U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-06-2008, 11:18 AM

6,038 posts, read 6,869,442 times

Advertisements

Hey Jimj, some company is making a kayak that offers you a choice between the model with a built in stero system or you can buy it with a built in drink blender ! No joke !
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 11:34 AM

1,368 posts, read 4,515,006 times
why not both?

Old 07-07-2008, 07:30 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,721 posts, read 11,909,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Hey Jimj, some company is making a kayak that offers you a choice between the model with a built in stero system or you can buy it with a built in drink blender ! No joke !
Dang, just what I need to hear, a stereo going down the river Kind of reminds me of a float we did last year. Between C-Falls and Presentine Bar there were 2 ladies(?) floating in tubes towing a cooler full of adult beverages and while they're floating along sucking on a beer can and yelling they've also got cell phones stuck to the side of their heads! I would have really been happy had they flipped the tubes, at least that would have been the end of the yakking on phones! Isn't that what Whitefish lake is for?

Old 07-07-2008, 04:20 PM

1,305 posts, read 770,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Dang, just what I need to hear, a stereo going down the river Kind of reminds me of a float we did last year. Between C-Falls and Presentine Bar there were 2 ladies(?) floating in tubes towing a cooler full of adult beverages and while they're floating along sucking on a beer can and yelling they've also got cell phones stuck to the side of their heads! I would have really been happy had they flipped the tubes, at least that would have been the end of the yakking on phones! Isn't that what Whitefish lake is for?
So how did the ladies floating down the river interfere with your rights? One of the things that is important with living in Montana is the freedom to engage in activities. I have a hard time seeing how people talking on their cell phones interferes with your ability to float the river or to do any activity on the river that you would like to partake in.

By the same token, I'm not sure how drinking a beer while on the river interferes with anything you'd like to do.

One of the things that irritates me in life is when people start to create new rules to regulate how a person is supposed to enjoy life. Just because person A believes in something doesn't mean the rest of the world must follow their rules. That's a city belief that we see in a lot of big cities and something that people in Montana don't want to deal with.

Personally, I say more power to the person who wishes to *** on their cell phone. It doesn't interfere with my life or my pursuit of happiness, so more power to them. The only things I believe people shouldn't do are things that endanger themselves or others or things that infringe on the rights of others. Using a cell phone is doesn't fall into one of these categories.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:42 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,612,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
So how did the ladies floating down the river interfere with your rights? One of the things that is important with living in Montana is the freedom to engage in activities. I have a hard time seeing how people talking on their cell phones interferes with your ability to float the river or to do any activity on the river that you would like to partake in.
What I got from his post was that he was amazed and appalled that someone would come all the way out to the wilderness, partake in a wild-river activity that's meant to bring you into close proximity with the rushing water, and at the same time insist on maintaining an umbilicus to civilization. It's like people who go "camping" in a Winnebago. They like to think they're "experiencing the wilderness" but they've applied such a thick coating of civilization on top that they can barely SEE the wilderness, let alone "experience" it.

And while people are perfectly free to do that, and it harms no one but themselves, it seems silly, moronic, and counterproductive from the point of view of someone who goes out to the river to enjoy the water and the fresh air and open space, rather than to do the same yakking on the phone and consuming of posh drinks that they'd do at the Country Club.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
What I got from his post was that he was amazed and appalled that someone would come all the way out to the wilderness, partake in a wild-river activity that's meant to bring you into close proximity with the rushing water, and at the same time insist on maintaining an umbilicus to civilization. It's like people who go "camping" in a Winnebago. They like to think they're "experiencing the wilderness" but they've applied such a thick coating of civilization on top that they can barely SEE the wilderness, let alone "experience" it.

And while people are perfectly free to do that, and it harms no one but themselves, it seems silly, moronic, and counterproductive from the point of view of someone who goes out to the river to enjoy the water and the fresh air and open space, rather than to do the same yakking on the phone and consuming of posh drinks that they'd do at the Country Club.
Exactly Reziac,Thank you!

Bigtrees,
While the noise did annoy me a bit since I don't take all the time to load my boat and haul it out to the river to listen to a couple of liquored up hoochie mamma's yakking on a cell and screaming, something they could have done on the deck of one of the local bars. So yes, I guess it did infringe on my rights to enjoy the wilderness and quiet. I handled the situation by back paddling so they'd blow on by and just shook my head.

BTW, I don't care what people drink anywhere as long as they maintain themselves appropriately for the situation they're in. As for more power to someone yakking it up on a cell, since it seems you're talking for the people of Montana how do the people feel about a few people on cells sitting next to them at the movies or at a fine dining establishment? How about the library?
It's called there's a time and place for everything.

You see, while you do have rights so do I and yours STOP when they interfere with mine or are your rights all that matter?
Now I guess we could get rid of all those pesky laws and rules and go back to self enforcement like in the old days, that'd be fine with me...

Old 07-12-2008, 10:09 AM

1,368 posts, read 4,515,006 times
Quote:
You see, while you do have rights so do I and yours STOP when they interfere with mine or are your rights all that matter?
Now I guess we could get rid of all those pesky laws and rules and go back to self enforcement like in the old days, that'd be fine with me...
Montana would NEVER break a population of 1 million if that was the case. And I'd be totally fine with that.

I agree Jim, and I'm pretty sure no one here can solve the argument of where exactly do your rights in public end, and mine begin? is it okay to disturb my experience with rude and disruptive behavior? I think we can all agree its not, the issue becomes... what IS rude and disruptive behavior? Knocking aisles down at the supermarket, screaming wildly and just acting like a little kid is not appropriate... but what about your cell phone on the river?

Jim, I applaud you for doing the one thing this country seems to lack so much of. Personal responsibility and action. Some hoochies drunk and chatting on their cells, backpeddle until they're past you.

We don't need more regulations on this stupid crap, we just need more personal responsibility and more people who are willing to just take action.

In places like the movie theater, or in quiet restaurants... it becomes trickier, because its harder for you to move out of range.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:37 PM

508 posts, read 556,521 times
Jim, your post made me think of a quote I heard once

"Your right to swing your fist ends where another man's face begins"

Can't remember who said it, maybe Gandhi. (jk with that btw)

Old 07-13-2008, 11:01 PM

1,305 posts, read 770,707 times
Quote:

Bigtrees,
While the noise did annoy me a bit since I don't take all the time to load my boat and haul it out to the river to listen to a couple of liquored up hoochie mamma's yakking on a cell and screaming, something they could have done on the deck of one of the local bars. So yes, I guess it did infringe on my rights to enjoy the wilderness and quiet. I handled the situation by back paddling so they'd blow on by and just shook my head.

BTW, I don't care what people drink anywhere as long as they maintain themselves appropriately for the situation they're in. As for more power to someone yakking it up on a cell, since it seems you're talking for the people of Montana how do the people feel about a few people on cells sitting next to them at the movies or at a fine dining establishment? How about the library?
It's called there's a time and place for everything.

Yes, there is a time and place for everything.

As far as the rivers, the waters are owned by the people of Montana for their use. The laws in Montana don't rank some uses (such as a person enjoying the outdoors) to be better or worse than other uses (such a person enjoying a beer on the river). The state doesn't pass judgement on how a person is on the river (as long as they are within the laws of state), and I think that's a good philosophy for all of us.

I personally don't find it inappropriate to see someone talking on their cell phone while on the river. It may not be how I use the river or what I had hoped to experience when floating, but I recognize that all of us use the outdoors in different ways. Since there are too many people to give all of us a private section of the river to float, I recognize that we all have to share the same resource. It requires an understanding that different people enjoy life differently.

Different rules may make sense for different locations. Airplanes, for example, are confined spaces that we cannot leave. Yakking on a cell phone there may be considered inconsiderate because the passenger next to you has no way of moving to a different part of the airplane (as radek mentions). (Some people say they intefere with the airplane electroncis, but they really don't). Movie theaters and restaruants are private property and cell phone use is subject to the rules of the owner. But the rivers are public and owned by all of us, so the rules are different there.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:24 AM

You know, I think I figured out why laws are enacted after our "good neighbors" decided to have a fireworks display last night. Here it is 10:00 at night, my son's asleep, I'm asleep and my wife's just relaxing and BOOM,BOOM,BOOM not just pop, pop, pop. These were high end explosions. Wife yelps 'cause it startles her, jolts me out of a good sleep and my son runs out of his room wondering what the heck? Just start to doze off again after about 20 minutes and BOOOOOOM! Here we go again. This went on for about an hour (about every 10 minutes) and it took me most of that time to get my adreneline calmed down.
Now I'm already aware that there's nothing the law or I can do at this point (since this is the COUNTY and we don't need no dang laws) other than going over and beating them like a drum or shooting off a can of bear spray into their house (my personal choice), but that would get me thrown in jail since naturally it's against the law to be pissed that someone shot you out of bed.

Sorry bigtrees but there's gonna be some kind of county ordinance if it kills me. I wish it wasn't needed but since people can't seem to control themselves or their kids and could care less about the people that live around them and since it's illegal for me to take care of it myself what choice is left? You can't legislate common sense but can sure make it uncomfortable for the idiots who don't use it.
I'm put into a corner, I either fight and go to jail or just realize that sleep is something that's a maybe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana