U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2008, 04:58 PM
 
44 posts, read 165,242 times
Reputation: 32

Advertisements

I know those fireworks can be really annoying, but it *is* just once a year, so live and let live. And please don't "call the cops" about every little annoying thing that occurs. Ever stop and think that everything that happens in an urban area, happens in a small town as well? They have better things to do. Trust me on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2008, 05:18 PM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,459,897 times
Reputation: 15488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan500 View Post
I know those fireworks can be really annoying, but it *is* just once a year, so live and let live. And please don't "call the cops" about every little annoying thing that occurs. Ever stop and think that everything that happens in an urban area, happens in a small town as well? They have better things to do. Trust me on this.
Unfortunately it's not just "once a year" anymore. It seems that even up to this week there's still explosions going on.
If they'd remove the law against me going over and dealing with it then I wouldn't call at all, I'd go take care of it but since it's a crime to do almost anything to stand up for yourself you're pretty much limited to calling aren't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,540 posts, read 12,571,634 times
Reputation: 2952
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
If they'd remove the law against me going over and dealing with it then I wouldn't call at all, I'd go take care of it but since it's a crime to do almost anything to stand up for yourself you're pretty much limited to calling aren't you?
And there we have the lack of courtesy problem in a nutshell. When a jerk knows his neighbours can't personally do anything about him being a jerk, he has no incentive to change his ways.

It's a corollary of "an armed society is a polite society". Don't need to get that extreme in most cases, but the principle is the same. If you're disarmed by the law saying you can't get after a rude jerk, the jerk is free to continue being rude, unless and until the cops get after him, and then you're in the position of having to prove the jerk was at fault. Which isn't always practical or possible, even if the cops have nothing better to do. (And do you really want a society where the cops are so thick on the ground that they DO have time to investigate every trivial disagreement??)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2008, 09:49 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,459,897 times
Reputation: 15488
Certainly not but I'd sure like to be able to do something other than not sleeping! 'Course I could stoop to their level in about 2 months a lite off a half stick at about 2-3 am....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 PM
 
21 posts, read 101,520 times
Reputation: 19
Default The original thread, common courtesy???

While I deeply understand your woes about your neighbors lighting off firework all hours of the night leading up to and after "Independence Day", common courtesy has become a thing of the past. I live in Gillette Wyoming with Montana being my wish for retirement someday. I have found throughout day to day life that respect for others and their property no longer exists. Whether this taking place through neighbors or constant addition of laws. I live in rural Campbell County and actually witnessed our new neighbors whizzing in my driveway only two doors up from their own toity! They have pitted up their land with torn up vehicles, shined spotlights onto our patios, and play spanish music through all hours of the night. On Independence Day while I was "blowing" my $300 worth of fireworks, they all turned on their headlights and played some sort of Spanish Anthem. All of these things happen daily with absolutely nothing that I can do about it. I suppose if one wishes to live in a neighborhood with convenaces restricting everything that you do on "your" property, then to each his own. I still would not give up the lack of light pollution, the Meadowlarks in the morning, and all else that makes rural living what we make of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 03:42 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,464 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetogillette View Post
While I deeply understand your woes about your neighbors lighting off firework all hours of the night leading up to and after "Independence Day", common courtesy has become a thing of the past. I live in Gillette Wyoming with Montana being my wish for retirement someday. I have found throughout day to day life that respect for others and their property no longer exists. Whether this taking place through neighbors or constant addition of laws. I live in rural Campbell County and actually witnessed our new neighbors whizzing in my driveway only two doors up from their own toity! They have pitted up their land with torn up vehicles, shined spotlights onto our patios, and play spanish music through all hours of the night. On Independence Day while I was "blowing" my $300 worth of fireworks, they all turned on their headlights and played some sort of Spanish Anthem. All of these things happen daily with absolutely nothing that I can do about it. I suppose if one wishes to live in a neighborhood with convenaces restricting everything that you do on "your" property, then to each his own. I still would not give up the lack of light pollution, the Meadowlarks in the morning, and all else that makes rural living what we make of it.

They sound like illegal aliens. You might want to report them, before they start drive-by shooting your house, or abduct your daughter/wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,540 posts, read 12,571,634 times
Reputation: 2952
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestNative View Post
They sound like illegal aliens. You might want to report them, before they start drive-by shooting your house, or abduct your daughter/wife.
I used to live in a cabin outside of Belgrade that was the occasional victim of drive-by shootings. This practice stopped abruptly when the cabin quite unexpectedly shot back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Northwestern Illinois
127 posts, read 308,492 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I used to live in a cabin outside of Belgrade that was the occasional victim of drive-by shootings. This practice stopped abruptly when the cabin quite unexpectedly shot back.
That's my kind of cabin. . . .self-sufficient and able to make a statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 07:00 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,459,897 times
Reputation: 15488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I used to live in a cabin outside of Belgrade that was the occasional victim of drive-by shootings. This practice stopped abruptly when the cabin quite unexpectedly shot back.
That is exactly the answer to the gang problem. If the locals would suck it up and pull a mass Charles Bronson (aka Death wish) on these idiots they'd leave. They don't want to die anymore than the next person so if the bangers realized that the locals can and will with great accuracy shoot back they'd high tail it. I really don't see most local police saying much if that were to happen do you? At least I'd hope they wouldn't...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,540 posts, read 12,571,634 times
Reputation: 2952
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
That is exactly the answer to the gang problem. If the locals would suck it up and pull a mass Charles Bronson (aka Death wish) on these idiots they'd leave. They don't want to die anymore than the next person so if the bangers realized that the locals can and will with great accuracy shoot back they'd high tail it. I really don't see most local police saying much if that were to happen do you? At least I'd hope they wouldn't...
It worked very well during the Los Angeles riots (post Rodney King... if you've seen the full video, you'll know he earned what he got) -- the armed shopkeepers were in no danger; their unarmed neighbours had to run for the hills. I don't recall any of them having to actually shoot at anyone -- merely being armed demonstrated that if need be, they were willing and able.

BTW I've worked on a film with Bronson. Very polite and professional, and would not put up with the 12-hour days that are the industry norm. He said he'd already paid his dues and he would work 8 hours per day like a normal person, period!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:35 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top