U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:53 PM

122 posts, read 427,421 times

Advertisements

Well, I must have passed the first screening interview last Wednesday. Got a call today and the folks at the hospital want a 2nd interview when I'm out vacationing in July. Has anyone had any experiences, good or bad, with the St. Vincent Healthcare system? I am interviewing for a medical transcription position.

Does anyone have any good spots I should visit while in Billings to really get the atmosphere of the city and its people? (P.S. I'll have my 18-year-old daughter with me, lol). Also, any more reasonable, clean hotels/B&Bs/motels to stay at for a couple nights? I'd like to check out Laurel as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 08:51 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,485,360 times
While you're waiting for the locals' ideas, here's the Billings page on TripAdvisor.com where real travelers report their experiences. The left column has all the links you'll need.
Billings Tourism - Billings Vacation Reviews - Billings Vacations - TripAdvisor

Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 PM

thanks....

would also like to hear from locals too. Would like to check out the "local" places rather than the "tourist" chosen places.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:15 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,965 times
Congratulations!! Better hit Tori's for some of the best Mexican food in the north country while you're there!!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:04 PM

369 posts, read 1,300,332 times
I like Billings. There are a couple of nice hotels in the vicinity of the hospital -try the Crown Plaza, a bit pricy, but a very nice hotel and a few others on that street, I believe 24th, the one that leads to the Airport. Laurel is different totally; I don't recommend it. Billings has much more to offer and these days even a 15 mile commute is a budget buster.

Good luck!!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
I like Billings. There are a couple of nice hotels in the vicinity of the hospital -try the Crown Plaza, a bit pricy, but a very nice hotel and a few others on that street, I believe 24th, the one that leads to the Airport. Laurel is different totally; I don't recommend it. Billings has much more to offer and these days even a 15 mile commute is a budget buster.

Good luck!!
Thanks, I will have to see what Billings is all about before I make a decision where to live, if I am hired. However, I really tend to shy away from such a large city. I'm a single mom....I can't afford anything pricey, would love too though. And I wouldn't have a 15 mile commute. I will be Internet commuting. Just going to Billings once a month for meetings by the sounds of it.

Why don't you recommend Laurel? How about Lewistown?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Congratulations!! Better hit Tori's for some of the best Mexican food in the north country while you're there!!
LOVE MEXICAN FOOD!
Will have to check on location...thanks!

(Hope they have *good* margaritas)

Old 06-27-2008, 10:47 PM

I'm not certain about what your employment situation is obviously! Billings has so much more to offer than Laurel. Should you settle there, you'll spend half your time driving to Billings to shop. Yes, it's the largest city in Montana, somewhere around 100,000, but it doesn't seem so big and has a small town feel like all of Montana.

Lewistown is quite a ways away, couple hundred miles or so. Nice place, but the commute to Billings can be hazardous in the winter on two lane roads.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
I'm not certain about what your employment situation is obviously! Billings has so much more to offer than Laurel. Should you settle there, you'll spend half your time driving to Billings to shop. Yes, it's the largest city in Montana, somewhere around 100,000, but it doesn't seem so big and has a small town feel like all of Montana.

Lewistown is quite a ways away, couple hundred miles or so. Nice place, but the commute to Billings can be hazardous in the winter on two lane roads.
LOL. I will be working for St. Vincent's but I will work from home via the internet. I will only have a commute for 1-3 months, so I would be in Billings first, but eventually would like to be out of the city.

Yes, I am aware of Lewistown's location, also that it is away from the hub-bub of more tourist areas, which I think I would like. I would only have to travel to Billings once a month for meetings.

I'm a pretty good Internet shopper. In this town of 1,100 that I live in here in WI, we just have the basics to shop for. I have to drive 1.5 hours round trip to get to a Wal-Mart or anything of that nature. Shopping really isn't a necessity for me. I do love greenhouses however.

I think I would feel safer for my kids to go to school in a smaller town. Is that wrong way of thinking for Montana? or doesn't it matter much.... Large city versus small town safety? I don't lock my doors much here in WI, just at night. I'd like the same in small town MT. Maybe I'm just not too smart....

Old 06-28-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I think I would feel safer for my kids to go to school in a smaller town. Is that wrong way of thinking for Montana? or doesn't it matter much.... Large city versus small town safety? I don't lock my doors much here in WI, just at night. I'd like the same in small town MT. Maybe I'm just not too smart....
That's a good plan. Billings does have its share of petty and violent crime, more so than Lewistown I suspect. But these days, with the drug scene, some so-called "end-of-the-road-people" hole-up in small towns to achieve some semblance of anominity. I'm not sure keeping your doors unlocked anywhere is much of a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana