Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:56 AM

8 posts, read 13,148 times

Advertisements

Hello All! I've decided that I would like to move out west to either Montana, Idaho or Colorado in Spring 2015. As far as Montana goes, I've been to Billings, Butte, The Glacier National Parks and Kalispell. Doing some research on Montana, I have Missoula as my number one choice because of they have sports team as well as leagues for average joes to play in and I love the outdoors as well as music which Missoula seems to have to have places to see bands.
Here's some info on me

1. Im from the Twin Cities area Minnesota and I enjoy the 4 seasons that goes with it. We just survived the bitterest winter in decades so cold weather and snow is something Im used to and willing to deal with.

2. I enjoy outdoors activities such as hiking, biking, xc skiing, snowboarding, broomball(I usually play outside) and longboarding for example. I would like to try fly fishing and river rafting in the future.

3. I work at Costco and have been for over 9 years now and knowing that Montana have 4 or 5 locations, I could transfer to one of them. My girlfriend might come with and she's experienced with both retail and PCA work.

4. I enjoy road trips and one of the reasons I want to go to Montana is because its close by to Idaho, Wyoming and not too far Utah, Washington, Oregon, California which I think is cool.

So the question is which cities do you guys think might be a good fit for me and if I left anything else out, what would you recommend me in order to get ready for both positives and negatives about Montana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 07:31 PM

629 posts, read 1,712,903 times
Missoula or Bozeman would probably be a good fit for you to start since they both have a Costco. That would provide you with the most seamless transition coming out and they're bigger cities with a more active social / music / recreation scene for young people than Billings or Kalispell would have.

If you can handle a Minnesota winter you'll be able to handle a Montana one in any of those locations. Maybe a few more gray days in Missoula or Kalispell than you're used to though.

Anytime you're moving somewhere new like that I'd recommend the same things,
1) have some money saved up,
2) minimize expenses when you get here, either by renting a room or rooms from someone on a month to month basis or rent a studio or 1 BR apt rather than a 2 BR apt. Friends and family can find somewhere else to stay if they want to visit and locking yourself into a bigger (more expensive) rental for 12 months can be a killer if you hit the 3 month mark and decide it's just not the place for you.
3) get out and do things in the community as much as you can in order to meet people, find areas you like and explore new interests. If you have to watch any television in Montana during the summer you're doing something wrong.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:08 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,201,592 times
You may find that transferring to Bozeman or Missoula is very difficult. When a friend of mine tried to get on for a single forklift position at Bozeman, there were over 50 applicants with college degrees (I don't know about the students). Jobs paying more than $20/hr are not common in Montana, particularly without a trade. Good luck and I know you'll want to stay at Costco. I can't wait for Costco in Tulsa to open next year!

Old 10-23-2014, 07:30 AM

10,224 posts, read 13,730,469 times
Bozeman, Missoula, and Kalispell cost a small fortune to live in. Billings might be a bit better. Not sure about Butte or if they even have a Costco.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:24 PM

"If you have to watch television during summer in Montana, you're doing something wrong" Amen to that brother! I can't imagine doing any television at all if I'm surround with lots of outdoors stuff to do. Thank you all for positive and realistic responses! Butte doesn't have a Costco and driving around that town, I would be surprised to see one there but you never know! I will definitely try to transfer to Bilings, Kalispell, Missoula and Bozeman location for this upcoming year and hopefully I'll get something out of it.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:57 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,877,205 times
Costco??? That is not ancostco within 120 mikes. I don't mind a bit.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:42 AM

6,740 posts, read 8,501,590 times
We've got one in Helena, I've only been in there twice.

The Big Lots we just got is the place for excellent prices

I know Costco has a lot more stuff and a bigger selection of frozen meats etc, but I never really liked the idea of paying for a membership just for the priviledge of shopping at a particular store.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:02 PM

19,363 posts, read 22,309,954 times
One of my friends was a buyer for Costco waaaaay back when they were small (before the name Costco), I got in on a lifetime membership deal that still applies.

Costco is okay as long as you go in the store with a dedicated list. If you start milling around without purpose it's easy to walk out of there with a $300 tab.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:04 PM

19,363 posts, read 22,309,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnRaiders85 View Post
Hello All! I've decided that I would like to move out west to either Montana, Idaho or Colorado in Spring 2015. As far as Montana goes, I've been to Billings, Butte, The Glacier National Parks and Kalispell. Doing some research on Montana, I have Missoula as my number one choice because of they have sports team as well as leagues for average joes to play in and I love the outdoors as well as music which Missoula seems to have to have places to see bands.
Here's some info on me

1. Im from the Twin Cities area Minnesota and I enjoy the 4 seasons that goes with it. We just survived the bitterest winter in decades so cold weather and snow is something Im used to and willing to deal with.

2. I enjoy outdoors activities such as hiking, biking, xc skiing, snowboarding, broomball(I usually play outside) and longboarding for example. I would like to try fly fishing and river rafting in the future.

3. I work at Costco and have been for over 9 years now and knowing that Montana have 4 or 5 locations, I could transfer to one of them. My girlfriend might come with and she's experienced with both retail and PCA work.

4. I enjoy road trips and one of the reasons I want to go to Montana is because its close by to Idaho, Wyoming and not too far Utah, Washington, Oregon, California which I think is cool.

So the question is which cities do you guys think might be a good fit for me and if I left anything else out, what would you recommend me in order to get ready for both positives and negatives about Montana?
Helena would be a good spot for you!

Old 10-28-2014, 03:12 PM

Costco isn't for everyone but you can't fault the treatment the employees are getting from current CEO Craig Jilenek. The membership is there so the prices can stay the way they are now. There is one indeed in Helena, I skipped that one because while it's a nice looking town, Helena didn't have any sports teams that I could root for because I love going to games so it's mandatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana