Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:33 PM

20 posts, read 38,428 times

Advertisements

If anyone can give me any information on Columbia Falls, that would be fantastic.
I searched it in the forums, but I didn't quite get what I needed. What I'm looking for is a couple posts up (or down depending on your settings.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 04:00 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
The questions that you asked really aren't unique to Columbia Falls, I answered most of them when I gave some answers to the person writing about Bigfork. Take a look at those posts and it's the same answers as Columbia Falls. As far as high school kids go, I don't think one town means much different than others.

To do the research, you'll have to come visit Columbia Falls, talk to the high school kids, see if it's where you'd like to set your story. They say good writing comes from doing good research, and you can only do good research by pounding the pavement.

There's lots of Montana history books that you can check out from your library (use interlibrary loan if necessary) and lots of books about Western Montana that you can read about. Take a look at those.

Personally, I think there are a lot of towns in Montana that would be a lot more fun to write about than Columbia Falls or Whitefish or Kalispell...there are lots of old time ghost towns like Bannock, Virgina City, etc....there are lots of newer ghost towns like Medina. There are towns with one room school houses, there are towns that are the upswing and towns that are on the downswing. There are college towns and there are places some people call Mayberry. You really have a lot to choose from.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:53 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
If I were you, my short list would be Libby, Eureka, Hamilton, Kalispell or Columbia Falls.
One interesting thing about Flathead Valley is that first year I spent in Mt. was in the Flathead Valley and that at the end of the summer, I read in the paper that the authorities had to remove 70 problem bears from the valley that summer and 19 of them were grizzlies ! Plenty of wolves around but you don't see all that many in the valley anymore because of all the "Little boxes made of ticky tacky" ! Anyone remember that song ? One thing to remember is if you use Columbia falls for the location for the book, I wouldn't mention the falls because there aren't any and never were !

Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
One thing to remember is if you use Columbia falls for the location for the book, I wouldn't mention the falls because there aren't any and never were !
Actually there is, behind Glacier Bank. Granted it's made of concrete and boulders and is hooked to the city water system but it is a "falls" and is named such. From what I understand there was another town named Columbia so when this one was created they added "falls" to it. I wouldn't have done that, maybe Columbia Mtn or Columbia View or they could have named it North,Middle or South Fork.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Personally, I think there are a lot of towns in Montana that would be a lot more fun to write about than Columbia Falls or Whitefish or Kalispell...there are lots of old time ghost towns like Bannock, Virgina City, etc....there are lots of newer ghost towns like Medina. There are towns with one room school houses, there are towns that are the upswing and towns that are on the downswing. There are college towns and there are places some people call Mayberry. You really have a lot to choose from.
The story I'm writing is not just about Columbia Falls. I just needed somewhere to place my characters so that I could make the story as real as possible. I need somewhere that is relatively modern and I don't think that old timey would really fit in with the story. Thanks for all the help though!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:22 AM

102 posts, read 271,735 times
I'm thnking movie rights here.... tag line...a modern but non-touristy, small Montana town in the mountains faces down the threat of wolves....

Old 07-23-2008, 09:35 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually there is, behind Glacier Bank. Granted it's made of concrete and boulders and is hooked to the city water system but it is a "falls" and is named such. From what I understand there was another town named Columbia so when this one was created they added "falls" to it. I wouldn't have done that, maybe Columbia Mtn or Columbia View or they could have named it North,Middle or South Fork.
I remember when they built those falls....I never thought about the name at all growing up, it was just called Columbia Falls. Then all of a sudden people started asking where the falls were, and thought it was really weird when people gave them a blank stare and said "there aren't any." So yes, someone (I don't know who, jimj probably does) decided to create an artifical water falls in the town so people could go look at the falls in Columbia Falls.

I think many people who live in the city think it's rather silly but I guess the tourists like it.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalCalifornian View Post
I'm thnking movie rights here.... tag line...a modern but non-touristy, small Montana town in the mountains faces down the threat of wolves....

what?!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:41 AM

Thanks for all of your wonderful help, you guys!
Super excited to get back to writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana