Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 06:22 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Most people do not realize there are far more cattle than people in Montana with only about 1,000,000 people in the fourth largest state in the whole country.

If you want to make a profit raising cattle, you need lots of cattle, which requires a lot of land. A ranch that is 10 miles by 10 miles in size is only 64,000 acres as a guide to size. Of course successful ranches are big, and due to this factor, poor people do not own them.

Here is Ted Turner's ranch in Montana, another wealthy person. He raises Buffalo and wild game on it.

https://www.tedturner.com/turner-ran...ranch-montana/

And here are current ranches for sale in the state. Note the size is larger than most people can imagine for ranches that are profitable. And note they are not going to be bought by average and poor people. The smaller cheap ranches, are hobby ranches, and you probably need a job to support your hobby.

https://www.mirrranchgroup.com/ranches/sunview-ranch/

And Western USA ranches.

https://www.ranchland.com/type/cattle-ranches-for-sale

And here are the 5 largest in the state.

https://knoffgroup.com/top-five-larg...rs-in-montana/
Why is Ted Turner the popular name often talked about his land ownings, why isn’t John Malone ever mentioned since he’s #1? Or the other two families above Turner. I follow real estate has a hobby, but not really ranches, but I know of Turner…

https://landreport.com/americas-100-largest-landowners/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 06:30 AM

57 posts, read 61,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Question: Why do so many city people, think that large landowners should let every Tom, Dick, and Henry from the town and city go on their land and treat it like it is public land?

Growing up and ranching over 100,000 leased timberland privately owned we had leased next to our 80 acres, I can tell you the big reason that large ranchers do not allow public use of their land.

They frighten and often kill a cow, tear up the land with off-road vehicles, dump their trash from home instead of paying to dispose of it, cut their fences to enter the property letting the animals through and the landowner has to get the cattle rounded up and bring them home. This list can go on and on.

The big reason that private property has locked out the public, is ranchers have put up with a lot of pigs, and to keep them off the ranches, is to let no one on their land.

Montana has the 12th largest percentage of the state being public land, so if you want to go to the land that you can enter go to state and federal owned land. There is lots of it.

The same people that want ranches to have public use, would be first to call the cops if some people started to use their front lawn for picnics, ball games, etc. without permission.
You are absolutely right Old Trader. Human are the only Vermin you have to worry about destroying your property.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:52 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
As a rancher, I agree, with one caveat.

There are many large landowners that lock access to public land. Ted Turner and N Bar are very bad about this.
If they let the public use the public land within their borders, then I have no problem. But too many treat it as their private empire, and basically squat on the public land for their own use. Which I see as theft of public land.

There are no angels on either side.
Agree 100%. Listen to what they say, but pay close attention to what they DO.

Time will tell with regard to these newest Whitefish billionaires, but this part of the article stood out:

"... a 3-acre hand-built pond with a boathouse and waterslide tower, a park with tennis and basketball courts, and a 31,000-square-foot mega-mansion valued at $9.2 million, the compound truly is something out of a fantasy.

Again, the Joneses are reluctant to discuss the details of their opulent lifestyle at the risk of appearing garish, even if they are quite pleased with how the dream is coming together."

At some point this Valley is going to be unable to satisfy all the egos moving in, at which point it'll be ruined forever.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:53 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Watched real estate ads for megaranches on YouTube last night, and was thinking of this thread. Same pitch: remote, pristine, landscape "diversity," adjacent to forest land, and guest ranch/hunting potential. With airport proximity. Some of those places had incredible lodges and guest cabins on them. Some were family operations, with fields, barns, stables, and multiple corrals. One ranch had its own private bison herd! One wonders what conditions force/entice owners to put them up for sale? Overwhelming taxes? Kids selling after parents passed away? Plain market opportunity? I'm guessing that few of those ranches will be run as traditional outfits in the future.

Old 12-30-2021, 09:13 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Why is Ted Turner the popular name often talked about his land ownings, why isn’t John Malone ever mentioned since he’s #1? Or the other two families above Turner. I follow real estate has a hobby, but not really ranches, but I know of Turner…

https://landreport.com/americas-100-largest-landowners/
... or John Hendricks

Look what he's done to the little town of Gateway, CO ... a mega resort for the well-heeled & affluent

I don't mean to derail this thread to CO, but it's a relevant example of the bigger issue.

Old 12-31-2021, 07:03 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
I get the "ranch fantasy" but they are expensive to buy and more expensive to run. I was looking at one in Ennis MT, owner lived on the East Coast within 10 minutes of my house. Guy was in his 70s and I couldn't figure out WTF he was thinking when he bought this sizable ranch! Well after owning it 8-10 yrs he sold it, looks like he made a couple million but that money could have easily been eaten up by overhead/operating costs over the ownership period.

Ranch..........check
Private Jet (otherwise its an all day airline shuffle).........check
4-5 restaurants in town......check

So after a week of being there, what do you do with yourself? Hello AirB&B: I'd like to stay on a ranch for a few weeks, definitely NOT buying one.

Old 12-31-2021, 07:06 AM

8 posts, read 4,229 times
Who's bored? lol

Old 12-31-2021, 07:00 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post

At some point this Valley is going to be unable to satisfy all the egos moving in, at which point it'll be ruined forever.
That ship sailed well over 20 years ago.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:29 PM

239 posts, read 661,134 times
One of the best investments I've seen out of the 1%. For those who thing it's unethical, at lest he didn't buy a ton of big Pharma stock and then make a $ killing after mandating that essentially the whole world takes it...

Old 01-01-2022, 09:21 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Shed View Post
One of the best investments I've seen out of the 1%. For those who thing it's unethical, at lest he didn't buy a ton of big Pharma stock and then make a $ killing after mandating that essentially the whole world takes it...
Care to elaborate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana