U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:55 PM

15 posts, read 57,851 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for ANY information on the town of Roundup, MT and the surrounding areas.
I've been to web pages; all promoting the area, of course.

I would like feedback from REAL people who live, work, pass thru, or know someone who has...good and bad stuff, please!

It has risen to the top of our list a few times for our possible future homesite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 09:16 AM

352 posts, read 1,004,932 times
I spent a little time there a few years ago. I really liked the people I met; there's lots nooks and crannies and a definite small town atmosphere. The cost of living is low, and so are the wages for what jobs are there. Some folks work in Billings, and some at the coal mine which seems to struggle off and on. There's a lot of open country, and a little oil field work. Beings as it's the county seat, there's a little better economy there than in a lot of small towns scattered around the Musselshell. There's still a lot of ranching going on, and that area has people that really know something about running cattle.

I imagine you've looked at the City-Data site for it's vital statistics. I would think it would be a great place to retire, or have a home based business of some sort. Most of the people known to me were struggling financially some of the time, but others seemed to do okay. I really liked the atmosphere of the town, and the county fair was really a home-town affair and done right. Greatest little fairgrounds and rodeo arena you could imagine.

At the time I was around there (about 10 years ago) there were about a half dozen businesses in town that seemed to be fairly busy at least some of the time, but overall it was pretty sleepy. However, that's the nature of small towns and why they don't appeal to everyone. I met people who worked their tails off one week and went fishing the next, and then others who had a pretty steady schedule, and one or two that had an iron in the fire all the time. I met enough people to say that depending on my circumstances I would live there. Climate is pretty agreeable and Billings is down the road an hour if you feel you have to have a dose of city life. They have a golf course there, and fishing and hunting are good. Don't know much about the schools, but I've never been around a small town that had too much problem except with keeping funded. I got my 1-12 education in a town smaller than Roundup and was amazed when I got to college - lots of kids from cities and bigger areas that really struggled with what we thought was basic. Go figure...

Keep in mind, this is from a decade ago and I was just in and out of town on a business basis for some time. I'm sure some things have changed.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:52 PM

15 posts, read 57,851 times
Default Thanks, Rangerider!

Thank you for your input on Roundup.
I take in everything I read on this site; there have been bad things said about several places in Montana, but if any of those people who are dissing the state lived in Minnesota, I think their attitudes would change dramatically!! So I don't take alot of it to heart; but your reply was great!

Would cattle ranchers have a problem with Alpacas moving in next door?
Aren't there alot of artists around, too?
If you don't mind me asking, what town do you live in now?

And again, thanks!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:53 PM

352 posts, read 1,004,932 times
My wife is from Minnesota originally, so I think I get your drift in that regard. Having spent some time out there, I can say for certain I don't think I'd do well in their fair state.

I don't think alpacas would be a problem; I have some just down the road from me. Their horses might - those long necks plumb freak the ponies out until they get used to them. Llamas work that way, too. It's either that or their scent, don't know which or if it is a combination. Keep your fences fixed and your weeds under control and most everyone will be happy.

I live about twenty miles due west-southwest of Bozeman now, and have been either here or up the Shields valley for about 30 years now. Was only briefly in the Billings/Roundup area in '98 and up the Swan in '86-'87. This area is brimming with artists of one type or another; a lot of the western part of the state is. Guess it has something to do with the scenery...

Old 05-15-2008, 12:49 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,586,702 times
Have you tried the search feature?... you can browse through several posts that have info on Round up.

Best of luck to you and your family

Old 05-15-2008, 10:55 PM

2,787 posts, read 3,662,899 times
i think its one of the prettier areas of central montana with a good location reasonably close to billings but not too close,with fairly decent realestate prices in comparison to many areas of montana.you would have to like a small town though.i would live there[and someday i might]

Old 05-22-2008, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 9,195 times
I love seeing all the people on here considering an escape from the People's Republic of Minnesota. I'm in the same boat (Bemidji area), and it's somewhat comforting to realize that it's not just me who'd like to live a slightly less taxed and regulated life...

Old 05-28-2008, 11:57 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,575,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRabbit View Post
I love seeing all the people on here considering an escape from the People's Republic of Minnesota. I'm in the same boat (Bemidji area), and it's somewhat comforting to realize that it's not just me who'd like to live a slightly less taxed and regulated life...
I have relatives in Bemidji. It used to be the epitome of laid-back Norske country... shame how things have changed. -- Are Paul Bunyan and Babe still there? I'd love to have a picture of 'em!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,174 times
Roundup sounds like a great place to move to, i hope to be checking it out soon, see how the land and area look, i hope they have a need for truck drivers, my husband and I are both truckers.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:56 AM

9,524 posts, read 7,788,872 times
Roundup is about to enter a boom-town phase. The new owners of the coal mine are really getting it going. There is currently a railroad spur being built to the mine, and I see a lot of haul truck parts on the road.
Land values are expected to jump soon, but at the moment aren't too bad. For instance, in the paper today I saw 12.6 acres near Roundup for $29,000.
One problem with the coal mine may be that the new power plant that was supposed to built near Great Falls has been reduced in size, and will be a gas fired plant instead of coal powered. What effect, if any, that has on the Roundup mine remains to be seen.
There are frequently ads in the Billings Gazette for truck drivers of various kinds.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana