U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 12:33 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,302,933 times

Advertisements

Nothing like reviving and answering questions that were posted 4 years ago. Did anybody notice the thread was 4 years old?
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 01:07 PM

4,613 posts, read 3,935,217 times
There are very few black Montanans. But here is story about one that I think gives idea how people are treated as individuals not lumped in as member of a group.

Big Man, Big Heart

I also will say that any divisions in Montana are more socioeconomic than racial/cultural.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,157 times
good morning beautiful ppl im trying move montona between missoula are great falls im african american soon i finish college might transfer im from atlanta ga. i live all over and fitting right in special vermont and mass and portland main its a way how u as a african blk man carried ur self in life anywere u go now u go some were with the noise like any other state they going bring the noise real talk thats a fact. im moving montana if the lords will i want live a peaceful life with no crimes are black on black crime tired of it it will never change i love my self to much want live peacefun and have fun not live fearful im not perfect but the pass is the pass long time ago sometimes in life u have to change from the negetive to th postive live a beautiful life and give back to the community no matter u are black are white any race so im going make a new start montana here i am a single african american male postive way everyone have a lovely blessed day always stay smiling happy happy happy from robert new england patriots ur find me on facebook again robert new england patriots blessed peace

Old 08-09-2014, 08:58 AM

7,538 posts, read 12,547,745 times
I must have missed your post from back when, HF, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
There are very few black Montanans. But here is story about one that I think gives idea how people are treated as individuals not lumped in as member of a group.
Big Man, Big Heart

I hadn't heard of him (he was active during the years I was living out of state) but he sounds like a great person and a very well-balanced individual. The kids' attitudes speak volumes.

Here's a mini-profile from the Milken Educator Awards:

Milken Educator Godfrey Saunders (MT '99)

And what he's doing now!

http://blog.utc.edu/TheLoop/2010/07/...rship-academy/

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I also will say that any divisions in Montana are more socioeconomic than racial/cultural.
Exactly so.

Last edited by Reziac; 08-09-2014 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-09-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poochie822 View Post
good morning beautiful ppl im trying move montona
Howdy, and welcome to the Montana Stew

New England Patriots, eh? 49ers fan myself!
(Tho I haven't seen a game in some years... )

Old 08-11-2014, 09:15 AM

9,473 posts, read 5,866,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceofmind View Post
Thanks... the numbers are really low I appreciate the info. I just don't want to feel like a fish out of water.
The way to not "feel like a fish out of water" is to not focus on skin color.

The vast majority of people you meet won't care, either.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 949 times
Hello. I am new here.
First of all, I know this is an old thread, but it's long thread about the very thing I wanted to learn about from this forum.

I plan to move to the West/Midwest (Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, N/S Dakota, Nebraska). I want to get away from the city, the intolerable heat, and I want to find a traditional area where people are not politically correct, they don't call whites "racist" just because they're white, don't grovel to nonwhites and apologize for all their problems -- the mainstream mentality, in other words, what's going on in our society. I'm interested in finding someplace where a large percentage don't buy into that, or like AQAH said, " Many Montana folks like the fact that it is a white state."

I am not trying to offend anyone. I'm not interested in discussing this ideology. I just want to know about the lifestyles of these states and thought I'd try to get some info on this forum from people who live there.

So, I'm wondering on this thread, what is Montana more like -- the politically-correct people who commented on this thread or are they more like AQAH who isn't afraid of being white and having their own opinion?

Thank you in advance for any information!

Old 08-19-2014, 02:58 PM

56,074 posts, read 80,155,010 times
Great Falls, which has Malmstrom Air Force Base and it brings in more diversity to the city/area. I know that Billings has a church or two that worships in the African American tradition. Boseman and Missoula will have some due to Montana State and the University of Montana.

You may have a sprinkle in Butte and Glasgow from the old mining and Air Force Base days, respectively. Same with Helena, which has or had a "Black church". There may be a few others with a sprinkle of Black people too.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:56 AM

27 posts, read 26,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesta2 View Post
Hello. I am new here.
First of all, I know this is an old thread, but it's long thread about the very thing I wanted to learn about from this forum.

I plan to move to the West/Midwest (Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, N/S Dakota, Nebraska). I want to get away from the city, the intolerable heat, and I want to find a traditional area where people are not politically correct, they don't call whites "racist" just because they're white, don't grovel to nonwhites and apologize for all their problems -- the mainstream mentality, in other words, what's going on in our society. I'm interested in finding someplace where a large percentage don't buy into that, or like AQAH said, " Many Montana folks like the fact that it is a white state."

I am not trying to offend anyone. I'm not interested in discussing this ideology. I just want to know about the lifestyles of these states and thought I'd try to get some info on this forum from people who live there.

So, I'm wondering on this thread, what is Montana more like -- the politically-correct people who commented on this thread or are they more like AQAH who isn't afraid of being white and having their own opinion?

Thank you in advance for any information!
If you are black and would be uncomfortable being 1 of 6 within a 200 mile radius, then Eastern Montana is definitely somewhere you should rule out. Billings is probably the only place on this side of the state that even hints at diversity. I scanned this forum for awhile to give me some idea of what my family would be facing if we chose to relocate here. Unfortunately, I didn't go this far back in my digging and only came across the "politically correct" posts. Myself, my husband, and two children moved to a small town on the eastern side of state about 2 1/2 years ago. We are an interracial couple originally from the south. It's not all bad, and it's still growing due to the oil fields, but the atmosphere can make a person of color a little uncomfortable. There are a few fantastic people in this town just not enough of them to warrant us continuing to live here. The majority of the people here are lifers. They have lived in this town their entire lives and have no desire to see it change. My husband calls it "bubble city" because it seems as if they unaware that there is a whole world beyond the state line. ALL of the activities, beyond sports, are geared toward farming and ranching. They are HUGE into FFA and 4-H. I'm not saying this is a bad thing but if your child is not necessarily interested in farm animals, there isn't much for them to do except wait around on football season or fish, both of which my children enjoy. As I said before, there are some good things too. The small towns here are safe. There is little crime here and the kids are free to run around town without many worries. It is one of those places where your kid leaves in the morning to go "hang out" and you may not see them again until dark. The schools are average, with small class sizes. It's quiet and focuses largely on supporting the those programs that are available for the kids. Ultimately, it is all about what you are comfortable with. My husband started out optimistic but now chooses to only hang out with a few close friends and DOES NOT hang out in town. Good Luck to you in finding the perfect place for your new adventure!! For ourselves, we are heading back south where we can look forward to more predictable weather and somewhere that is a more comfortable atmosphere for our family.

I have heard that the bigger cities located on the western side of the state are definitely more diverse. I would look into those towns.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:44 PM

The problem with chasing "diversity" is that it tends to lead to people pointing and saying, "You're different!" (regardless of what that might be) rather than just all being people of whatever sort. I don't care if you're black, white, green, or plaid, so long as you're one of US and aren't bent on being one of "them".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or