Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 01:32 PM

16 posts, read 21,966 times

Advertisements

Thanks ericsvibe! I'll look into Townsend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 03:45 PM

524 posts, read 148,828 times
Default Firewood cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
Most these other post are spot on. Lincoln is pretty and I like going there but living there isn't the best idea. I was once cutting firewood near Lincoln and had a chainsaw accident and was badly injured. When I made it to their Clinic they told if I was 5 minutes later they would have een closed and I was losing blood fast enough that I would not have made it to Helena or Missoula. That right there told me it is best to live near a 24 hospital for those times you need to be at one of them.
Hi, Cody,

If you don't mind recalling a traumatic experience, I'd appreciate it if you'd describe how that chainsaw accident happened. I cut firewood for three or four years up on my Grandfather's place, a former farm with some nice hardwood stands. I was usually alone, had never touched a chainsaw till I went out there, and never had an accident. Now the trees I was felling and bucking were probably smaller than what you were working on - mine averaged 20-22 inches at chest height. I had a Stihl with a 16" bar and a Danarm with a 14" bar as a backup and for stripping. If I do make it out to the mountain West, I'd like to see about cutting some firewood for myself. Thanks.

Old 02-13-2021, 06:18 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,222,706 times
I live in Noxon. Been here 5 years now. PM me and I will answer any questions.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:09 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,222,706 times
The Bull River Clinic s basically a PA, a nurse, and a receptionist. I use them for routine stuff and check ups. The PA is great. They are actually affiliated with the hospital in Libby, but will refer to Sandpoint or Libby. I have had hospital stays at both hospitals and preferred Libby. For anything serious you are going to CDA, about an hour and a half drive, or one of three major cities - Spokane, Kalispell, or Missoula - all three are about 2 1/2 hours drive time.

I use the vet in Sandpoint, and they have been good. I have an older Shar Pei, so let's just say we are repeat customers. They have treated the dog well, and solved one health issue that had plagued my dog for three years. I think they are a little expensive, but the care has been good. We did just have a vet move into Heron, MT to open a clinic. I have not used him, so cant provide anything specific on his services.

The Hereford opened up and had pretty decent food, but it burned to the ground a month ago, but the owners plan to reopen this summer. I think that is optimistic. The Amber Bear in Heron, MT has decent food. The Noxon Mercantile has a great Burger and some other specialities, but the hours are limited to weekends. We typically go to Sandpoint, Libby, or Thompson Falls. Sandpoint has the widest variety of restaurants, and is a pretty cosmopolitan town for a 7,000 population. Minnie's in Thompson Falls tends to be our "date" restaurant, but Trout Creek also has a couple decent places to eat.

Noxon has a small grocery store in the downtown (5 buildings), in addition to the Pantry at 56 and 200. The Senior Center serves a meal once a week.

There are really no things here like bowling alleys, movie theaters, or other activity type businesses, so plan on a half hour to 45 minute drive to participate in those type of activities. Swietzer Ski resort is in Sandpoint, and just outside of Libby is another small ski resort. Lake Ponderay is a great summer draw. Thompson Falls has an active dog training club that competes in the tri state area for Rally and Agility, and provides general training if your a dog person that likes that sort of thing.

We knew what the winter and summer temps would be, but there was a lot more snow than we expected in the last few years, but this year we've had little snow in the lower elevation. February seems to be our January here. Spring and fall have a lot of mid forties to mid fifties temperatures - quite pleasant really.

Triangle pond is a great little park and swimming hole locally.

Major employers are Avista, the Noxon Public School, and the Forest Service. I brought two pensions with me, so employment was not an issue. We expected the local population would be "local" but we have found there are a ton of retirees, like myself, that have bounced around the world and had professional careers before they landed here in Noxon. Socially it has been a surprisingly good fit for us with the other move in retirees, and the true locals have been pretty open to move ins, but not as open as the retirees that moved here.

We do put a lot more miles on the vehicles than we planned. Also, you need at least one vehicle with 4WD or AWD, and spend the money on snow tires. We drive up on the fire roads in the summer, and the roads seems to have an inch or two of snow on them a lot longer than they should have after a storm.

Real estate prices have change drastically in the last year, and right now there is very few properties for sale. It is still cheaper than a lot of areas, but my guess is prices are up at least 20-30% from a year or eighteen months ago.

Even with the above, the area is absolutely gorgeous - we love it!

Old 02-13-2021, 07:56 PM

16 posts, read 21,966 times
Thanks Tuck's Dad!
We also are a vet's dream when it comes to the bills! We have English Bulldogs and a Pug.
Real estate is the worst right now. Interest rates are still low, but people are using that and the Covid for excuses to overcharge. When we first started looking 6 yrs ago for "retirement" places homes were averaging 65 sq ft which has now double or even tripled depending on the area.
We've always met accepting wonderful people everywhere we've been looking. We've finally taken enough vacations, some just driving, to see where we love it most and it's NW Montana. We even found a realtor who's willing to work for us instead of vice versa.
If I have any more questions for you, I'll be sure to PM you.
Thanks again!

Old 02-16-2021, 08:18 PM

7,346 posts, read 12,574,925 times
Hi Tuck's Dad, good to see you again! Thanks for the update. Too bad about the Hereford--hope they'll reopen this summer. We're still hoping that somebody will rebuild the Heron Depot Cafe. Good to know the Bull River Clinic is still in business, and that there's a new vet in Heron! Glad you're still happy about having made the move!

Old 10-05-2021, 09:37 PM

6 posts, read 2,620 times
Isn't that where the unibomber hid out all those years?

Old 10-05-2021, 10:00 PM

8,402 posts, read 8,622,605 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana