live" and driving to work anymore so you can "live"...

Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,713,985 times
Well I just cleaned out my freezer, its the size of a side by side frig freezer but all freezer, should I start stocking up for the time of trouble?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:05 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,448,772 times
We went out last night and bought 50 lbs of flour, a case of cooking oil and some rice and sugar. The only reason I did this was my experiences in the south. Every time there was a hint of snow or a severe weather alert you couldn't buy,beg or steal milk,eggs,bread,sugar etc at the stores because there was a panic run on these items.
Since the news story broke last night on the mainstream news channels I'm figuring they'll milk it for all it's worth creating panic buying which will cause a longer term shortage.

Do I think that it's a global shortage and a serious food famine is in the works here? No, not yet. I'd hope our government would suspend all grain shipments to foriegn countries before they'd let us starve but I may be just wishing.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:52 AM

It has absolutely nothing to do with global shortages. Simply the price of majority of the commodities have been hitting new highs. Importers and the big boy are not stocking up on any of it at these prices as they usually do when in need.

So the question is, if available and while the prices creep up, when do you stock up on day to day products ?!! Is it now or do you wait until "tomorrow" and hope the prices starts backing off ?!!

Hum, I guess everyone is in the stock market weather they like it or not. . It was nice to see Gold and Oil slip a bit yesterday. Maybe it's a sign the dollar is close to the bottom...

Old 04-24-2008, 09:17 AM

1,836 posts, read 4,447,423 times
Think of it as a great diet plan.

When I lived in Tennessee, just the threat of snow would close schools. And, without fail, the grocery stores were inevitably sold out of water, milk, bread, eggs and beer. And I only ever recall one time when stocking up was a good idea!

This is an interesting topic to me. Don't "panic purchases" and hoarding end up making things worse and driving prices up? What items do you think would be a would be considered a good idea to stock up on?

Why flour? What would you do with it? Make unleavened bread? As for a case of oil, would it go rancid before you used it?

Old 04-24-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Think of it as a great diet plan.

Why flour? What would you do with it? Make unleavened bread? As for a case of oil, would it go rancid before you used it?
COOKIES and CAKES and all that good stuff .

Ya, the "panic buying" just adds insult to injury to pricing when people do it. But it happens... why, because god forbid if any of us over weight idiots miss a meal or two !

I know I get cranky when my wife doesn't do any baking for a few days. Got to have my cookies and cakes on a regular schedule or else! hehe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana