Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 06:56 AM

137 posts, read 153,540 times

Advertisements

I live in Great Falls and the worst part is the wind next inline to homelessness and crime. Other than those issues its not that bad. Downsides to other cities in the state will be cost. Great Falls is really the last affordable city in the state. Missoula is way higher housing yet jobs are on par with pay for Great Falls. I wanted to leave because of the wind but I can't put out an extra $300,000 for a house at this point. Nice places can be had in the east but there is nothing economy wise. Places like West Virginia are still over 50 years behind in almost every way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 07:42 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
The best thing about Montana- the "live and let live" attitude

The worst thing- some locals are deeply dysfunctional and just....losers.

Old 04-13-2023, 03:33 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austnf View Post

We are driving through Montana next month, specifically through Missoula, Great Falls, Stevensville, then around Billings.

I have a daily 60 mile day commute, so I am willing to go further than that. I feel like that is just a sacrifice I have to make if I want to live in Montana.

Thank you so much for those recommendations, I am familiar with Park City and Ballantine. Columbus appears to be a contender, too.

Thanks so much for you response!
I assume you have already been to Missoula and Stevensville. I lived in Stevensville and worked in Missoula, but it's been more than 15 years ago.

The commute to Missoula was about 30 minutes each way. Missoula is a college town with a lot of retail type businesses. There was little in the way of industry or tech companies there then, perhaps that has changed. They economy had been affected by the dismantling of the logging industry there.

Stevensville is really just a small village town. There was a grocery store, a couple of mom and pop places to eat, a drugstore, and I think a gas station. There were small elementary/middle/high schools there. At least, that's the way it was then. It may have built up since then. There is Hamilton another 30 to 45 minutes in the other direction. Pretty much like Stevensville, a picturesque, small town with pricey real estate.

From my experience, good paying jobs are not that abundant, and the price of land and housing was very high compared to wages. There was a large influx of Californians that had "cashed out" (this was 2007) and were moving to the area. That drove the cost of property up. This was just before the housing market crash of 2008. Not sure if things were "corrected" price wise after that or not.

The Ravalli County area is beautiful and the perfect place if you want seclusion from the rest of the country, and natural beauty and mountains around you. I have never felt safer anywhere. The demographics are also not very diverse. That is a pro/con depending on your viewpoint and expectations.

I knew I would never be able to afford my own property and home there. If I had stayed, I would have looked at Great Falls.

Best of luck!

Old 04-18-2023, 08:48 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post

I never thought of it as live and let live. Personally I knew a lot of VERY nosy people while living there.

I think losers might be everywhere.

Last edited by NDak15; 04-18-2023 at 08:59 PM..

Old 04-19-2023, 12:55 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post

It used to be live and let live, however this legislative session has seen a slew of bills and laws that completely contradict that.

Old 04-20-2023, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
It used to be live and let live, however this legislative session has seen a slew of bills and laws that completely contradict that.
How so?

Old 04-20-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
How so?
Look at the bills signed into law. There’s a lot of ‘anti this, and anti that’. A ban on Tik-Tok is another. I’m not going into details or opinion- one can look at the bills passed into laws easily enough.

However- anytime a ‘restrictive’ law is passed, particularly those that restrict personal liberties- That’s not synonymous with ‘live and let live’ .

Old 04-23-2023, 09:42 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,363,884 times
"Live and let live" used to be acceptable. Then they got emboldened and started messing with children.

That guy pretending to be a woman in MiZOOla is a real piece of work ... great example of 'you get what you vote for'.

Old 04-24-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
"Live and let live" used to be acceptable. Then they got emboldened and started messing with children.

That guy pretending to be a woman in MiZOOla is a real piece of work ... great example of 'you get what you vote for'.
Bigoted and paranoid much?

Last edited by NDak15; 04-24-2023 at 12:49 PM..

Old 04-24-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post

What did she do to children? That person (human) is simply trying to live their lives- you know ‘live and let live’. How does that offend you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana