U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,206 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately what you say is all too true, and exactly what is happening to the Bitterroot Valley right now. The population has reached a point where the out of staters out number the locals and are actively zoning to make sure we can no longer afford to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 11:33 AM

495 posts, read 56,470 times
rootsense wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately what you say is all too true, and exactly what is happening to the Bitterroot Valley right now.

Correction "It has ALREADY happened"

Old 05-23-2007, 04:53 AM

6 posts, read 14,452 times
JoeJoeMan- please tell me where you think the best place is to move and live? Thunder Lake

Old 05-23-2007, 12:46 PM

495 posts, read 56,470 times
Thunderman wrote :
Quote:
JoeJoeMan- please tell me where you think the best place is to move and live? Thunder Lake
Did you mean in Montana or anywhere ?

In either case it all depends what you are looking for.

Just a couple of 'my' quick thoughts......If you like foo-foo montana, it is easily found. If you are looking for the opposite of that don't limit your choices to Montana, because you may find yourself moving somewhere in the state and then in a few years find out that everything you wanted to leave behind is now creeping in on you. Even if you get out into the middle of MT somewhere, there is a good chance a big foo-foo McMansion will get blopped down right smack dap in the middle of your once pristine view, and that's gotta make you say "Ah Sh*T",
So you gotta stay more than a few steps ahead of the crowds, and when it comes to crowds it seems like all roads lead to montana these days.
Occasionaly I drive thru parts of Idaho that are really out there and they seem a million miles away from foo-foo life, those little towns and out of the way places remind me of the Montana that use to be, I look at them and think, there really doesn't seem to be anything here to attract the foo-foo crowd to come in and expliot it, the places have that lonely and depressed feeling, no yuppie coffee shops, no ski slopes, no big city close by, no books or movies written about them, no foo-foo-ness to attract more foo-foo-ness....once the foo-foo moves in it's like a magnant for more foo-foo....so there all sort of places out there.
I guess I don't feel bad about saying, or telling a secret that there are nice places, and in mentioning that areas of Idaho is one....because I don't think the foo-foo crowds really has the stomach to move to such places, they are just way to much like normal boring america, like I said the foo-foo crowd wants company, they don't want real rural life, that' be way to boring for them.
So my friend, choose wisely, it's all in what you are looking for.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:01 PM

11 posts, read 22,644 times
Please see my post to Vent:fleeing from traffic. I too was from that "C" state
and have not regretted being "From" there- a long way from there.
I just took the photo that is attached from my deck-that's the Beartooth Mountains-one of the reasons I like it here-the other reason is the great people I've met- I'm trying to be "deCaliforniaized" and become a Montanan
Attached Thumbnails
This Californian moving to Montana (a few comments)-mvc-783f.jpg  

Old 05-24-2007, 01:34 PM

11 posts, read 22,644 times
Having come from Northern California,we were not prepared for a Montana winter (however I'm told they are milder than in the "old days") But we survived learned a lot -plug in heaters for the engine,hauling water in the snow,black ice, 60 mph winds when it's -10,flannel lined jeans, ear muffs,insulated work gloves,survival kits for the cars,heated buckets for the horses, heated dog dish, getting "dusted" out on the interstae by a passing vehicle and having an instant whiteout. plowing snow,bringing in firewood when you can't see much because of the blowing snow,etc,etc,-would I trade it? -no way.
P.S. My cold blooded wife is warmer up here than she ever was in Grass Valley,CA. I think it's because there is less humidity.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:25 AM

5 posts, read 16,299 times
Where are other places that are slow with decent weather? I live in Portland oregon area and am tired of the rain raised in SE Washington. Looking for place to retire where it does not rain all the time, but has 4 seasons.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:23 PM

529 posts, read 1,362,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skizziks View Post
Where are other places that are slow with decent weather? I live in Portland oregon area and am tired of the rain raised in SE Washington. Looking for place to retire where it does not rain all the time, but has 4 seasons.
Whitman, County - Colfax, Washington comes to mind

Old 05-28-2007, 08:01 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,772 posts, read 11,969,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Heart Wrote:

That's why we(well some of us) don't want it to change.......you can bet it won't change for the better, and as you can tell from recent change - it hasn't been for the better.
I shop local mostly, only go to a big box store if I can't find it anywhere else and if I really need it.
I'll agree things are nice/nicer here, that's why everyone moving here ticks me off, because it use to be even nicer.
I do howerver just see that whole business of door holding, saying hi, etc as superfisical jestures. I've lived around here long enough to detect a certain phoneyness, and I'll just leave it at that with going into examples.
People that move here, have this "I wanna be part of the community", they want "To get involved in the comminity"....what's that some kind of californian thing..........Missoula has this really phony facade of community, I feel like they've turned the place it into a carnival like atmosphere, with that merry-go-round and all that foo-foo downtown stuff, the whole thing seems a bit surreal - real people in real towns don't act like that, they just act like plain old, people in Missoula are just a little over the top with the "quality of life" thing. The whole thing seems very phoney to me. And I don't trust phoney people, as well anyone shouldn't.
I just love this attitude here, we have lived in MT for over 5 years and found that outside of the cities like Missoula most of the "locals" which are defined (by themselves) as people who were born here will not (for the most part) have anything to do with people that were not born here. Let me start by saying that the scenery is wonderful here, it is very quiet as well (except for tourist season) and everything important (schools,government and small business) runs 20 years behind the times. It takes at least a year for people to talk to newcomers beyond hello, if at all, and I have never seen a bunch of people that run from confrontation so much in my life! Yes, I am sure I will get the flames about the last statement but take what recently happened as an example. 2 school coaches take a bus load of kids to a function and on the way back stopped and bought the kids beer. Nothing much happened to the coaches and I heard people complain that the parents should just shut up and let the school deal with it. As for phoney people that you talk about, is it any less phony or is it better in your mind to smile at people, talk to them like you care and then gossip and demean them behind their backs? Is it better that one or two "local" families run the towns? I have seen a business run out of town because it "offended" a member of one of the "local" families.
They talk about community here, yes it exists as long as you go along and don't disagree with the "locals". The biggest problem here is progress, people either want it to stay like it was 25 years ago when all the streets were dirt and it looked like something out of a wild west movie, or want to protect the power and influence that they have or, slam the door shut now that they have theirs.
As for holding doors etc, god forbid that your parents taught you manners (not a local thing) and you want to be polite. I will try to remember to let the door slam in front of you and not even acknowledge your presence when I see you and forget the "phoney" wave when we drive by (which is standard here). I guess what I am saying is that this place is wonderful if you bring your own companionship or have "local" family to visit with because you can pretty much forget about anything other than the most superficial contact otherwise. Also, be careful about where you move! God help you if you live in Columbia Falls, or worse the CANYON! You would think that all of the evil in the Flathead valley has come out of the canyon........ These attitudes are courtesy of the "plain old people" you love so much! I am sure those attitudes you and others share were the same ones the indians had when we came! I will leave you with one question, what are the "native" bumperstickers all about anyway?

Last edited by jimj; 05-28-2007 at 08:19 AM..

Old 05-28-2007, 12:09 PM

529 posts, read 1,362,896 times
Those "Montana Native" bumper stickers are more for the transplants anymore these days... sort of make 'em feel good when they stick 'em on their cars.....

As far as Columbia Falls? Well, most transplants don't know that for every 1 native that lives there, there are 20 more transplants.

And.... now get this...... most "true natives" are the kindest folks in the world, and know a great deal about manners..... Maybe the coy attitude has more to do with our not much caring for those who would be wanting to "Improve Us" than anything else.

It's not the job, of those who would move here, to change us..... we're fine the way we are.... we're easy going, and polite...... but we also tell it the way it is..... most folks who come here can't handle that, and I'm sorry for them because of it.

There are more folks in Columbia Falls that claim to be native than you can shake a stick at..... those who've been here for 10 or 15 years, thinking they've got a good bead on things, and really don't...... there are too many of them over there anymore.
It can take an entire lifetime for a transplant to learn the way we do things here.... in the mean time, we would hope that they not become too militant about things, or impatient about it all.

As one of our "native" county commissioners put it over in Granite County once back in '89....
>>> ..."We have a two lane road leading into town, and we have a two lane road leading out..... pick your pleasure".... <<<

The fact that we do things the way we do here, has been sort of a double edged sword for most of us...... folks pile in here by the numbers, clammering to have the type of life we have.... and then, they turn around after they get here and shuck and jaw about it all.....

Sure, there are any numbers of folks over in the Kalispell/Whitefish areas that would much prefer to "drive" their kids the whole 1 and 1/3 miles to school rather than have their kids ride on the bus with normal folks or walk.... It's hard to get on board with that kind of mindset...... Most of us just couldn't imagine ever "not being friendly", but with this latest influx of people moving in, we witness "self absorbtion" on the transplants behalf every day......

I can walk into Denny's up in Whitefish any day of the week..... Tip my hat to a stranger, smile and say howdy, and get a dirty look nearly every time... Transplants up there don't have the time for those of us that made Montana what it is.....
Yet here we have transplants wondering why we would be so coy..... they don't want to talk to us.... so we talk amongst ourselves.

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 05-28-2007 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana