U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 09:22 AM

4 posts, read 17,139 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I currently live in Dayton, Ohio and I'm planning on moving to Los Angeles for work. I'm a freelance 3D digital artist mod cut. There's not enough work for me where I'm currently at. On my way, I want/need to take about a three month break to hone my skills and work on some new ideas. I want to go somewhere I've never been that's very different than where I'm at and where I'm going.

So I'm looking for somewhere in Montana that would suit me for this break. I don't know much about the state except for a little research I've done. I'm basically looking for a small-town environment, some place well-kept and clean, friendly people, and great scenery and hiking (I don't fish or hunt). Like kind a "one road" kind of place that has a diner, a movie theater, a coffee shop, etc (and an internet connection). And of course a city where I can rent a room of a house or a small apartment. It seems like these kind of places don't really exist because they get left behind and lose their quaintness and don't stay well-kept. I'm open to something small to medium sized. I'm not looking for the size of like a Great Falls or Missoula however. Helena seemed nice, but that might even be too large. I was looking at really small places like Winifred but a place like that might be too small. I was hoping someone on here may live in or have visited this kind of ideal place.

Everyone on here seems really helpful so thank you in advance. I know this idea of mine technically qualifies me as a tourist. However I'm really not into touristy things and am just looking to mesh well for a couple of months while I work, find some regular places to occupy my time, and meet some good, real people (like myself) in the process.

Ross

Last edited by scirocco22; 05-06-2008 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Please do not link your personal website within a post. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 11:59 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,161,739 times
Yeah - Cooke City, Montana would fit your bill nicely.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 AM

163 posts, read 502,051 times
Take a look at the Bitterroot Valley. The towns of Stevensville, Corvallis, Hamilton or Darby.

The valley is a long narrow valley in Western MT surrounded on three sides by National forest. The Bitteroot Mts on the west rise up about up 9000' with hiking canyons about every 5-10 miles. The Sapphire Mts on the east rise up about 7000'. To the west there is the Bitterroot Selway Wilderness area, the largest in the lower 48.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:45 AM

I was looking through the local Hamilton newspaper, the Ravalli Republic, and found a 48 page magazine named Vista http://www.ravallirepublic.com/bonus/Vista/ (broken link) that provided a complete list of things to do this summer in the Bitterroot.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:45 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,815,162 times
Just don't write some magazine article about how much you like the place...

Sorry to say it, but it draws the masses and ruins what made it worth writing about in the first place. There has been an onslaught of articles in outdoor mags, movies and TV lately about Montana. A few people profit from this, but it can also make it harder for people who live here too. Please keep that in mind.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 PM

4 posts, read 17,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonRM View Post
Take a look at the Bitterroot Valley. The towns of Stevensville, Corvallis, Hamilton or Darby.
All of these look great. Thanks for the advice. And no, I won't be writing any magazine articles. I'm just trying to remove distractions, focus, and get some things done before I deal with Los Angeles.

Sincere thanks.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:55 PM

65 posts, read 188,263 times
Or go north of Missoula. Polson maybe a nice fit or even Kalispell.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:32 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,161,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Baby View Post
Or go north of Missoula. Polson maybe a nice fit or even Kalispell.
It's hard to get more touristy than Kalispell / Flathead Valley area! It's beautiful there (in the summer) but awfully touristy.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:51 AM

352 posts, read 1,006,296 times
You might check out Townsend or White Sulphur Springs. Don't know about a movie theater in either place, though.

Last edited by rangerider; 05-11-2008 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 05-12-2008, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerider View Post
You might check out Townsend or White Sulphur Springs. Don't know about a movie theater in either place, though.
Worst water I ever tasted was in WSS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana