U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 03:14 PM

208 posts, read 595,495 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Are there dangerous snakes thoughout the whole state of Montana? Or only in the south part of the state. thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 07:20 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,069,458 times
Default snakes

What do you consider dangerous snakes? There are rattlers over most of the state. You just have to watch for them. I guess I don't think much about them - just used to it I guess.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:35 PM

I consider rattlers to be dangerous, I live in north oregon, southern oregon has most of the poisonous snakes. I was hoping there might be a less dense area in montana with snake population. I thank you for your reply.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:38 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,069,458 times
Default snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeedom View Post
I consider rattlers to be dangerous, I live in north oregon, southern oregon has most of the poisonous snakes. I was hoping there might be a less dense area in montana with snake population. I thank you for your reply.
Rattlers can be dangerous but just be careful if you're in an area that is known rattler habitat. They usually like it pretty dry.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:55 AM

6 posts, read 58,107 times
Default No need to fear.

I grew up in western Montana in a tiny, rural town. I lived there for 18 years, and I rarely saw snakes of any sort. The only time I did was in the rivers and then those were just water snakes. I can't speak for eastern-Montana, but in the West there are few snakes and few bugs. One of the reasons why I always liked it there.

The last thing you should worry about in western Montana is snakes.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:47 PM

369 posts, read 1,302,136 times
West of the Continental Divide, except in very dry areas, there are no rattlesnakes. I believe the rattlesnake is the only poisonous one in the state and can be quite common East of the Divide.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:59 PM

96 posts, read 254,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeddalynn View Post
I grew up in western Montana in a tiny, rural town. I lived there for 18 years, and I rarely saw snakes of any sort. The only time I did was in the rivers and then those were just water snakes. I can't speak for eastern-Montana, but in the West there are few snakes and few bugs. One of the reasons why I always liked it there.

The last thing you should worry about in western Montana is snakes.
Hi,
If you should be bitten by a rattler or any other poisonous snake what are the results to you . Fatal results , pain etc. THANK YOU

LOVE THE U.S.A.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:04 PM

369 posts, read 1,302,136 times
Quote:
Hi,
If you should be bitten by a rattler or any other poisonous snake what are the results to you . Fatal results , pain etc. THANK YOU
Painful of course. But, untreated rattlesnake bites will be fatal, depending on the size of the snake and the amount of venom, of course. If you are alone and a long way from medical treatment (that can be anywhere in Montana because of the vast distances from wilderness to town) you will be quickly in a hurt-locker.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:15 PM

6 posts, read 58,107 times
Living in Western Montana, I was always more afraid of bears and (above that) mountain lions.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:19 PM

I thank-you for all the replys. I visited Montana a few yrs ago. I call Montana gods country. the beauty is breath taking. And the people are sincere and very helpful to each other and strangers. Doing what you love, and loving what you do is true freedom, Kinda how I think of Montana. Thanks all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana