Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:38 AM

38 posts, read 157,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
Oh, and by the way..... Deer Lodge gets my vote, any day of the week, over Hamilton......
Just curious, could you explain? Is it the cost of housing or other things? My aunt and uncle live in Hamilton and I've fallen in love with the area. But we need to be realistic and move to where we can afford a house.Thanks for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 05:40 PM

529 posts, read 1,887,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabb36 View Post
Just curious, could you explain? Is it the cost of housing or other things? My aunt and uncle live in Hamilton and I've fallen in love with the area. But we need to be realistic and move to where we can afford a house.Thanks for your input

You need to know that I've lived in Montana all of my life.... 20 years easily in Missoula (Big Flat)......
I've been all over the Bitterroot Valley over the years....
I remember the Bitterroot when it was truly indeed beautiful.
There were no houses on any of the surrounding hills, and when cell phones came out, you couldn't get a signal beyond Miller Creek Road south of town (Missoula).
I remember the bitterroot when you could hunt and fish anywhere along the river. I remember those days as if it were yesterday.

When I look at the Bitterroot these days, I may not necessarily see, what you see. I still see (or want to see) the Bitterroot the way it used to be, back in the day when it truly was beautiful.
The Bitterroot still holds it's luster for folks just now coming here, folks that have never seen it's true innocence and wild beauty.....

As far as Hamilton?... Yes, I would trade Hamilton for Deer Lodge in less than half-a-heartbeat. But that's only because I remember the Bitterroot.... of how it used to be, as opposed to how it is now, that's all.....

As far as housing??... Well, right now, as far as cost.... the prices are kind of way out there. But I'll let you be the judge of that.

In the end, however, you will choose what suits you best... If you love the Bitterroot, and you feel that you might be able to live there, then I suggest, and highly, that you move there. You need to do what you feel is best for you.

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 01-09-2007 at 06:41 PM..

Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,543,912 times
I guess if you want a real, authentic "Montana experience" Deer Lodge would be better. Hamilton, from what I've seen, is populated largely by out-of-staters. Of course, people come to Hamilton because the area is undeniably beautiful and the climate is mild by Montana standards (and yet arctic-like by Alabama standards).

As an out-of-stater myself I'd personally go with Hamilton, but it really depends on your wants.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:33 AM

15 posts, read 65,161 times
Missoula is hardly even like Montana anymore. Same goes for the Flathead Valley.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:11 PM

4 posts, read 10,367 times
I grew up in Missoula and hated moving to Spokane. This was in the early 70's and things have greatly changed in Missoula. I still get tearful when I leave the state (now in the Mojave desert). A few years ago I looked at prices of land in the Bitteroot valley and fell off my chair. I would say most are imports moving to cash out the equity on their expensive houses and move to God's country. It's happening in all the beautiful places. Just a lot of babby boomers now moving out of the cities and driving prices up. Not sure what the locals of these small cities will do when they have to buy a house or land! sigh. Good luck on the land / house search! KTM

Old 01-14-2007, 08:30 AM

38 posts, read 157,436 times
GiftShoppeGuy~

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you're saying. The Bitterroot has changed so much for you. Seeing it as an outsider, from where I come from(the asphalt jungle) it looks like paradise. Thanks for taking the time to answer and for all your posts. They're very informative and helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
You need to know that I've lived in Montana all of my life.... 20 years easily in Missoula (Big Flat)......
I've been all over the Bitterroot Valley over the years....
I remember the Bitterroot when it was truly indeed beautiful.
There were no houses on any of the surrounding hills, and when cell phones came out, you couldn't get a signal beyond Miller Creek Road south of town (Missoula).
I remember the bitterroot when you could hunt and fish anywhere along the river. I remember those days as if it were yesterday.

When I look at the Bitterroot these days, I may not necessarily see, what you see. I still see (or want to see) the Bitterroot the way it used to be, back in the day when it truly was beautiful.
The Bitterroot still holds it's luster for folks just now coming here, folks that have never seen it's true innocence and wild beauty.....

As far as Hamilton?... Yes, I would trade Hamilton for Deer Lodge in less than half-a-heartbeat. But that's only because I remember the Bitterroot.... of how it used to be, as opposed to how it is now, that's all.....

As far as housing??... Well, right now, as far as cost.... the prices are kind of way out there. But I'll let you be the judge of that.

In the end, however, you will choose what suits you best... If you love the Bitterroot, and you feel that you might be able to live there, then I suggest, and highly, that you move there. You need to do what you feel is best for you.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,868 times
Default Going back home

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandjblue View Post
we are looking to move to mt at the end of summer want to be in the bitter root area I have 2 small children my wife and I are both mid thirtys and have work from home busissness dont want a large town were from north alabama town of under 10.000 but only 30 miles from huntsville a large city thinking about hamilton,deer lodge work requires weekly vistes to the citys what do you locals think ??? we have been planning this move for over 5 years thanks michael
I currently live in Estill Springs Tennessee and want to move back to Montana myself and would like to do so in the next few months if I can come up with enough funds. I grew up in Hamilton and graduated from high school there and attended the University of Montana in Missoula. I was born near Billings and that is where I am considering moving to, or at least in that area. I know Hamilton would not be as I remembered it growing up which is why I am selecting a different place to locate to. One that has more job opportunities as well. What kind of home businesses do you and your wife run that require visits to a city of some size?

Old 01-21-2007, 09:41 AM

43 posts, read 136,668 times
Post visits to the city

I own a internet busisness and my wife works on fund raisers for churchs, alot of which is also done on the web but we both still reguire some travel but from all we have learned it will be worth the extra day or two a month on the road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana