U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:59 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,565,283 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, Montana is gorgeous, but afger 13 years here I'm moving back to my home state of Wyoming. I'm a teacher, and as was already said, there is GREAT disparity in the pay between the 2 states. My wage for the same job I was doing in MT will be $17,000 more/year in WY and my husband is getting a raise with his same company he is transferring with. Enough said about the economy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,868,216 times
I've never lived in Wyoming but the property prices and the food prices in North central Montana are unbelievably low and the lack of sales tax is great. Montana also has some extraordinary freedoms such as a very liberal medical marijuana program. Another thing is despite the recent so called banning of open containers of alcohol in vehicles still allows the passengers to have one. The new law actually only bans the driver from having one !
Whether one considers these liberties good or bad is another story but I think freedom and lots of it is good.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:01 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,323 times
I've never lived in Wyoming either. I do have some friends in Cody and spent some time in Laramie when my friend was at Wyo Tech. I remember going out there a lot as a kid both for the bounty there was on coyotes (does Wy still do that?) and to get the good fireworks for the 4th!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 AM

369 posts, read 1,300,094 times
PG77 asks:
Quote:
What about Administrative Assistant jobs?
There are many categories of Admin Assistant in a variety of fields from financial to legal and more. Depending on your education, skills, experience and the field, in Montana the range is from $13K (Administrative Coordinator) to $35K (Executive Assistant) with the average $29K.

I'd suggest that you Google: "Administrative Assistant Salary by State". A wealth of information in there.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:15 PM

3,758 posts, read 7,656,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
PG77 asks:

There are many categories of Admin Assistant in a variety of fields from financial to legal and more. Depending on your education, skills, experience and the field, in Montana the range is from $13K (Administrative Coordinator) to $35K (Executive Assistant) with the average $29K.

I'd suggest that you Google: "Administrative Assistant Salary by State". A wealth of information in there.
Thank you for this information. I am having a hard time finding employment in Washington (a place I do not care for after moving here from Florida). I would love to find a peaceful place to live and work.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 AM

2,787 posts, read 3,660,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I've never lived in Wyoming but the property prices and the food prices in North central Montana are unbelievably low and the lack of sales tax is great. Montana also has some extraordinary freedoms such as a very liberal medical marijuana program. Another thing is despite the recent so called banning of open containers of alcohol in vehicles still allows the passengers to have one. The new law actually only bans the driver from having one !
Whether one considers these liberties good or bad is another story but I think freedom and lots of it is good.
well wyoming like montana has places where property is fairly low and places where it is outrageous.property taxes are lower in wyoming,there is no state income tax,gas and diesel taxes are lower,college tuition is much lower,and wages 'can be' much higher.....i do find that montana is 'generally greener' as far as terrain and i do think that a much higher percentage of the state is more 'scenic' then wyoming[though they both have many very beautiful areas]ive had family living in montana since the late 1860's and i like both states very much.i think if making money is your most important criteria you will likely prefer wyoming while if you can afford it and desire to see great scenery without having a bit of a drive you would prefer montana generally.with the exception of pinedale and sheridan most of the other wyoming 'energy boom towns' arent considered too scenic by most people and most of the more attractive towns in wyoming have no or little energy but still have high realestate prices[due to the scenery]but little in the way of good jobs....i personally like central montana better than western montana but different people like different things.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,868,216 times
I like both states and I may even end up in Wyoming some day. I get itchy feet and need to mosey on to a different place every 8 or 10 years. Too much to see to stay in one area forever !
Attached Thumbnails
Montana better place to live than Wyoming?-sign-funny.jpg  

Old 07-24-2008, 11:02 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,836,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
There are some very nice places in Wyoming, small communities in the North Central part, those that surrounding Yellowstone National Park. The southern part is pretty bleak if you ask me.
So basically, going North, Wyoming looks better the closer you get to Montana?

Old 07-28-2008, 06:43 AM

535 posts, read 1,392,407 times
as a whole? are we talking if you were dropped blindfolded with no supplies and a pocketknife and forced to survive for a few years........I suppose.......nevermind. My bet goes to wyoming as a better place to live, but i'd rather live in montana.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:49 PM

148 posts, read 485,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Ok. Who has the jobs? Montana or Wyoming?
Neither...thats not even a good arguement...what you guys have a city the size of Richardson, Texas (never heard of it...my point exactly) and all of the sudden now you guys have jobs? I dont know much about Western Montana but if you look at Glendive, Sidney, Miles City, Glasgow...those cities are closing McDonalds, K-Marts, amongst a lot of small business's. You have maybe 3 cities that are growing...Bozeman, Missoula, and Billings (aka college towns)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or