U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:58 PM

9,524 posts, read 7,784,584 times

Advertisements

There are smaller mountain ranges in Eastern Montana. The Bull Mountains North of Billings, the Pryor Mountains southwest of Billings, The Crazy Mountains, the Bear Paw (or bears paw or bear paws)Mountains,
Just check your Montana Map, you will find the highways which go over the passes. The 2-lanes are more fun to drive, and have better scenery than the (two) freeways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 04:34 PM

369 posts, read 1,300,332 times
Quote:
Actually my family and I were planning a trip this summer, and were wondering if you took the trip through Montana...we are from N. Minnesota and were wondering if we would have to travel very far W. from Billings to see the mountains...our plan is to spend a little time in Medora and travel E. to Billings...any suggestions.
Thank You
The absolutely most beautiful drive in America in the summer is from Billings to Red Lodge to Cook City to Yellowstone National Park. You will drive through the Beartooth Mountains and skirt Montana's highest peak. The road goes over Beartooth Pass at an elevation of 10,947 feet. Then exit the park at Gardnier and drive North through Paradise Valley along the Yellowstone River to Livingston and you'll see the Absorkee Range - absolutely beautiful. West of Livingston the mountains are great, but they don't stand out like the route I suggested.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:33 PM

1,436 posts, read 2,918,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Hey! I spent 7 years in Nebraska and it has it's own type of beauty. Kind of like learning to love a woman with a 32A bra.
I'd say more like jail bait with a training bra.... . I like my land like I like my women - Sporting BIG Hills

Old 03-09-2009, 07:08 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,566,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
The absolutely most beautiful drive in America in the summer is from Billings to Red Lodge to Cook City to Yellowstone National Park. You will drive through the Beartooth Mountains and skirt Montana's highest peak. The road goes over Beartooth Pass at an elevation of 10,947 feet. Then exit the park at Gardnier and drive North through Paradise Valley along the Yellowstone River to Livingston and you'll see the Absorkee Range - absolutely beautiful. West of Livingston the mountains are great, but they don't stand out like the route I suggested.
Grizzfan took the words out of my mouth. This is definitely the place you want to go. The Beartooth Pass is absolutely gorgeous, and it's very close (less than an hour away) to Billings. Red Lodge is a fun little town to visit, eat lunch at, etc., too!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 PM

214 posts, read 529,223 times
Remember, the Rockies go east to west in Montana, not like Colorado's north to south. It creates more interesting sunrises. There's some northern sections of I-15 similar to I-25. But I-25 is still a ways from the mountains.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:58 AM

1,436 posts, read 2,918,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbechtel View Post
Remember, the Rockies go east to west in Montana, not like Colorado's north to south....
Huh

Old 03-10-2009, 09:19 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,872,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbechtel View Post
Remember, the Rockies go east to west in Montana, not like Colorado's north to south.
That is utter nonsense ! The delineation of the rocky mountains ( including the front) in Montana from Yellowstone area goes north-west to the Glacier area. The western boundaries of Montana's Rocky Mountains follow the Montana/Idaho state line in roughly the same direction.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:30 AM

155 posts, read 639,141 times
That doesn't make sense. They deffinately run North-West.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:17 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,965 times
C'mon folks.. Didn't you know the lush mountains are all by Miles City? Haven't you seen Lonesome Dove?

Old 03-10-2009, 03:15 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,872,494 times
Default Name this Road House. Pics and clues and prizes Oh My !

I drive up and down the Rocky Mountain Front as well as back and fourth from the "golden Triangle" to the Flathead /Missoula region at least twice a month. I am also a map/geography/geology enthusiast to put it mildly. I know North Central and North west Montana like the back of my hand. Anyone want to guess the name of this "Road House" ?
I'll give you a few hints; The rafters are festooned with antique chainsaws. It is located in The Coeur D' Alene Mountains and is not too far from some wonderful hot springs that you can get soaked in. It is very near to a town whose name is the last part of the name of a Jesuit missionary. The first part of the name of that missionary is Saint Regis. Name that Road house and you will win a prize. The prize will be disclosed at a later date. Notice that the walls are only three logs high and they still have the bark on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Mountains?-image011.jpg   Mountains?-image015.jpg   Mountains?-image012.jpg   Mountains?-image013.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana