U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:38 AM

43 posts, read 91,932 times
Default moving to montana

we are looking to move to mt at the end of summer want to be in the bitter root area I have 2 small children my wife and I are both mid thirtys and have work from home busissness dont want a large town were from north alabama town of under 10.000 but only 30 miles from huntsville a large city thinking about hamilton,deer lodge work requires weekly vistes to the citys what do you locals think ??? we have been planning this move for over 5 years thanks michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 05:18 PM

why is no one replying

Old 01-07-2007, 09:23 PM

149 posts, read 436,960 times
<<<<why is no one replying>>>>

Well, somedays it takes more than 8 hours for people to post. Most of us work. I have to earn money to pay off bills before I move to Montana the end of the year. We ARE moving to Hamilton. Beautiful area, ~4,000 people.
Don't be too impatient about getting replies. Somedays there is a flurry of posts, somedays not. Part of the learning to adapt to a slower, more casual lifestyle. Being from the SF bay area in calif. and a Type-A personality, it is something I am looking forward too. I honor my serenity whenever I can get it.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:32 AM

719 posts, read 1,946,232 times
One thing I have been doing a lot of is, going on Yahoo maps, and charting distances from one city to another, to see where the ideal location would be.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:45 AM

35 posts, read 122,722 times
Where in north Ala. are you from, we're from northeast Ms. We've been in MOntana for 4 year and love it!! Lots of southerners here. Bitterroots are drop dead georgeous! We're around the Tobaccoroot mtns.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold west View Post
Where in north Ala. are you from, we're from northeast Ms. We've been in MOntana for 4 year and love it!! Lots of southerners here. Bitterroots are drop dead georgeous! We're around the Tobaccoroot mtns.
we are from Arab al about 30 miles south of Huntsville please tell me all about the area and what you think of it

Old 01-08-2007, 04:41 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 1,560,363 times
Default ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandjblue View Post
we are looking to move to mt at the end of summer want to be in the bitter root area I have 2 small children my wife and I are both mid thirtys and have work from home busissness dont want a large town were from north alabama town of under 10.000 but only 30 miles from huntsville a large city thinking about hamilton,deer lodge work requires weekly vistes to the citys what do you locals think ??? we have been planning this move for over 5 years thanks michael
What do you want to know? People probably haven't answered you much as they're not sure what you are asking? The Bitterroot is beautiful if that's what you want. Most of MT is great. It all depends on what you are looking for. What do you want in a nearby city? I'm assuming that you want a small town as you mentioned Hamilton and Deer Lodge. I would pick Deer Lodge over Hamilton any day. Of course I would pick east of the mountains instead over anything in western MT.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:38 PM

463 posts, read 1,002,971 times
Quote:
Well, not sure what you are asking, but I do hope you have alot of money as you are looking at a very expensive area. Deer Lodge not so expensive and also home to the main prison in Montana. Missoula would be much closer to Hamilton but Hamilton has grown a ton recently and is not such a small town anymore and very expensive to buy homes there.

Not sure why you want to wait until summer is over to move here. Summers are so short, and it's a great time to be here to enjoy all that nature has to offer. Winter comes so fast and stays so long...

Ask specific questions if you want answers and feedback! Good luck.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:05 AM

529 posts, read 1,299,917 times
Quote:
If you've been planning this for 5 years, then you most certainly know that one would have to take Billings, Missoula, Great Falls, Kalispell and a few other towns or so around here to even attempt to come close to the population of the Huntsville/Decatur area..... that's a half a million people... half of the population of our entire state.

Of course Missoula (area) boasts a grand total of roughly 50,000, so that might be large enough for you. (one can stuff only so many people into such a small valley)...... still though, if you are used to conducting your business in such a large population center, I would hope that you not become discouraged when you discover how small things really are over here in Big Sky Country.

Secondly, fall/winter is the very worst time of year to move anywhere... especially in Montana. Weather turns on a dime around here.... you may wish to re-think the scheduled moving time to match the friendliest weather patterns. It might save you a few logistical head aches.

Good Luck in your move, and Welcome To Montana

Oh, and by the way..... Deer Lodge gets my vote, any day of the week, over Hamilton......

Old 01-09-2007, 07:31 AM

Default thanks

We started working with a realtor in kilspell this morning, billings greatfalls and misslou had the same issues were trying to get away from and thanks to the information that I got from all of you I can be on the road 2 or 3 days aweek and live where we want I am a little surprised at the coast of homes there but I guess you have to pay to play. (with all that land you would think there would be something cheaper than what we saw from the realtors site and the prices he gave us)we really fill like its on now that after 5 years we have got a realtor and bought our busissness license thanks for the help michael
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana