Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 12:01 PM

8 posts, read 26,968 times

Advertisements

So are residents of Montana able to grow hemp yet. I thought I read you could apply for a license through the state to grow it. On the other hand, I read North Dakota and Vermont are the only states able to grow it for industrial use. Can anyone clear this up for me? And if there is anybody already farming, I would love to hear from them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 12:38 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,058,632 times
Montana does allow for the growing of the other type of hemp AKA medicinal marijuana.
As for the hemp grown for fiber I have no Idea.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:21 AM

Default anyone else wanna chime in

I was hoping to get quite a few reponses on this questions....Guys and Gals Hemp is the way of our future just like it was the way of our past....Montana would be another great state to adopt growing hemp....it is a plant that would help boost Montana's economy....what does Montana need to do that North Dakota and Vermont have already done....why wouldn't Montana want this?

Old 06-29-2008, 04:45 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,407 times
I don't know anything about growing hemp, but this thread reminds me of a story a law enforcement friend told me a couple years back. This kid called the cops because he thought someone was in his house, and when the cops came they ended up taking the kid who called to jail because they found his closet garden, but no burgler!

Old 06-30-2008, 02:59 PM

155 posts, read 714,551 times
Why is hemp the way of the future? What is wrong with cotton? Maybe I am confused.... not sure where to go with this one.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Hemp's already here! Some family in Whitefish just got busted growing "hemp" in their house... Cops went their on a domestic call and ooops! Oh wait, while I guess it's hemp it was the smokable kind...

Old 06-30-2008, 08:09 PM

Default oh no!

Oh no guys and gals.....i'm sure you are very smart people, but you have to do your research on hemp....jimj...hemp and marijuana are cousins but thats it.....hemp has very very little thc so you could smoke it all day but nothing would happen....and as for mtboy....cotton will only get you so far...hemp has thousands of uses.....here are a few facts:

*Rudolph Diesel designed his engine to run on hemp oil
*Hemp fibers are longer, stronger, more absorbent and more mildew-resistant than cotton
*A 1938 Popular Mechanics described hemp as a "New Billion Dollar Crop." That's back when a billion was real money
*Hemp grows well in a variety of climates and soil types. It is naturally resistant to most pests, precluding the need for pesticides. It grows tightly spaced, out-competing any weeds, so herbicides are not necessary. It also leaves a weed-free field for a following crop
*Hemp can yield 3-8 dry tons of fiber per acre. This is four times what an average forest can yield (SAVING TREES)
*The products that can be made from hemp number over 25,000.

Folks, we could run our cars on this stuff, it makes stronger, longer lasting building materials, we can grow it pretty much anywhere. I guess Americans are just in the dark on this. Research it yourself, this can really make a HUGE change in our economy. So once again I ask where does Montana stand on this issue?

Old 06-30-2008, 10:56 PM

Default found this

MHC - Montana Hemp Council - Home

Old 07-01-2008, 04:03 AM

305 posts, read 868,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marley972 View Post
I just have to laugh a bit at this thread... although, I must admit I haven't done thorough research (or any) on hemp farming.

"The Montana Hemp Council was formed in November 2005. It does not yet have an extensive history, however, one of MHC's first accomplishments was organizing the 2006 Missoula Hempfest - Missoula's most popular festival"

Missoula and Hempfest - now that brings up some images...

Old 07-01-2008, 06:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
So the question I have is if hemp is the wave of the future then why is it illegal to cultivate in one of the most liberal states in the nation CA? You'd think the greenie left wing wackos would be all over it there planting it on every spec of open space at UC Berkeley!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana