Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 PM

19 posts, read 127,268 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been trying to find stats on areas where African Americans live. I haven't been able to find any! There doesn't seem to be an area that has more than 2%. Can anybody tell me something different? I am considering moving there but I would like some diversity. I look forward to hearing form folks. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
You can go right here on City-Data and it will show you the percentages in each town you select. Won't tell you the exact location, but it will tell you the percentage that live in that town.

Montana Bigger Cities (over 6000 residents) - Real Estate, Housing, Schools, Residents, Crime, Pollution, Demographics and More

Old 06-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Thanks... the numbers are really low I appreciate the info. I just don't want to feel like a fish out of water.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Here in Sheridan Wyoming, the numbers are really low also. But, they're kind of false. We have a college in town so there fore are a lot more diverse then the numbers that show permanent residents.

Could be the same way in several Montana towns.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceofmind View Post
Hi,

I have been trying to find stats on areas where African Americans live. I haven't been able to find any! There doesn't seem to be an area that has more than 2%. Can anybody tell me something different? I am considering moving there but I would like some diversity. I look forward to hearing form folks. Thanks
I think I've seen maybe 10 black people in total since I've lived in the Flathead (other than tourists) and I think we have maybe 2 in school.
There is more diversity in Missoula but then it's a college town. I have talked with some black people I know and they told me they'd never move here because it's "too white for them" which is their opinion I guess. I know my son constantly complains about the lack of diversity here and that he misses it since he's lived in CA,AL,and NC and is used to having many different people around.
The only way we'll become diverse is if people like you move here, it has to start somewhere right?

Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
When I lived in Bozeman, I only knew of 4 black people -- three were Kenyan students (I ate lunch with them occasionally) and one was a middle-aged guy I'd see around town once in a while, usually with his wife (who happened to be white). I don't think anyone thought twice about their race -- they were just people, tho the Kenyans were considered rather a novelty because they were foreigners, very friendly, and fun to talk to. Same with the single student from Lebanon -- he was pleasantly different thus a novelty, but otherwise a Regular Guy and was very much "one of us".

Great Falls always had a more-significant black population because of the high percentage of folks from the Deep South who enlisted in the military. Again, I never saw anyone pay the least bit of attention to the notion of "diversity". They were Just Folks, same as everyone else. Charlie Pride (who lived across the street from us when he was still in Great Falls) was a bit of a novelty as the first really successful black country singer, but Stars are always novelties regardless.

IMO the notion of "diversity" for its own sake is overrated, and when thrust upon people, often creates divisions that otherwise wouldn't exist. If you're not Busy Being [insert ethnicity here] and making sure everyone knows it, most people won't care if you're black, white, green, or plaid. But come and be one of us, be "just folks", and we'll discover each other's unique traits in their own time, same as we would for anyone else.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:09 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceofmind View Post
Thanks... the numbers are really low I appreciate the info. I just don't want to feel like a fish out of water.
I can't think of many people out here who care what color a person is, what matters most is a person's character.

Sometimes the best fish are the rarest ones in the lake!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:15 PM

Thanks I really appreciate all of the positive comments. I knew a guy from Billings several years ago. He was a beautiful, genuine person and he didn't see color. I am looking forward to visiting. All the best

Old 06-28-2008, 09:12 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,361 times
greatfalls has more than most cities in the state because of the airforce base

Old 06-28-2008, 11:01 PM

All of the above comments have been so nice and "welcoming". I think that it is unfortunate that I received the following message from AQHA (American Quarter Horse). He/She could use a prayer....the below line is what I was sent.
Please find another state. We are not haters but we do like Montana white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana