U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:45 AM

20 posts, read 33,195 times

Advertisements

I originally started this thread in the Colorado section, but it seems that what I need cannot be found there. So I packed my bags and moved to Montana!

Mmmkay, so I know this may sound a little odd (or it may not), but I'm working on a story (just a hobby) and I would like it to be based in Montana. The story is a fiction book based on wolves (sort of) and I've heard that there have been wolf sightings/ small packs here. However, I do not live there and would like to find a town for the story to be set in. So here's what I'm looking for:

>Small town (you know the type where everyone knows everyone... 3,000 to 8,000 people)
>A large amount of natural forested area
>Somewhat mountainous (foot hills maybe??)
>NOT TOURISTY (please and thankyou!)
>Very... homey. ( I can't really think of a better word to put there but if you don't understand what I mean then just ignore it.)
>Has a high shool (not really necessary, but it would be nice)
>Somewhere that has had a few stray wolf sightings. (again not necessary but it would be helpful)
>New Englandish?

Alright well I think that's about it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:10 AM

155 posts, read 639,141 times
Well there are many places like that around the park area, having it to be not touristy maybe hard and especially 3,000-8,000 people that is a fairly descent size town if you are in Montana. I would say try researching Livingston (larger community) , Gardiner (apprx. 1,000 people), and West Yellowstone. Somewhere near Yellowstone Park, there is plenty of wolves there. Yellowstone Park has wolves and they are currently covering most of the surrounding areas (kind of a heated topic throughout MT and the area). So that is where I would start.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:42 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,462,668 times
Columbia Falls would fit what you're looking for. We had a newspaper article about 3 months ago about someone out walking being surrounded by a small pack of wolves beleive it or not. One high school,one middle and 2 elementary schools and a population of about 4000. Definately NOT the tourist town that'd be Whitefish or Kalispell or Bigfork. C-Falls is the bedroom community for Kalispell and Whitefish.
Heck, we've had wolves and coyotes in the back yard from time to time.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:31 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,152,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
C-Falls is the bedroom community for Kalispell and Whitefish.
Columbia Falls traditionally been a major source of income for the Flathead Valley, and for many years people commuted to Columbia Falls to work. Plum Creek Timber Company and Columbia Falls Aluminum Company are two of the major sources of good paying jobs in the Flathead.

Unfortunately, when the power companies deregulated back in around 2000, the price of power zoomed in the Flathead and has made things unstable for CFAC. I just read that they dropped back down to one potline once again, and of course, there is the potential that they may close at some point. Plum Creek still provides good jobs but the timber market is less stable today than it was years ago.

And now that the whole economy has turned to real estate, it's probably true that Columbia Falls is now a bedroom community. It's rather sad, though, because there used to be so many good paying jobs based out of that town. They always used to hang that over the heads of Whitefish, since Whitefish only had low paying service industry jobs and you had to drive to Columbia Falls to make real money.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:28 AM

Default Columbia Falls?

Can you guys tell me more about columbia falls?

Old 07-18-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos.of.sarah View Post
Can you guys tell me more about columbia falls?
What do you want to know? I can answer any specific questions you have but I won't do your research for you.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
What do you want to know? I can answer any specific questions you have but I won't do your research for you.
no i know.. i just kind of want to know what it's like.. if it would be fitting for backround of the story..
what are people like there?
what about weather?
what is the community like?
what are the students/ teens like? (I expect this will be the same as the rest of the us but you never know)
what are the main hotspots of the area (like hangouts)
what is the high school like? (my characters are in their late teens)
the kind of stuff i can't research..

Old 07-18-2008, 01:19 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos.of.sarah View Post
*Snip*

>Small town (you know the type where everyone knows everyone... 3,000 to 8,000 people)
>A large amount of natural forested area
>Somewhat mountainous (foot hills maybe??)
>NOT TOURISTY (please and thankyou!)
>Very... homey. ( I can't really think of a better word to put there but if you don't understand what I mean then just ignore it.)
>Has a high shool (not really necessary, but it would be nice)
>Somewhere that has had a few stray wolf sightings. (again not necessary but it would be helpful)
>New Englandish?

Alright well I think that's about it. Thanks!
Not to be rude, but wouldn't a person find a homey, forested "New Englandish" town in New England? I can't think of a Montana town that would fit the bill of "New Englandish".

Maybe Ft. Benton or Boulder? (Based on the other descriptions)

Old 07-18-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Not to be rude, but wouldn't a person find a homey, forested "New Englandish" town in New England? I can't think of a Montana town that would fit the bill of "New Englandish".

Maybe Ft. Benton or Boulder?

I'm fimiliar with the New England types of towns, so that would have been my first preference, but I'm now looking into Columbia Falls which pretty much fits the physical description I needed... minus the 'New England' look.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:37 PM

Try a search for Columbia Falls on here, a lot has already been written about the town.

Other book researchers have also posted on here, and the same responses would be relevant for your book as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or