U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:02 PM

737 posts, read 2,839,877 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info. It's going to be tough to make a decision. A road trip is in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 09:39 AM

15 posts, read 58,510 times
I think you mentioned you don't like wind? There's plenty of that in GF.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskylaw View Post
I think you mentioned you don't like wind? There's plenty of that in GF.
I prefer less wind I am concentrating more on the Bitterroot Valley, and Deer Lodge areas now. I thought GF might be kind of windy, since it looked a little more flat (plainy). Glad you confirmed that for me. I would rather deal with the fog of the BV than the wind, if I had the choice.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 9,409 times
Default GF / Wind

I've read that GF has higher average wind that the windy city - Chicago! Every time I've been through there your certainly had to hold your hat on good and tight! If you want a small community, how about Winnet, MT? Use to go hunting there. Sticks in my mind a gas station / post office /general store (all in one) and friendly farmers all around. That's about it! KTM

Old 01-14-2007, 02:42 PM

I am trying to figure out a centralized location, that would be fairly close (within an hour) of more than one area that is good for jobs. It does not have to be a small town. To us even the biggest cities in MT will probably feel small. It will have to be affordable (250K or less for 5 or more acres).
My wife and I love log homes, so I have even tossed around buying land, and doing that, but it is very expensive. I figure by the time I buy land for 50K plus, and then get power, phone, water well dug, septic, etc. plus the pice of a log home at maybe $300 sq. ft. it will be more than my house here. I would end up having to work here for the next 20 years to pay for it.
I am going to try to create a list of possibilities, so when we make a road trip, we can check out a lot of different areas, and get a feel for what my wife and I want. She basically wants a flat lot, with trees (something I can put a swing on). We have 3 horses now, and she might want more I don't know if MT has laws concerning how many horses per acre. Here in Southern Ca. it is 6 hooved animals per 1/2 acre.
Right now properties, are to where I can just barely afford to buy something now, but in another year, they may be out of reach I am really in a quandry as to what to do...Should I wait and hope prices will drop a little, and also to make sure where I will end up working at, or do I take a chance and buy something, in hopes of working in the area in the future, maybe rent it out for now, and if I end up with a job elsewhere, sell it, and buy another property.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:07 PM

529 posts, read 1,728,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns65vette View Post
I am trying to figure out a centralized location, that would be fairly close (within an hour) of more than one area that is good for jobs. It does not have to be a small town. To us even the biggest cities in MT will probably feel small. It will have to be affordable (250K or less for 5 or more acres).
My wife and I love log homes, so I have even tossed around buying land, and doing that, but it is very expensive. I figure by the time I buy land for 50K plus, and then get power, phone, water well dug, septic, etc. plus the pice of a log home at maybe $300 sq. ft. it will be more than my house here. I would end up having to work here for the next 20 years to pay for it.
I am going to try to create a list of possibilities, so when we make a road trip, we can check out a lot of different areas, and get a feel for what my wife and I want. She basically wants a flat lot, with trees (something I can put a swing on). We have 3 horses now, and she might want more I don't know if MT has laws concerning how many horses per acre. Here in Southern Ca. it is 6 hooved animals per 1/2 acre.
Right now properties, are to where I can just barely afford to buy something now, but in another year, they may be out of reach I am really in a quandry as to what to do...Should I wait and hope prices will drop a little, and also to make sure where I will end up working at, or do I take a chance and buy something, in hopes of working in the area in the future, maybe rent it out for now, and if I end up with a job elsewhere, sell it, and buy another property.
Montana is so large, and there are so many places here that might meet your desired requirements, that it might be very difficult to come to a good conclusion with regard to your quandry.

I know this may not be very realistic for you, but I thought to mention it anyway.

Many who come here, come and rent and or work for a period of time, before they finally decide on just where they need to be. The reasoning is such that there have been those in the past, that have purchased 8 to 10 to 25 acres of land out in the open, hoping to move up here in a few years or so, only to discover when they get here that there are nothing but houses/subdivisions surrounding their parcel. Thus, the good money they spent 2 or 3 years previous just went down the depreciation toilet as a result of the newly surrounding growth.

Take your time and be as thoughtful as you can about this. Don't fall in for the "hard sell" that brokers here might try to put on you....

Contact the various county planning boards/commissions in the areas you are interested in frequently, and listen to what they have to say about any future potential growth plans for the area.

Above all, my friend... don't stress... just take it easy, .... just take your time.

I'm quite certain that, not only will you make it to Montana, but you will have every opportunity to experience your dream once you get here too ....

Old 01-14-2007, 10:12 PM

529 posts, read 1,728,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogMan View Post
I've read that GF has higher average wind that the windy city - Chicago! Every time I've been through there your certainly had to hold your hat on good and tight! If you want a small community, how about Winnet, MT? Use to go hunting there. Sticks in my mind a gas station / post office /general store (all in one) and friendly farmers all around. That's about it! KTM
Here's a very little known fact about windy cities:

Great Falls, Montana by far is the (actual) windiest city in the US.

Chicago was named the windy city as a result of it's democratic political machine from history long past ..... The name hence, has nothing to do with actual "natural" wind.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
Above all, my friend... don't stress... just take it easy, .... just take your time.

I'm quite certain that, not only will you make it to Montana, but you will have every opportunity to experience your dream once you get here too ....

I guess in actuality I have plenty of time. I'll focus on getting rid of all my debt, except the existing house payment I have, and just start putting away as much as I can in savings.
Give myself a chance to make several trip up there during different times of the year as well.
Maybe since the market has tanked here, it might have an effect up there now as well, since those "greedy Californians" won't be making as much on their properties. I can only hope.

Thanks GSG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana